• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djc

Your Ideal 205

djc

Ok, a lot of us have commented on links for 'modified' GTI's that pop up on here from time to time, lets now describe our ideal 205 & possibly the reasons for the choices made.

Here goes with mine -

A low owner/mileage base with history/handbooks/original spare keys etc all present, colour pretty unimportant but maybe Cherry Red or Topaz. under arches freshly painted in body colour & underside freshly stonechipped to resemble 'factory fresh' look, all wishbones, subframe & beam components powdercoated in gunmetal grey, polished stainless 2" exhaust, green powdercoated brakelines. Wheels - 4 x front Dimma splits because...must have been the most desirable wheel back in the late 80's early 90's nothing compairs. Engine - Mi16 with twin DCOE's a fantastic sight to greet you when the bonnets lifted. Block powdercoated the same as the subframe, beadblasted gearbox casing, black powdercoated driveshafts. Header tank, washer bottle & radiator all in aluminium with a ball burnished finish, samco hoses throughout.

Interior - standard 1.9 black/red, standard radio (who needs more with the sidedrafts sucking air in?) Maybe a satin black cage.

Brakes - K.A.D 6 pots up front, standard disc set up to the rear.

Suspension - maybe some nice billies or coilovers.

New lights/mouldings/numberplates to freshen the rest up.

There you go - standard bodywork, it was pretty much perfect from the factory anyway, a classic engine conversion & wheels with modern brakes. Interior left standard because other than a few Recaros I have never seen any after market seats that suit the 205.

Of course, you could ignore the above & replace it with a factory Cherry Red Dimma TT!

welshpug

a standard 1.9 on aftermarket management and a mild cam, job done!

brakes are perfectly sufficient when in fine fettle IMO, and the suspension works great on Welsh roads :blush:

maybe a 22mm rear ARB.

Edited by welshpug

Baz

There isn't an ideal. Well, not for me, as it really depends what it's used for.

Otherwise i'd only have one. :blush: :blush:

Edited by Baz

Daviewonder

Ooh this is a good topic! Im quite into this idea at the moment- A totally standard looking phase 1 1.6 gti in cherry red, immaculate respray, new plastics, standard 14 inchers, 106 gti engine and management :blush:

Edited by Daviewonder

Alastairh

How i was going to build my 205 before the Mrs told me she was pregnant.

K/L plate non sunroof Steel grey. Diamond cut 1.9 wheels. 4 pot breaks of some kind. 309 width beam with uprated bars.

Original Peugeot 405 T16 lump (i had one) running aftermarket management.

Late spec green half leather interior.

As it happens, James is building an identical car using the shell i was going to use, minus the turbo though :blush:

Al

MrG

a bog std very late (93 or poss 94) 1.9 with a cat, pas and abs. A full sh and low ownership records will do fine for me. Colour, well a basic red would do the trick.

I'd be up for a 92/93 red 1.9 with PAS etc to! Getting old I reckon....

GLPoomobile

One that bloody works!

And that's not a negative comment against 205 GTIs in general, as I've never believed them to be unreliable per se, it's just how I feel about the one I have now :blush:

Paul_13

205 Base model Dturbo, 2.1TD fitted.

Hidden front mount intercooler, T3 turbo, Bosch pump (shimmed advance and modded) & injectors.

205 GTI suspension setup, 21mm arb out of 106GTI. Xsara front shocks, lowered 30mm. 309 front arb

1.9 brakes mintex pads.

Quick rack.

GTI steering wheel :D

Rusty as fook bodywork and C5 alloy steelies(?!) painted with rusty looking paint or mud.

:blush:

Pugnut

ideally we'de all like peugeot to start making them again. At the time i couldn't afford a new one and had to settle for a 4yo 1.6.

i'de love to roll a brand spanker out of the showroom.

EdCherry

And into a sealed glass box! :blush:

If I could make a perfect 205, well there wouldn't be much '205' left to be honest.

Daviewonder

That would be cool, I'd imagine there would be loads of thoughts along the lines of "oh wow look how black that bit of trims supposed to be" and "I never realised that piece of rubber was supposed to be flexable" and "so this is what a 205 sounds like with no rattles" :blush:

JamieTonks

not sure on spec but

one that scares the S**T out of me everytime i drive it lol :blush:

swordfish210

I've often thought about this as one of those "if i had the time/money" scenarios

I think i'd start with a non sunroof base model shell (i prefer the look without the arches) then stip all of the panels off of it and have it acid dipped. I'd then fit a very substantial cage and replace the panels with fibre glass parts.

Suspension; probably turret the rear with some Penske remote res dampers. Remote res Penske dampers on the front, tubular wishbones, some sort of composite subframe

Brakes: AP 4 pots on the front, floor mounted pedalbox, no servo assistance, motorbike brakes on the rear.

Engine: something from the Honda range...with the bollocks tuned off of it :blush:

I think that would be a good start anyway

Goliath

My 205 is pretty close to my 'perfect' 205 road car tbh :blush:

Roman
That would be cool, I'd imagine there would be loads of thoughts along the lines of "oh wow look how black that bit of trims supposed to be" and "I never realised that piece of rubber was supposed to be flexable" and "so this is what a 205 sounds like with no rattles" :blush:

:D yeah i still remember when i bought my second 1.9 back in 1989(brand new one)..... its sounds and look yust like you describe :D:D

djc

I notice nobodys mentioned any kind of bodykit yet....

....are we in disapproval?

Paul_13

Apart from a dimma kit yes :blush:

Baz

Nope, that too.

Weight is bad, bodykits are weight. Not to mention they look sh!t.

woo83

I recon No sunroof, ABS, power steering or air con. With a nice fresh 8v engine, in black or white on standard silver speedlines. PTS stripes on the grille, yellow driving lamps and pressed plates with standard brakes and suspension is pretty close IMO.

djc

Surely a Dimma can be excused? Its more than just a bodykit in my eyes.

screwloose

Nope its a bloody awful mistake the dimma kit.

Personally I'd love a maxi:

205maxi2.jpg

205maxi.jpg

Daviewonder

Maxi looks awesome! is there anywhere in U.K. that sells the kit?

SurGie

Apart from the indicator bodge bit.

Baz

Indicator bodge bit?

Nope, don't get it. I see an indicator hanging out a little above, forgiven because it's a rally car, not a show car.

Paul_13

Agreed with Surgie ^

I still like the dimma more :( I know it weighs a tonne but it's 'scene' :lol:

Edited by Paul_13