• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

[misc_work] Operation Super Shed

M@tt

Mini update, i've 90% finished all of the woodwork! thank god!

I spent the last couple of days cutting and fitting the window frames for the 8 (yes 8!! :() windows in the shed. I also got some glass cut for them at a local glaziers And whilst I was picking up the glass for the windows I got talking to the guy about double glazing and he told me i could just make some cheap double glazed units with 2 sheets of glass, some wooden beading to seperate them and silicone them together, so thats what i've done :o (well in the process of..) I've ordered some silica beads as well (the kinda stuff you find in sachets in new trainer boxes) which will absorb any moisture and i'll just stick some of that in the bottom of each of the windows

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

oh and i've bought a load of 4"x2" to make a chunky ass workbench! B)

Edited by M@tt

davenport

been keping an eye on this on mig-welding...

monumental respect for what you`ve achieved so far... gonna be a very pleasant place to work once finished!!

M@tt

cheers pal

like wise on the mighty 106 project!

Hopefully once its finished i'll still have some mojo left to crack on with some of my actual car projects!

davenport

haha even if you don`t buddy... you`ll have a cracking "man den" to watch telly and drink beer in peace!!!

M@tt

small update

managed to get all the windows in, the DIY double galzing has worked a treat! It really keeps the sound out and conversely should hopefully keep any banging and crashing i do in there from being heard by my neighbours

You can see the silica beads previoulsy mentioned in the bottom of the panes

IMG_0832.jpg

also had another small tidy up

IMG_0829.jpg

and i've started making my workbench

IMG_0843.jpg

willmounsey

Fair play Matt you've done a cracking job on your garage inside and out. The 4x2 is sound for a nice sturdy bench we've used the same on our own and its not too dear either.

Will

M@tt

cheers will :lol:

I've managed to knock a few more things off the todo list over the past week

1) make end fascia boards done

2) cut shingle to match done

3) seal shingle edges down done

4) make door batens done

5) make window frames done

6) get windoow glass done

7) refit side fascias done

8) fit guttering done

9) finish lining inside walls done

10) finish cutting roof insulation boards

11) finish lining roof

12) install plug sockets done

13) install lights done

14) fit wiring done

so really the main thing left is to finish fitting the roof boads and cutting up the ply lining boards to go over them, its a real PITA job that i've been putting off, but once i've finished my workbench thats pretty much all there is to do.(did a bit more on the work bench this evening)

IMG_0855.jpg

I've bought a 4HP VFD Invertor off ebay (4 days from China inc weekend and no import tax/duty, well impressed, winner!!!!) to run my milling machine off which i've mounted on the wall next to it, so that needs wiring in as well,but that shouldn't take long. It converts single phase 240v into 3 phase 240v, fortunately the motor on the milling machine is dual voltage meaning it can run 240v or 400v by changing the wiring configuration.

The collet chuck on the milling machine was a bit of a strange one, the collet system was an old make called Clare which noone seems to do anymore, so i've bought a new chuck and some ER32 collets. The only thing is, i think i will have to make a new drawbar (the long bar that goes through the milling machine and pulls the cutting chuck up into the spindle) as the one that's in it at the moment has an american 1/2" 13tpi thread on it but the new chuck has a M12 metric thread so i'll have to make one to match that.

And finally whilst the credit card was out I bought a new Halfords Pro Industrial tool chest as they were on offer this week, 1/3 off and a further £25 of if you spent over £200 so that will be going in there once i've got a bit more space tidied up ^_^

and next week i've got a couple of builders (well professional drystone wallers) coming who are going to put a gap in the drystone wall between the garden and the drive behind the gates. This is so that i can get straight to the garage without having to go out my side gate and open the double gates to the driveway. Also they are going to use all the left over stone to clad the breeze blocks visible round the bottom of the shed so that it blends in with the rest of the wall. Hopefully the weather will hold for them!

Edited by M@tt

Henry Yorke

If you need some long arms to help you with the roof boards, just give me a ring.

wracing

Something to bear in mind is the voltage options you are referring to is actually star and delta configurations. you will find that the motor will run slower than the nameplate speed and due to the nature of squirl cage motors it will be down on torque.

That aside it looking great :unsure:

James

Edited by wracing

M@tt

last week i had the builders in for a couple of days, and yet again i'm pretty disappointed with the finish!!!

To be fair they've done a pretty good job but its the final finishing off that's pissed me off. They were asked to put a gap in the dry stone wall for me and also clad the breeze block base with the dry stone wall stone so that it blends in . However whats really annoyed me is they've just dumped cement all over the top of both bits which just looks crap in my opinion! The rest of the wall had a layer of mortar put along the top with the final row of stones pressed in so god knows why they have felt the need to essentially plaster cement all over the top! anyway i think i'll just sort it myself AGAIN!

c42850df.jpg

94a20cde.jpg

Anyway beside that i need to say a big thanks to Henry for coming round during the week and helping me with the final bit of insulation cutting for the roof. Between us we manged to get it all done finishing at 12.30am! so its just the covering boards left to do then everything is done woo hoo!!!

I've also managed to finish my bench, had a big fire of all the left over wood (love a good fire!!) and started to bring a few bits and pieces back into the workshop

4c253d68.jpg

Henry Yorke

We'll get those boards done this week, just pick a day.

shalmaneser

Wow someone's got all the toys now! Milling machine, lathe and a couple of engines too by the look of it!

Top job, excellent result.

M@tt

I've started moving everything back into the shed and looks like i need a bigger shed :D

I got the car lift into its pit and it fitted perfectly :) (cheers allanallen for the measurements) you would have thought i'd have checked it fitted before now wouldn't you!! I had to dig both my 205s out of the snow last week as my CTI was sat ontop of it but after a few hours i managed to lever it into place on my own.

Anyway i also plugged it in and fired it up for the very first time since i bought it and guess what it worked a treat!!! whoop whoop. However there was a slight weeping from the main hyraulic ram so i removed it and will get a couple of new seals for it this week. I looks like that some numptey(not me!!) at some pointed painted the end of the ram but too far down so that some of it got eaten up by the seals and knackered them. New seals are only about £15 so not expensive at all.

I've also managed to get the milling machine running off the VFD, it took a bit of jigging about with the paramters in the VFD but in the end i got there and it's working a treat, so hopefully santa will bring me some cutters for xmas and then i can make some stuff with it :P

Next job is to have a proper tidy up, and sort some more storage out as i think i actually have less storage now than i did before due to bigger toys :)! doh

anyway heres a few pic of the s*it tip as it stands!

4aa8da12.jpg

2efcea2c.jpg

Atari Boy

Great job, you deserve to feel very happy with this project.

It's been a thoroughly good read too.

Peetypug

B)

wow!

matt, i am very impressed! not looked in for a while and i am very jealous!

hats off to you matey :D

TheHawk

Wow i just read this thread i would love to do something like this when i eventually get my own place!

allye

ppphhhwwwoooaaarrrrr, nice dyson ;)

M@tt

Well today I finally managed to use the lift for the first time :)

Big thanks to AllanAllen who turned me up a section of tube so that i could make a replacement arm for the lift after we managed to lose one on the journey home when it fell off the trailer en route :(

i think i could do with making a couple of longer arms to support the beam as presently one of the arm is a bit close to the fuel tank for my liking

however it all works fine and lifts the car nicely off the ground :D

PICT1952.jpg

PICT1953.jpg

PICT1955.jpg

M@tt

as a bit of a conclusion to his thread i thought i'd just show the block paving i've finally got round to getting laid.

thought about getting a firm in to do it, but it was basically going to cost about £800 in labour alone to get some one in to do it based on the couple of quotes i had. And as you will probably have gathered by now I'm too much of a tight arse to pay that, so i decided to do it myself :)

any way heres a few pics of the progress and finished article. Got to say i'm quite pleased with how it turned out :D

Dug the base out

3c2092f4.jpg

laid and compacted the sub base

8defa046.jpg

then add a bit of concrete, sand, paving blocks and voilà

d8426b10.jpg

9a067aa1.jpg

d1e757c7.jpg

The finished article

d5ad648a.jpg

Edited by M@tt

cRaig

A lovely finish to a well thought out project :)

Hopefully I will get a chance to smarten up and kit out my first garage this summer, although sadly Im starting with a 1950s pre-fab tandem garage, so the results wont be as lovely to look at! :D

A very good read of a project, btw :)

tonester84

Credit to you, from start to finish. Wish I had half your talent

calvinhorse

that pathing is awesome matt welldone! shame you didn't have it when we fetched the lathe!!

M@tt

It's amazing what a bit of Internet researching and an inbuilt tightness with money will result in :)

Calvin> you reckon that shifting that 1/2 tonne milling machine would be easier on that than the broken rubble when we did it? Pffft :) where's the fun in that!

Edited by M@tt