• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

arwel

[rally_prep] Road Rally 205 Gti

welshpug

only if dan makes it back from Norwich!

arwel

Well its safe to say that it didn't go to plan on Sunday. I should have known it wasn't going to be our day when the car wouldn't start getting it off the trailer. 10 mins later and it started. Leaving MC1 to head towards the ranges we noticed the alternator wasn't charging at low revs. Quick stop in service on route to SS1 and it then refused to restart again. Bump started it and we were away with a fully charging alternator now.

2 miles into stage 1 and the stabilizing rod on the gear lever came off leaving us with only 3rd 4th and 5th gear for the rest of the stage and the 2 following stages. We managed to get back to service languishing 3rd from last in the results. Boys in service sorted the linkage out and we thought we could now plot a campaign to climb back up the table. That campaign lasted all of half a mile before the throttle mechanism on the throttle body broke and left us with no throttle. I did a quick bodged repair to get us going but it only lasted another mile or so before it came off again and we were then caught by the closing car so we retired and called it a day.

This was without doubt my worst day rallying. We'll address the issues and put the car through a serious testing schedule in an attempt to iron out all the flaws that come with a rebuild and then hopefully we will have a stronger car than ever....we shall see.

arwel

Today is a big day for us. We have submitted an entry for this years Network Q Wales Rally GB. It's going to be a busy few months making sure the car is 100% upto the challenge but now we have enough time to give it a thorough going over and lots of testing before WRGB in November.

We are currently seeking some sponsorship just to help us on our way so there will be regular updates soo.

arwel

It's been a busy last few weeks. The throttle body has now been fixed, turned out one bolt had abandoned ship and another was finger tight so that was a nice easy fix. The alternator has now been changed as the original had stopped charging the battery. Next on the list is to secure the stabilising rod that forms part of the gear linkage. Its started popping off its mount on the subframe for some reason so a drill and a split pin will sort that. Then it ll be time to put some mileage on it and see if its finally going to start behaving itself.

welshpug

there should be an R clip on that balljoint anyway.

Tom Fenton

Better solution is to mount a rose joint and weld a L-bracket to the linkage, and nut and bolt it through. Cannot ever pop off then.

arwel

I thought there was a clip or something suppose to be on it as i've never had the problem before. Looks like its been lost at some point during the rebuild. Are they just an universal item that can be had from anywhere? Would save a lot of hassle faffing around with it.

arwel

A few little jobs to finish off tonight and then we'll take it for a little run around on Friday evening. We have been seeded at car 18 for this Sundays Petel Lloyd Rallying stages at Pembrey so we'll be hoping that the niggles have been sorted and we can really put the car through its paces then.

arwel

Another rally done and another disappointment. Had a clean run on SS1 but the car felt down on power and suffered severe fuel starvation on one particular long right hander.

SS2 we stopped due to the fuel pump, we got it going again but took a stage maximum

SS3 we were severely down on power and on SS4 we stopped again before getting it going but decided to retire as it wasn't right.

It looks like we have a problem with the fuel pump or the wiring on top of the pump as it either cut out or doesn't supply enough fuel so we need to get this sorted. Unfortunately we dont have the time to sort it and test it before Wales Rally GB so we've decided to change car and use the Proton we've used on the road rallies.

We will get the Pug sorted and then decide what the future hold for it.

Anthony

That's a shame :(

Wallby

That is a shame!

Did you see the tweet Wales Rally GB made about you?

arwel

It is a shame as I was really looking forward to using the Pug but it's just too much of a risk to put it through 3 days of forestry when it can't complete a single venue rally at the moment. I take responsibility for it as I've just not had the time to put it through its paces properly. Once GB is done though we ll get back to it and get it 100% right.

I did, it is awesome that their promoting the Nationals like they do, gives you a small sense of fame Hahahaha.

TAG

It's a shame, but logical given the longevity of the event. What class will you compete in then? Are there similar classes to the single venue stuff around here? I.e. Road rally class?

As a side note, whats the main reason for people using Satrias on road rallies? I spoke to Calvin about this, and he mentioned them just being so robust and strong

allanallen

Clarke.......I'm not Calvin! :P

I wouldn't say they're strong as such but they take a battering much better than a 205 and the suspension (particularly at the rear) is streets ahead! They handle pretty s*it without work though, turn in is fooking horrendous! As are the awful long gearboxes!

Miss my 205 like mad but I know I'm faster in the proton and I spend a lot less time repairing things.

Edited by allanallen

arwel

There is no road rally class unfortunately so we have to go into B3 which is for engine cc from 1601cc-2000cc. The plan is to complete the whole event so setting fastest times isn't on the agenda for this rally but we still plan on having a damn good go anyway.

I think the main reason people are using them is that they are cheap to buy. They are getting a little harder to find now but they are out there. As Clarke or Calvin :P​ said, they take an absolute hammering. The one we use has taken everything we've thrown at it this year plus it was hired out to another local lad to use on the Ystwyth in Sweet Lamb in July where it finished 7th overall.

Ours has had the whole front end strengthened due to a poor repair following an accident before it came to us so I think this also helps, especially with some of the rough whites we tend to use on road rallies. Ours has some Hockley coilovers on the rear and some Evo 4 front legs and has recently been fitted with EVO4 bottom arms so it handles pretty sweet now. No understeer, no oversteer it just goes when you point it. It has a standard box which is very long but we do have a 4:1 crown wheel and pinion to fit which should help it along a bit better. Its a totally different car to the 205, it weighs a good 300kg more which you can tell but its so stable that it inspires so much confidence.

allanallen

It's Allan!!! :P

I've a 4.6FD in mine, it's still not brilliant :( you're forever on the limiter in second, i'm slowly getting over it but I still have a little cry occasionally when I think of the AB box I had in my 205.

We should perhaps start a Malaysian rot box thread, there's a few of us on here with them :P

Edited by allanallen

arwel

It's Allan!!! :P

I've a 4.6FD in mine, it's still not brilliant :( you're forever on the limiter in second, i'm slowly getting over it but I still have a little cry occasionally when I think of the AB box I had in my 205.

We should perhaps start a Malaysian rot box thread, there's a few of us on here with them :P

One of the boys who has one down here has a 4.9 fitted to his. It came from a Mitsibushi spacestar or spacewagon. We've been trying to find one but had no luck so far. That is the only thing that lets it down is the long gears.

Hahaha definitely, a show us your Satria thread.

allanallen

That'll be a space star 4.6 I believe, I don't know of a standard 4.9 (could be wrong, often am!), there used to be aftermarket 4.85FDs available, the casing requires maching to fit from memory. In fact I think the standard gti box requires machining to get the 4.6 in.

You got an LSD fitted? The last 2 events I did I had a standard box in whilst we rebuilt my short LSD box. Constantly spinning the drivers side wheel, the unequal shaft lengths become very apparent!

arwel

That'll be a space star 4.6 I believe, I don't know of a standard 4.9 (could be wrong, often am!), there used to be aftermarket 4.85FDs available, the casing requires maching to fit from memory. In fact I think the standard gti box requires machining to get the 4.6 in.

You got an LSD fitted? The last 2 events I did I had a standard box in whilst we rebuilt my short LSD box. Constantly spinning the drivers side wheel, the unequal shaft lengths become very apparent!

Ah right, it could be, we 've not managed to find anything with 4:9 either so far so it could well be a 4:6.

Nah, no diff in ours. Just have to play with the throttle until we're upto speed hahaha. In all fairness its not been too bad on the road rallies. The only time we struggled was pulling away from controls in wet, muddy fields so im hoping once we have momentum in the forestry we shall be ok.

TAG

Myself and DCC should be there in some shape or form, so we'll be keeping an eye out. The last event up Epynt we went to, you'd retired before we got there!

arwel

Myself and DCC should be there in some shape or form, so we'll be keeping an eye out. The last event up Epynt we went to, you'd retired before we got there!

Hopefully there will be no repeat of Epynt then :D​

On a positive note, the fuel pump issue has been sorted on the Pug. I have a Walbro black top pump and feed from the top of the pump to the cradle is slightly offset so we had made up a joint. The jubill clip on the joint had eaten into the rubber which caused fuel to lea back into the tank hence the lack of pressure and lack of fuel. It got gradually worse during the day until it held no pressure at all. We've not modified the cradle so a pipe goes straight from the pump to the line so that should solve the problem.

arwel

Well, what an adventure Wales Rally GB was. 3 tough days but an amazing experience. Had an eventful first day with SS1 being cancelled then a short blast through Sweet Lamb before a 18 miler in Myherin which we got 14 miles into before losing a wheel. Quality asian metal had cracked and the whole hub assembly came away from the rear arm. A quick trip home to repair it and we were back in Deeside by 1:30am on Saturday to restart at 8am.

Saturday we started the day in 77th overall and 19th in class but the day went without any problem and saw us climb the table.

Sunday was a day of survival with a run through Alwen and then around the Great Orme before a last run through Brenig which was rough as anything. We did lose our back box in there but got to the end of the rally and finished 33rd overall and 7th in class.

I'll get some pics up soon.

• Like 1

dcc

We love you arwel!!!

allanallen

Good effort Arwel!