• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

arwel

[rally_prep] Road Rally 205 Gti

arwel

Spent all of today pulling the box out. First time I have done it on my own so I am pleased with my days work after following the guide on here. ;)

I knew it wasn't going to be pretty when I found this on the sump guard

brokenbox.jpg

After a fair few hours work and some swearing and getting covered in gearbox oil, this is what was left of our gearbox. It looks like the diff has gone bang and gone through casing.

photo1brokenbox2.jpg

and this is what came out of it

brokenbox1.jpg

On top of that it looks like there has been some damage been done to the clutch plate and the face of the flywheel. Need to check the teeth on the flywheel and have a proper look at the clutch to see if any damage has been caused

welshpug

bummer, would have thought a proper diff would have been one of the first bits fitted! :(

arwel

bummer, would have thought a proper diff would have been one of the first bits fitted! :(

Plan was to just get it upto Stage spec and enjoy first and then develope the car. That box was always coming out after Talbenny anyway.. just a shame it didnt make it to the end. :blush:

arwel

No major updates yet. Clutch plate is off and is dead along with all 6 bolts that hold it on. Flywheel looks to be ok and Clutch is totally fine. Still on the hunt for a 4.4 or 4.8 cwp to fit in the new box. Plan was to get it back up and running so i could give it a shakedown on our clubs autotest on the 13th of May but more time goes on the less likley its looking. :(

arwel

Well, autotest is tomorrow and poor Pugsley is still sitting on axel stands without a box so no go for the autotest. With a bit of luck it ll be back together next week and out on the road for some test milage.

harryskid

Thats the only problem with rallying, theres always some thing. Sort one and the next one comes along ! :)

• Like 1

arwel

Good news at last. Its all back up and running as of last night. We did have a little mis hap along the way where the hockey stick bolts were "forgotton" about so it allowed the shaft to move and pop out so we lost drive and box oil after 3 miles :blush:

All sorted this morning though, topped box back up with oil and completed a 6 mile test on the Black Mountain behind the house and a tidy pace and no problems were reported. Car feels very good and seems to go a fair bit quicker and smoother.

Few niggles need to be sorted, new linkages wouldnt go a miss and the clutch needs adjusting properly then sort out a new rear valence and it'll be ready to go again. :D

arwel

All the niggly little problems have been ironed out now. Done about 80 miles worth of testing on the Black Mountain ( yes officer, it is my private test track ) and all is well. Next round of the Welsh Tarmac Championship is Sunday the 24th of June and we're seeded car 46. Be interesting getting used to the car with the LSD installed but will hopefully get to grips with it pretty sharpish as I have a 2.0 Darrien T90 seeded behind me... :ph34r:

arwel

Did Caerwent yesterday.. not a good day, second DNF in a row.

Brief summery. Stage 1 was awful, felt like I couldnt drive and nearly rolled the car and then hit the front end breaking a headlight, bumper and bending the wing.

Stage 2 was wet after a shower so we went out on wet tyres which just didnt work for some reason.. car was everywhere with no grip on the fron and im really suprised how we got round.

Stage 3 we went back to some yoko 48's which were amazing. Instantly more grip and just got better as the stage went on. Driving much neater and cleaner and thought our day was going to turn for the better..however it didnt. Came out of a right hander into a fast right which was quite open so decided to hold it flat, rear end just stepped out a little and touched the grass, car then went into a full slide which i tried to hold but in traditional 205 ways it snapped the other way which i then tried to hold before it spun off the road and over a kerb ( again lucky not to roll ) and then came to a stop on the grass. Car then refused to start and just made a horrible noise. Looks like either the starter is not sitting right on the ring gear or the ring gear itself is damaged.

So need to fix the damage and sort out whatever the problem is with the starting. It does now start but makes a horrible noise in the process.. so busy times ahead before Brwady on 8th July.

arwel

A few little pics from Caerwent. No nice phots from Sunday as they are quite strict on who is allowed in.

Ready to go with our tribute to Jaffa

caerwent1.jpg

caerwent2.jpg

Boys fixing the damage after a little off

caewrwent3.jpg

Poor Pugsley stranded on the grass after spinning off the road and refusing to start.

caerwent.jpg

arwel

Its been a bust few days. First thing to sort was the starting issue. Removed the started and replaced it with a working one and problem solved. Made a start then at fixing the bodywork damage. Not finished yet as I have the bumper to reapir and paint and then pop it back on the car and it ll be ready for Brawdy stages on Sunday.

April15thmensclothing002.jpg

April15thmensclothing003.jpg

April15thmensclothing004.jpg

April15thmensclothing005.jpg

rallyjonesy205

looks like you are having good fun in the car.

one thing i found with my mates 205 when he had it and i serviced for him. on single venue events we struggled to get the car to start from half way through the day, it turned out to be that the signal wire for the starter solenoid was getting too hot and breaking down with the heat. the way we fixed it was to run a seperate wire down the passenger side of the engine bay.

glad you are out having fun in the car

arwel

looks like you are having good fun in the car.

one thing i found with my mates 205 when he had it and i serviced for him. on single venue events we struggled to get the car to start from half way through the day, it turned out to be that the signal wire for the starter solenoid was getting too hot and breaking down with the heat. the way we fixed it was to run a seperate wire down the passenger side of the engine bay.

glad you are out having fun in the car

French wiring at its best lol. If its stops or refuses to start its normally down to a dodgy wire or connection somewhere.

Looking forward to tomorrow now seeded at car 32 and its a quick venue so should be fun. :D

arwel

Finished 27th overall and got 3rd in class down Brawdy yesterday. Bit gutted as I lost 2nd in class by 8 seconds as I span on the last stage but never mind. Had a couple of spins through the day and a few comings together with some of the scenery but not too bad.

Need to check a few things out now as there are a couple of problems that have been highlighted so we ll see how we get on with them.

arwel

On board of SS1

harryskid

Looks like a nice stage, bit murkey was it? Was this an army camp?

arwel

Yeah was very foggy on the first run, and yes it is at the Army base. Nice venue, very tough on tyres though.

harryskid

Nice one, might have a look at that one next time.Good luck with the next one

colin141

Looks like a nice stage, bit murkey was it? Was this an army camp?

Think its a disused RAF base, not many Army bases have runways ;)

arwel

SS4. My best stage and with some bad fuel surge on the first loop

arwel

So I was planning on having a quite month or 2 to get the rally car looking good and restock my tyres but it didnt quite go to plan..

Picked this up today after a last minute ebay bid whilst being bored at work :D

251934_3284158183553_1180377374_n.jpg

Its really clean example with a few nice bits on it.. loads of history and runs great. It'll be ideal as a re shell as its solid but at the same time it may well be too good to strip and would make a real nice road car. We'll see :ph34r:

harryskid

What about the engine conversion you were thinking about? :o

arwel

What about the engine conversion you were thinking about? :o

It wouldnt strictly be a conversion. New engine would go into the new build which Pugsley would be re shelled into, which is where the latest purchase may come into play ;)

e8_pack

Think its a disused RAF base, not many Army bases have runways ;)

Loads of army bases have runways, in fact i only ever stayed on army bases with runways - loads round cambridge anyway.good for running around and exercises.

matt.f

We use quite a few in the endurance championship,twyfood wood in the dark was fun!

Edited by matt.f