• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rob.duke

Carbon Fibre Sunroof Blanking Plate

rob.duke

Hi Folks,

I'm currently going through the process of de-sunroofing my 205.

It had the sliding style sunroof which I have removed, rails and all and have had painted leaving a lovely clean hole.

I am looking into getting a mould taken off the sunroof, extended to suit, so resulting carbon fibre panel has the curved front edge and also fits the double curvature of the roof without any awkward to seal gaps/kinks.

The guy has a great track record and has done work for Bugatti, Mercedes and AMG so no forseen quality issues, he also does work on a smaller scale (like this) and has made bonnet's, doorcards etc.

Obviously the mould will be quite expensive and I will have to stump up for this, after which the mould will be my property and the guy say's he can use it to run off more plates. The cost will be dependent on numbers and I'm not doing it to make money, just to alleviate the cost of the mould. I also thought it is a great alternative to aluminium panels or other and easier than the roof skin route.

Anyone interested, let me know and i'll try and get back with a price and some photos as mine is due to be ready next week.

Cheers Rob :P

GilesW

Yes please.

Just stripped my slide sunroof out and was looking around for ages for just this type of thing, but was coming to teh conclusion it was going to have to be a pointless welded plate.

Any idea on time scales?

Lan

interested, depending on price and layout

asdf205

I may well be interested, again depending on the price.

rob.duke

This looks a promising reaction, mine is going to be ready for next week and the the car is ready to accept it straight away.

I'll get some pics and get the guy to commit a price for perhaps 1, 5 and 10 items. I suppose the more the cheaper really.

Thanks for the interest.

Rob :P

backroadpug

would it also fit a rallye sunroof non sliding just a tilt

if so i might be interested(would prefer kevlar tho)

GilesW

Cool.

Let us/me know asap as I maybe interested enough to get one going without waiting for all the faffing of a group buy to be bottomed out.

hcmini1989
Cool.

Let us/me know asap as I maybe interested enough to get one going without waiting for all the faffing of a group buy to be bottomed out.

ill have one please depending on price

Cameron

Many people have said they're going to do this and none have, so would be good if you actually went through with it!

All Praise The GTI

price dependent ;)

id settle for ali tho lol

joe1joe

i would also be interested obviously price dependant as if the cost were not too high i think you could sell alot of them as it is alot neater than a ali plate!

so will it go upto the windscreen rubber and all the way to the rear of the roof? and to the sort of groove on the sides of the roof?

zebedy101

I'm very interested price dependent. As Cam said loads of people have mentioned it but non have been successful yet.

rob.duke

Hi Again,

I'm confident that this will go through, I spoke to the guy who will be making the panels yesterday as I picked up my car having had the roof painted and needing this sorted for a ring trip in a couple of weeks.

He has started work on the mould!

In answer to joe1joe, it isn't the full size of the roof, it will be a few inches larger than the sunroof hole all around, ample space to bond, bolt or rivet depending on your personal choice.

I'll post any updates as I hear anything. Again, thanks for the interest.

Rob :)

Powers

Could he do a complete roof skin?

rob.duke

From what I have gleaned from conversations with him, he could do it put would need to make a seperate mould for a full roof skin

:huh:

GilesW

Ah. So the sunroof skin still bonds to the top side of the roof - a-la ali plate but just bonded?

Did you ever consider a plate that is stuck inside the roof skin?

Ie the 'raised' part of it is teh extact shape of teh whole trough the metal roof skin so that when you bond it in it forms a flat roof with the panel being teh same contour as the roof?

Still very interested though, whatever type it is.

Powers

Cheers for the reply Rob.

I will keep an eye on this topic and if the quality is good I will be in touch.

joe1joe

what about all the holes which run nearly to the back off the roof skin?? or have you had these filled and painted?? as it may be easyer to sell the panel to cover them as most people would probly prefer to have those holes coverd instead of buying the panel and then having to have the holes filled!

Jackman

I may also be interested price dependent !

Spiky

i was going to get a sheet from xpsport to replace the metal sheet i have and it was £80 for a square sheet

to give you an idea on price :lol:

rob.duke

Hi Guys,

I'll try and answer all those questions!!

I had the fixings from the rails removed and had the rest of the roof painted, A bit of a nightmare removing sunroof tbh, but sorted now. I asked about a whole roofskin but the price would have rose dramatically.

Yes the skin still bonds to the roof (a-la ali plate), I thought about something from inside but there is too much going on inside with roof-strengthening parts and my roll cage too, I would have still had to run a bead of sealer round the panel or the join would have filled with water. I also had to have a bit of the roof to the rear of the sunroof hole cut back as there was quite a bit of rust which was previously hidden by the sunroof mech. At least I know the roof is in good shape now!

I was quoted about the same (£80ish) for a flat carbon sheet, however the roof has a double curvature so it would be impossible to have it flush right around the panel, If the roof itself were flat then it would be a simple cheap option.

Rob :)

joe1joe

so this would mean we would have to have the roof painted anyway to fill in the sunroof slider bolt holes?

205*31*

am interested in this buy.

As said once sunroof removed would the carbon sheet be holed and ready to go where original sunroof holes were and also as above mentioned would it leave the holes on the slider bit?

hcmini1989

How long will we be waiting as im waiting to get my painted but id wait if i had a rough idea if its going to be age`s ill pass on these

rob.duke

Hopefully getting mine this week, I'm going to the 'ring next week so time is ticking on!!

As soon as I actually see it, i'll iron down the prices etc and post something on here.

In answer to the other questions, you do still need to paint your roof and tbh, if it's anything like mine was after i removed the rails and other sunroof parts, then you would prob want to paint it anyway!!

Rob :(