• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

arwel

[rally_prep] Road Rally 205 Gti

arwel

It is quite alarming isnt it, fire is never good in any situation.

It is all back up and running again now. Unfortunately we will still be on a standard gearbox as a small issue was found with mine that needs further work but at least we shall be there. Only problem now is that we have not finished an event in Caerwent since early 2012 so once again we will try and break the curse, although I will be happy to go further than the 50 yds we went last time :lol:

arwel

Normal service was resumed on Sunday. We finished 26th O/A and 2nd in class. We did have an issue with low battery voltage as it ran out of juice on Saturday going into scruteneering and on the way to SS1 on Sunday. SS2 the rear half of the exhaust dropped and got dragged around behind the car for about 7 miles. This was bodged back together in service though and we continued with our day. Full enjoyment, brilliant fun and good competition. Also it was the first time in 2 and half years that I managed to finish an event in Caerwent.

Peter Lloyd Rallying stages in Pembrey on the 12th of October so that gives us 2 weeks to sort a few little niggles that i've noticed and hopefully get the close ratio box back in.

arwel

Competed on the Peter Lloyd Rallying Stages at Pembrey yesterday. Despite very slippy conditions and a standard box with no slip we struggled a fair bit in places and just couldn't get any power down at all. Despite this we finished 17th overall and 4th in class and picked up the best mixed crew award.

That brings an end to our Welsh Tarmac championship campaign and Abigail took the class 7 co-drivers title and i finished runner up. The two DNF results on the two summer Epynt rallies basically dropped me from a comfortable position to needing a miracle to win. I guess thats motorsport for you. Next years plans are to be decided but I won't be doing any championship as I feel like some of the enjoyment was lost in the second half of this year but we shall see.

Next up is the Powys Lanes road rally which will see my girlfriend Helen sitting alongside me. She has many years experience in the silly seat on the maps as she comes from a rallying family.

Some in car footage will be up very soon.

Plumbob

Please keep it up next year! I enjoy reading your thread! :-)

Good luck with the road rally!

arwel

Sorry for the delay people. Here are SS1 and SS3 from the recent Peter Lloyd Rallying stages at Pembrey

arwel

After Pembrey it was impossible for me to catch my rival for the class championship. So after a long season I decided it was time to have some fun agian. Me and the misses have entered the Powys Lanes road rally on the 8/9th of November. Helen has competed on a regular basis mainly alongside her father. I have not competed on a road rally in 3 years and have not used the car in its current spec on a road rally so it could be a very interesting night.

Lots of work going on at the moment but he currently looks like this. Hoping to have it back together by Sunday evening.

AA0E8934-AF72-409A-8A30-123429B06F79_zps

arwel

We did the Powys Lanes last saturday night. It didnt go to plan really. The map reading potti failed before we left the start venue but despite this Helen did a superb job guiding us around. The pace was very very good and from the times we were setting in the sections we would have been on course for a top 5 which would have been fantastic. Unfortunately we lost the exhaust not far from the petrol hault so we retired as we would not have been allowed to carry on due to being too loud.

Many positives to take from the event. The main one was that we worked amazingly well together and secondly the speed is very much there. The car is absoultely perfect for the Welsh lanes so a season doing the Welsh Road Rally Championship could be on the cards for 2015.

powyslanes14_zps38685e7d.jpg

• Like 2

tdr_1976

There's no place like the lanes mate! Amdani!!

• Like 1

arwel

Never a truer sentence spoken hahaha

We are currently 2nd reserve in class for this weekends Chris Hellier Memorial rally so we're hoping to have a run on that and get some more experience in the car down the lanes.

• Like 1

arwel

We have now had a run on this weekends Chris Hellier memorial rally. Looks like we have been slotted in at car 12. Looking forward to it now.

• Like 1

arwel

Chris Hellier rally went well I guess. We ended up finishing 8th overall. We should have been 3rd but incurred a 10minute penalty for apparently missing a code board which we dont believe was there in the first place but despite an appeal we didnt get it withdrawn so the penalty stood. Still not a bad result for only my 2nd event down the lanes in 3 years and only the second event for me and Helen to be alongside eachother.

We lost the exhaust again. I realised that it drops down first and then eventually catches on something and gets ripped off so we need to strengthen that part of the car. Other than that everything works very well and the car is clearly very very competative.

Next up is a return to the daylight for the Jaffa Stages in Pembrey on the 28/12/2014 which will be Helens' stage rally debut and is going to be a very enjoyable day. It's the last event of the year with nothing to lose so I will be allowed off the leash for a full on maximum attack and just have as much fun as possible.

• Like 1

arwel

We've been seeded car 35 for this weekends Jaffa Stages at Pembrey. There are 21 in our class which is massive and we will be aiming to be fighting for the class win and as close to the top 10 overall as possible. The day will mainly be to enjoy the last rally of the year and get Helen som experience in the car with me ahead of next year but of course we want to be competative from the start.

Merry Christmas everyone and have a Happy New Year.

dcc

Ill actually come say hi this year, so long as your not shouting at your car haha

arwel

Ill actually come say hi this year, so long as your not shouting at your car haha

Ha ha ha of course Dan, hopefully there will be no repeat of previous actions. We've re wired a few things and improved a few other things so fingers crossed it ll behave itself.

dcc

Do I need to bring a spare gearbox for you?

arwel

Do I need to bring a spare gearbox for you?

Hahah you shouldn't need to. Although Ive never finished the Christmas/jaffa stages. Bring a rope hahaha

arwel

Not a good day on Sunday. Very slippery conditions due to ice but it suited us down to the ground and set a pace that was well within the top 10. Unfortunately problems developed in SS1 which led to a broken gear rod. This was mended in service and out we went for SS2. What we hadn't spotted was the broken rear engine mount. The engine was allowed to swing back and forth and it eventually split one of the pipes going to the oil cooler which caused the engine to lose all its oil. Im hoping I managed to turn it off before it became properly terminal but it'll have to come out to be inspected and see how much damage has happened. The one good thing is that it hasn't seized so there is hope for a swift rebuild and away we go.

arwel

Not updated here in a while as Ive been busy. Engine was removed and stripped, con rod bearings were knackered, crank was sent to be checked and it turned out it was bent 10mm so that is beyond saving.

On Sunday we went on a road trip and collected another engine which is due to be checked. I've also been to see another engine tonight which is a runner and sounds healthy so negotiations have began.

First rally is 7/8th of Feb so we don't have too much time to get things sorted.

Anthony

Unfortunate news on the dead engine :(

Hopefully the replacement(s) will prove serviceable and needing just a basic, quick rebuild so that you'll be up and running for the next event in February. Certainly wise checking them though, as the average "healthy" running Mi is typically very tired these days...

arwel

Unfortunate news on the dead engine :(

Hopefully the replacement(s) will prove serviceable and needing just a basic, quick rebuild so that you'll be up and running for the next event in February. Certainly wise checking them though, as the average "healthy" running Mi is typically very tired these days...

Fingers crossed anyway Anthony. They will both be checked and given the fresh up if required. Hopefully shall be making a start on the 1st engine tonight.

Mac Crash

Always interesting and followed thread, keep the faith, min, and best wishes for 2015...

• Like 1

arwel

Engine number one was checked today. Not too bad really but will need a set of bearings. So will get onto that this week and maybe engine number 2 will be ready for collection by the end of the week.

arwel

Engine number 2 is now in and running. Few little jobs to finish off this week but all being well there will be some testing on thursday and Friday ahead of the opening round of the WAMC Road Rally Championship this weekend.

TAG

Good news! So what road rally is it this weekend? I went to the 1000 lanes and the Cilwendig last year....awesome! 1000 lanes was bloody foggy!