• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

nickaliath

Gti-6 Engine Loom Wiring Guide / Help Information

dobboy

I'll have another look Anthony. Yeah I see the plug in the photo and wondered if that's what it was.

Getting that little bit of loom out might take a bit of huffin and puffin, and head scratching.

dobboy

Can somebody please tell me how to get the type of loom in the pics, over the steering and out down to the floor?

Do you drop the steering stuff?

I tried taking the dash/clocks out, but still no access. My tacky relay was next to ECU.

Would it be safe to just crop and cap wires at floor and at plug?

TIA

Slo

If you mean the what i call phase 1 wiring (1 multi plug by the clutch pedal and tacky relay under bonnet) in a phase 1.5 then what I did when i removed mine was to undo both the dash securing nuts in the scuttle panel and the securing nuts on both sides underneath the dash in the car. If you've unplugged everything feed the loom as far as it will pull through then just get your back into it and push the dash up as hard as you can without breaking anything. It will go through but its very difficult

Edited by Slo

dobboy

Thanks Slo.

Can you remember if you had the clocks/top of dash on or off when you lifted dash up?

When I seen the clocks etc removed didn't help I put it all back together.

I don't fancy doing what your saying tbh.

(I'll have another check at wiring diag to see if it looks possible to simply crop at both sides of steering column. I could always do as you say later on.)

I'm past the point of no return now, it will be completed or off to the scrappy!

dobboy

Would anyone hazard a guess as to what the wires (both sides of the plugs on WP's pics) that go into the green heatshrink are?

I'm guessing they are the main feed into the car/dash from the battery??

Slo

Are welshpugs pics of a conversion? I think they originally went to the ecu and rev counter or coil

welshpug

Yup, they are the shielded wires from coil to tachy relay and ecu.

dobboy

Thanks both, think I know what I'm doing now.

Cheinikas

Hi everyone. I've almost done my 205 vts conversion, but have one problem with tacho. I'm missing one wire from original 205 loom that connects to tacho.

There is blue 4pin connector.

1 pin - 32b (ignition 12V)

2 pin - m32b (earth)

3 pin - 112 (tacho feed)

4 pin - missing (anybody know where should it be connected?)

I have modified original tacho, but it still doeasnt work I think because that missing wire

• Like 1

welshpug

There is always a missing pin, not seen one with 4 wires, nor have i managed to modify the rev counter sucessfully so i always make adapers for them.

Cheinikas

There is always a missing pin, not seen one with 4 wires, nor have i managed to modify the rev counter sucessfully so i always make adapers for them.

I've seen with 4 pins. The 4th pin number 1220, but didn't have ability to check where it goes. So You say the only one way is to use adapter?

Anybody has diagram how to make it myself? Because in our country nobody sell it. Thanks

randomspeedfreak

Slo, mines is an 88 Ph1.5

I did see a relay near my ECU but looking at haynes, i can't see any reason for 32A to go out to engine loom if the tacky wasn't out there.

Maybe the relay i saw was for my imobiliser?

Hi mate,

could you post your findings on ph1.5 on here please? ill do the same if youre not there yet - no wiring diagrams seem to help at the moment!

Cheers,

Matt

dobboy

Hi mate,

could you post your findings on ph1.5 on here please? ill do the same if youre not there yet - no wiring diagrams seem to help at the moment!

Cheers,

Matt

Matt, i've removed my little bit of loom, ECU, Tacho,Brown plug. (well i havent really, i pulled all the engine stuff into the car and coiled it up and tied it up under dash at old ECU position, and fitted a 50mm grommet to blank the hole on the bulkhead. It all seems related to the injection/ECU side of things on mine.

This is my plan....

I intend to run 3 new (2.5mm Cu. tri rated)wires from the car side brown plug to the 16V round plug. (16V No's in brackets below)

From 32A to (CC1 and 123)

From 76 to (120)

From 46A to (100)

The remaining screened/shielded wire will be chopped and taped up at plug and at coil.

I'll run another two 1.5mm's to allow me to fit an ODB socket in driverside under dash pocket later (140&121).

I'll run another one to (480), for engine fault light function, i'll deal with this later too.

The existing orange wire on the neg side of coil-112- will connect directly to the supply from the rev counter adaptor which i'm gonna fit under the plastic cover at the cams.

The thick shielded wire at the brown plug (car side) goes out to the coil, it will be chopped/capped. There is also another two wires out at the ignition unit? plus earth, to be chopped, i'll earth the earth wire.

I numbered all my wiring that comes through the NS which is generally all the dash stuff, before removing the 8V. So i'm just using the original guide on here for connections, with the exception that, and depends what Ph of 16V you have as sensors varied:

I'm using my oil switch and sender from the 8V (both 1-wire)on the Oil adapter kit, which i intend to split my 16V two-wire plug, and allocate a wire and relevant number to.

And also, remove the upper two sensors (two-wire)on the 16V T-stat housing, fit the 8V coolant switch and sender (1-wire)in they positions, and allocate a wire/relevant number to.

I'll bell out from all the 8V sensors again to round plug before final connection and I'm hoping that keeps my dash all working the way it was.

I'll let you know if it works!

p.s. i've done a wee bit of a wiring diagram if it's any use to you?.... usual disclaimer and all that jazz!

Anthony

It's actually quite easy to convert the tacho.

I basically do the same as is described in this thread and it works perfectly on a 205 GTi-6 using the ECU's tacho output.

welshpug

Hi mate,

Cheers,

Matt

given how much they vary, you should just look at the wire numbers and crack on, just going blindly from a different car's pinout is foolish at best.

Stu

I basically do the same as is described in this thread and it works perfectly on a 205 GTi-6 using the ECU's tacho output.

Me too, i actually modded mine this way for when i ran Megajolt, and it works fine now with the '6 management too :)

welshpug

as you can see from that thread, not something that I have been at all successful with, there's nothing wrong at all with a tacho signal converter as used by Haltech, run one for 20k+ miles personally without issue, and there's a handful of my converters on other cars about the uk.

dobboy

When I disconnected my ph1.5 wiring I labelled and numberered everything etc.

I ran three new wires from brown plug out along side the Ph1.5 wiring through bonnet cable grommet, 46, 76, and 32.

I'm in the middle of joining the NS wiring to the 16v loom, but I seem to have 2 number 46's.

(A new 46 that I ran in from brown plug, and the old 46 that went to the starter.)

I'm gonna connect the old one that went to starter to wire 100 of 16v loom, and scrap my new 46 from brown plug.

Can someone tell me if I'm right/wrong please?

dobboy

I used the original 46 /starter/solenoid wire (thick blue), scrapped the new one from brown plug, and it starts no problem.

Robbiedundy

Hey, very useful info for the conversion cheers for taking the time to put this up. Currently taking all the stuff I need off my 306 for the conversion, what all wiring do I need? I've disconnected the engine loom from the round multiplug in the engine bay. Not sure what I need apart from that?

Cheers :)

blandy

Kind of related but does anyone know where the wiring for the gearbox sensor plug end up. I'm looking to sort out getting my Rev counter to work at the weekend using the convertor look method but my loom was previously butcherd. I have the gearbox elec/mechanical speedo drive with a plug and 3 wires but it was chopped from the loom so need to reinstate that before trying to add the converter mod

blandy

That's great thank you. I could find the wire that went to the clocks but obviously would t get anywhere without the sensor to Ecu wiring

S@m

The speedo drive has nothing to do with the rev counter. The feed for the rev counter and the converter connect to the ign coils.

blandy

so why do you need to fit the mechanical/electric drive when doing a conversion? Either way i gotta reconnect the wires to get it all working correctly i guess