• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rob.duke

Carbon Fibre Sunroof Blanking Plate

rob.duke

Hi Guys,

I'm now back from the 'ring, if anyone does want to come and have a loof at the carbon plate i'm available.

I take the point about a full length roof being attractive and actually did ask the question when I was sorting mine but decided against it in the end as i was trying to get the lightest solution and didn't want to add more material by having 'double' the material. I suppose you could cut the roof out leaving a few inches to bond a full size panel on, but it wasn't for me.

I would be interested to see if anyone actually can make a panel to fit from the inside, from my experiences with this one I would avoid it, due to the internal workings and the fact you couldn't make a mould to suit all cars as each car will have varying degrees of rust around the edge. mine is a clean car but I still had to chop a bit of rust away that was previously hidden by the sunroof. You would still have to fill and seal any gaps!

Anyway, pm me for a contact number if anyone does want to order one or have a look at mine!

Rob :rolleyes:

fliprio
Hi Guys,

I'm now back from the 'ring, if anyone does want to come and have a loof at the carbon plate i'm available.

I take the point about a full length roof being attractive and actually did ask the question when I was sorting mine but decided against it in the end as i was trying to get the lightest solution and didn't want to add more material by having 'double' the material. I suppose you could cut the roof out leaving a few inches to bond a full size panel on, but it wasn't for me.

I would be interested to see if anyone actually can make a panel to fit from the inside, from my experiences with this one I would avoid it, due to the internal workings and the fact you couldn't make a mould to suit all cars as each car will have varying degrees of rust around the edge. mine is a clean car but I still had to chop a bit of rust away that was previously hidden by the sunroof. You would still have to fill and seal any gaps!

Anyway, pm me for a contact number if anyone does want to order one or have a look at mine!

Rob :)

can you get fibreglass versions in a white gell coat? my car is white and would look slightly out of place using the carbon fibre, although I suppose the orginal sunroof was dark as well!

rob.duke
can you get fibreglass versions in a white gell coat? my car is white and would look slightly out of place using the carbon fibre, although I suppose the orginal sunroof was dark as well!

Sorry, the guy who makes them is a carbon fibre manufacturer so he doesn't do fibreglass.

You could always paint the panel if you didn't want the carbon finish, personally I like it.

The guy has made another friend a bonnet and engine cover for his 911, he has painted them both white and they look great!

fliprio
Sorry, the guy who makes them is a carbon fibre manufacturer so he doesn't do fibreglass.

You could always paint the panel if you didn't want the carbon finish, personally I like it.

The guy has made another friend a bonnet and engine cover for his 911, he has painted them both white and they look great!

cheers Rob, shame, it was worth asking.

Seems a shame to paint over the carbon fibre since your paying to have a nice carbonfibre style finish

calvinhorse

Will this fit a 309?

joe1joe

has anyone got his number? as he hasnt been on for a while so dont think he will reply to a pm cheers

tom_m

Unless I've missed something, from the roof rubber and lack of holes in the rest of the roof I'd say he's replaced a non-standard pop-up sunroof, not the oe sliding vacuum job. These tend to be smaller, so panel may not fit if you're trying to replace an oe jobbie.

Arahan

In an earlier post he mentions that he had the rails and everything removed and the roof repainted

joe1joe

He mentions it in his first post i may go for it.

just trying to find out whether it meets msa regulation?

And of corse his number!

Edited by joe1joe

djinuk

i looked into making these.. however eventually after much research (see my countless threadS), i decided it will never look great, in the end i found a great guy at a bodyshop who allowed me to cut the roof off a 205, and drop it off with my car.

Is unpicked all the welds and swapped the roofs, hey presto

see thread

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=98935

Hes based in the midlands (swadlincote) if that helps

stu8v
i looked into making these.. however eventually after much research (see my countless threadS), i decided it will never look great, in the end i found a great guy at a bodyshop who allowed me to cut the roof off a 205, and drop it off with my car.

Is unpicked all the welds and swapped the roofs, hey presto

see thread

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=98935

Hes based in the midlands (swadlincote) if that helps

I agree it will never look perfect, but what it does do is make the best of a bad job, I have seen many "nailed on" rough jobs that somewhat spoil many nice cars.

I'm just going to put a full non sunroof roof on mine though. Too be fair its not much of a job to do in reality.

stu8v

Just looked at your build thread (djinuk), in a nushell the guys you used have no idead how to fit a roof skin they have done a bad job. I wouldnt reccomend then to anyone IMHO.

If the bothered to sand the pillars a little further up they would have seen the brazed join where it attaches, you split it there and at the top of the b pillar, just warm it up and remove the bronze join drill a few spot welds and it nigh on falls off.

I cant believe they are a bodyshop TBH, I'm an electrician by trade and can do a better job. The previous Rally Car I did had minimal distortion and the mearest hint of filler before paint!!!!

djinuk

They actually spoke to me about this, the roof is sleeved onto the existing, the problem with unpiking the spot welds as was found on the original was that it was very difficult to remove without actually rippling the roof, as the car was desigined to be a 'pretty' track car it was decided against this and instead the descision was made to actually sleeve the 2 roofs toether further down the piller, this means the roof has plenty of strength, maintains the original shape size etc and any filler work is well away from super flexible parts of the car (i.e the roof).

I appreciate what you are saying though however the bodyshop showed me the full process (possibly because i was there most weekends), its a process they often use when restoring very old classics as roof skins are often n/a and therefore this is the method they take to avoid destorying what can be very hard to get hold of roofs.

The bodyshop is very well established and often used by classic car enthusiasts so ill stand by and say the work ive seem them produce is amazing.