• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

nickaliath

Gti-6 Engine Loom Wiring Guide / Help Information

Plumbob

The ecu needs the signal from the VSS otherwise you get a "flat spot" at lower RPM's. Having said that some people say that they run a GTI-6 lump without one and don't notice a problem.

I know the guy I got my engine from said it was a bit hesitant at low revs and low and behold there was no VSS. I've fitted one to it now so fingers crossed it's fixed it.

The rev counter runs off a Spoox adaptor which is taped up inside the engine loom.

Edited by Plumbob

dobboy

I got a rev counter adaptor from someone from here, basically a few diodes and a resisistor, maybe a capacitor too. You could make one easily if you have time as RS do the parts and the diagram is kicking about the net with what components are req'd and how they should be connected.

IIRC it has 6 wires. I fitted mines underneath the coil pack cover (wrapped in cotton tape), tied in with the coil pack wires.

I fiited/soldered in a wire to each of the coil packs (windscreen side) of the plugs. (I used the iron to melt some insulation to get me to the bare copper so i could joint/solder on to them). Then wrapped the joints in self amagaly tape.

Another wire is earthed.

The final wire is the signal wire which i jointed to the original wire "112"

Works a treat.

• Like 1

blandy

with the wiring as it is you need to do an alteration to the existing rev counter to make it function.

you need to remove the display cluster, remove the clear plastic front window (which is held on by being clipped in around edges).

then you need to remove the two 6mm bolts that hold the rev counter part on and the small flat head screws next to the needle.

once you have done the above remove the needle taking care, its pushed on a pin.

with all this removed you will be able to prise out the rev counter face, take care as the face readings are stuck in the corners (well mine were).

you will see this when removed:

th_DSC02946.jpg

th_DSC02949.jpg

you will need to solder a wire across where marked with pen.

th_revcounter.jpg

below you can see where i have soldered a wire in place. (take care when soldering not to make it too hot)

th_DSC02953.jpg

job done, now refit and it should work a treat.

Did this to mine yesterday after my diode loom failed to work. I had a spare Rev counter so thought I'd give it a go. It works but the only issue is that when I run the car and the engine fan kicks in the Rev needle jumps round and then settles back down again (engine doesn't Rev just the gauge). Is this normal with this mod?

Anthony

No it's not normal, or certainly it's not with the way that I mod the tacho (slightly different to what's shown above)

Tacho on mine is rock steady regardless of electrical load and subjectively seems to be spot on accuracy wise too.

blandy

Just to follow up I've changed my fan to s new slimline fan due to bumper clearance and with the new fan the Rev counter doesn't jump anymore

Slo

That mod didnt work on mine, though saying that i used a spare rev counter too that could have been faulty i suppose.

dobboy

Came accross this that i done last year and thought it might be handy for anyone belling out their loom etc in the future.

I done this because i fitted the the other side of the big plug found on the GTI6 chassis leg that the big GTI6 engine loom plugs into.

My 205 wiring was then wired to the other plug and doing this has allowed me to unplug the engine and lift it out in it's entirety with the loom still attached. I highly recommend doing it like this.

I'm not sure what age my loom was, but if the first few wires/numbers tie up with your loom then it might save a good bit of time etc. (I should have added the plug colours while i was doing it)

I've also got a full conversion wiring diagram for a Ph1.5 to GTI6 done with Rev counter adapter connections etc if its handy for anyone in the future.

2n7fpyp.jpg

• Like 2

Dglopez

Does this diagrama fits with bosch 0261 200 218? Cant Find anywere!

Edited by Dglopez

welshpug

in respect to all the 205 wire functions that connect to the 306 loom yes, same as any engine conversion.

• Like 1

my3AWDgst

I apologize for bringing this back from the dead but I'm in need of information on smaller plug on GTI 6 engine harness.

Particularly I'm after A/C compressor input and engine-A/C fan inputs.

405's are using Birton sender and with out it engine cooling fans run at full speed at all times.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by my3AWDgst

Chipboy

I apologize for bringing this back from the dead but I'm in need of information on smaller plug on GTI 6 engine harness.

Particularly I'm after A/C compressor input and engine-A/C fan inputs.

405's are using Birton sender and with out it engine cooling fans run at full speed at all times.

Thanks in advance.

Is this still a need? If so I can assist as I have a 205 with this loom and A/C. I can buzz out the pin, no Bitron unit though, thermostat on radiator is doing this for me,

Robin205

Do the pictures on page 1 work for anyone else?

• Like 1

my3AWDgst
On 7/3/2016 at 1:55 PM, Chipboy said:

Is this still a need? If so I can assist as I have a 205 with this loom and A/C. I can buzz out the pin, no Bitron unit though, thermostat on radiator is doing this for me,

I’ve got it done,thank you.

my3AWDgst

Not too pretty but easy to understand,

DBA3D33C-86B2-4FB9-9276-E025AD2387A1.jpeg

Richie-Van-GTi

Dragging up old threads, should the GTI6 ECU have a permenent and switched live from somewhere?

I have identified all the wires in the big plug and labelled them, all match apart mfrom CC1 is white not grey.

From digging around on the web I see the smaller plug is all just ancilleries and immobiliser stuff so can be disregarded altogether?

Did the gti6 have a multifunction relay on it? I have big black plug with red slide, not sure if its ABS or a relay?

Ages since I wired a car fromscratch and even longer since it was an XU10, I cant rem,ember what was where and this loom was posted to me about a year ago

selfyyy

Should be a brown wire that is a permanant live from alternator (bb10)

Both cc1 grey (airbag) and 123 grey (lambda) connected to switched live. (Normally would use red 2a on the 6 pin gti plug). If the white you have found goes to pin 14 then it is correct although sounds like you may have found the fuel pump live coming from pin 5. Does it have a black oval plug on further down the wire?

Smaller plug can be disregarded yes.

Your big black plug needs a relay in it as the main/fuel pump relay (picture attached)

IMG_1991.JPG

• Thanks 1

Richie-Van-GTi

Perfect thanks Will, Yes it has the oval plug which I have bridged out.

Paulgiblin
On 4/3/2010 at 7:45 PM, nickaliath said:

with the wiring as it is you need to do an alteration to the existing rev counter to make it function.

you need to remove the display cluster, remove the clear plastic front window (which is held on by being clipped in around edges).

then you need to remove the two 6mm bolts that hold the rev counter part on and the small flat head screws next to the needle.

once you have done the above remove the needle taking care, its pushed on a pin.

with all this removed you will be able to prise out the rev counter face, take care as the face readings are stuck in the corners (well mine were).

you will see this when removed:

th_DSC02946.jpg

th_DSC02949.jpg

you will need to solder a wire across where marked with pen.

th_revcounter.jpg

below you can see where i have soldered a wire in place. (take care when soldering not to make it too hot)

th_DSC02953.jpg

job done, now refit and it should work a treat.

I have a rallye rev counter. Different to this one. Do u know how to make that work?