• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

nickaliath

Gti-6 Engine Loom Wiring Guide / Help Information

Jolly Green Monster

The ignition (thick red wire #2) and starter (thick light blue #46) swapped positions between Phase 1.5 and Phase 2 cars

Many thanks for that, had to swap mine yesterday :)

randomspeedfreak

despite wiring an Mi16 on a phase 2 before (easy!) im struggling with this gti-6 conversion ph1

Ive had a search and cant find anything conclusive, Ive got a 2 converted gti6 looms: one messily done phase 1 and one neat phase 2. Id ideally like to get rid of the phase 1 loom and use the phase 2 one as its in much better nic.

My car is a phase 1, and despite sitting at the fuse box looking for the numbers printed on the wires for the last hour or so i cant find many (if any) of the wire numbers listed on the chart on page 1

should i keep looking or am i missing something here? ive read somewhere the wires go straight to the dash, this is just gauges and the switched live i assume?

Im not stupid and i know its pretty simple but ive managed to confuse myself here, can someone lay it out for me please?

cheers,

Matt

dobboy

Matt, I don't think you look for numbers at the fuse box. It's at the brown plugs under dash at drivers side....

Jolly Green Monster

What he said. And the starter motor and ignition switch will need swapping

welshpug

No brown plugs on a phase 1.

randomspeedfreak

Matt, I don't think you look for numbers at the fuse box. It's at the brown plugs under dash at drivers side....

What he said. And the starter motor and ignition switch will need swapping

No brown plugs on a phase 1.

what do you mean about the starter motor mate?

so basically im going to have to trace them back to the gauges?

cheers for the help,

Matt

dobboy

I think jolly green was assuming you had brown plugs.

Jolly Green Monster

Yes i was. Only played with the wiring on phase 1.5 and phase 2 so didnt realise the phase 1 was entirely different.

dobboy

I've noticed today that I only have 1 brown plug, (ph1.5 car). The loom comes through from engine bay and splits, 5 wires to a brown plug and the others continue up into the dash.

• Like 1

Jolly Green Monster

1.5 should have the two under steering wheel as pictured on previous pages

welshpug

nope, not the earliest ones.

PICT0055.jpg

PICT0172.jpg

PICT0177.jpg

Edited by welshpug

welshpug

it was a Phase 1.5 E reg 1.6.

Slo

That explains it then mines an e reg 1.6 phase 1 but cti well it was originally anyway

Jolly Green Monster

So surely it was a phase 1 then?

dcc

why surely?

these cars are a mix and match at best.

welshpug

no.

Slo

So surely it was a phase 1 then?

I was thinking the same the phase 1 wiring doesnt match up with the phase 2 dash some of the connectors are different the heater for one and its all routed different???

And I have a phase 1.5 grey dash too its no different to the phase 2 black dash I have in mine now

Edited by Slo

dobboy

WP, i've had a closer look at my brown plug (as per your pics) and its very similar, with the exception that i have an additional wire going out to the engine ... #45 in pin 5 (which i can't find in Haynes), it's tucked in with my 46A's

Would i be right in thinking that the un-numbered black wires that go into the green bit of heatshrink, (on both sides of the plugs), with the blue wires (on each side of the plug (2 on the engine side)), are what is refered to as the "switched live" ? (if not, is that why you look as though you are using 32A? as the switched live to the double relay?

the bottom line is that for this type of set up only 3 new wires are needed to be run from brown plug to GTI6 loom:

(To) Starter

(For)Fuel Pump

(To) wires that need a switched live

p.s. i've just realised my Tacky relay must? be in engine bay as why else would i have a 32A going out to bay? .... and yours was the same hence using 32A as the switched live?!

Slo

Phase 1 tacky relay should be in a box underneath the battery. I don't know how similar the gti6 and turbo looms are but on the turbo loom 32a does go to the double relay.

dobboy

WP, hope you don't mind but i has a squint at your photobucket pics and realised my #45 must be your #46but my ink has came off.

your pic

http://s47.photobucket.com/user/welshpug/media/hardgraf%2016v%20install/PICT0177.jpg.html#/user/welshpug/media/hardgraf%2016v%20install/PICT0179.jpg.html?&_suid=139152901818707876002557506001

dobboy

Slo, mines is an 88 Ph1.5

I did see a relay near my ECU but looking at haynes, i can't see any reason for 32A to go out to engine loom if the tacky wasn't out there.

Maybe the relay i saw was for my imobiliser?

Anthony

On an '88 Phase 1.5 the tachymetric relay should be under the dash next to the ECU - if you look, you can see the plug for it in Mei's photo and it'll be a tall-ish black relay

It's only Phase 1's where the relay is under the bonnet AFAIK.

welshpug

Yes, that silver 205 had the relay with the ecu, i've never took notice of how the wiring was laid out on my mates two phase 1 rally cars, all i remember is both had relays on the chassis leg in front of the battery tray, both D reg cars iirc.