• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mickie

[trackday_prep] 1.6 To 1.9 8v Full Car Rebuild/resto Track Car

mickie

307 283mm discs

R33 GTS calipers

6mm spacers

braket mounts made up using around 4mm washers on the back bolting up the calipers

406 MC

all that and it still isnt a stright fit, its all maybe a little bit too much just for a bigger upgrade but works out cheaper then brembos..

maybe a little overkill but to me its one of the best upgrades ive done, the brakes feel very good, not on/off like some have said

Tom Fenton

Regards your slipping clutch, is it a new clutch fitted to a used flywheel that was not resurfaced? If so I recently did the same thing to find the clutch slipped on my turbo on full boost. 300 or so miles later the bite point was getting lower and lower indicating that the clutch was bedding in to the flywheel. A tweak of the adjustment on the cable and I now have a clutch that does not slip, even with 205 ftlb.

Cameron

Really nice project mate, I like the no nonsense attitude too - so I did this, it worked, here's a pic, did this next. :)

Pics etc don't do the effort you've put in justice, I guess that's why there aren't as many replies as there should be.

What's your fuse box from? Looks nice and tidy.

mickie

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-...es/holders1.php << fuse box <<

not enough interesting pictures and not enough of a write up, doesnt leave much for people to say i guess haha

the clutch feels like its not slipping as much now, fixed the blowing exhaust but not sure i like all the noise coming from the engine rather than the exhaust.. maybe too much induction noise for me.

ive rebuilt the rear beam but the offside wheel feels loose, the whole arm is moving, which i can only put down to the bearings being worn out or the shaft ?

cheers for comments <_<

welshpug

I'd rather it be induction not exhaust tbh :)

a "rebuilt" beam should not have any play at all, so something that needed replacing has not been.

Edited by welshpug

mickie

yeah you're right, ive rebuilt it with some new and old parts, obviously something isnt quite right but it gives me something to work on, i miss working on it lol.

the amount it moves is very slight, hardly worth thinking about but not good enough for race use.

mickie

heres a update on the latest news

me, mark and liam drove down to ryhope pumping station.

IMG00022-20101031-1126.jpg

good day out but my car was backfiring through the carb on 1 cylinder really badly.

on closer inspection i noticed the ITG sock

76400_448406296285_644376285_5956746_1672758_n.jpg

so thought it obviously got pulled through the engine, pulled the carbs off, nothing there, so ended up pulling the head off..

then noticed this.

IMG00036-20101101-1519.jpg

IMG00037-20101101-1519.jpg

one fully opened exhaust valve

IMG00033-20101101-1421.jpg

compaired to a working valve

IMG00034-20101101-1421.jpg

IMG00032-20101101-1400-1.jpg

i thought it must have been a part of the sock keeping the valve open causing the camshaft to wear against the lifter but after buying a cylinderhead off al and fitting his cam into mine, it wouldnt turn, pulled the cam back out, fitted the camshaft caps and you could feel a crove against the camshaft cap and cylinderhead

so the caps must have been mixed up with a different head i had 4 yr back, luckly i ramdomly kept the caps and other bits and binned the spair cylinderhead.

i stuck the caps on the head and you could feel the difference straight away, much more free so that explains why it was hard to turn over, why it wouldnt go above 80 and that becuase it was so tight oil wasnt getting to that lobe and lifter and thats why it probably wore out, not because the ITG filter got sucked into the engine

so i bought a pipercross sausage filter, modified the throttle linkages, got rid of the lip between the cylinderhead and the inlet manifold, the tuner spend 30 minutes tightening the carbs up the idiot so i fixed all that, pulled the springs back out, started monday, finished today, sunday.

the result is a much more free engine, very rev happy, wheel spin 1st 2nd 3rd easly, sounds better, idles at 500rpm were it wouldnt before and turns over as long as you want were as i was having trouble there too..

chuffed now.

IMG00041-20101103-2107.jpg

IMG00047-20101107-1312.jpg

Tom Fenton

Glad you have sorted it, however the cam being tight would not stop oil getting to the lobe and bucket, as the spray bar should take care of this.

I would double check your spray bar is not blocked, easy enough to do as you'll only need to pop the cam cover off and then it will pull out of the caps. I always dismantle mine and push a pipe cleaner through, it is suprising how much crap can be in there.

mickie
Glad you have sorted it, however the cam being tight would not stop oil getting to the lobe and bucket, as the spray bar should take care of this.

I would double check your spray bar is not blocked, easy enough to do as you'll only need to pop the cam cover off and then it will pull out of the caps. I always dismantle mine and push a pipe cleaner through, it is suprising how much crap can be in there.

covered that problem :) cleaned the caps and that bar, got the knitting needle out for the pin holes. some of those pin holes were blocked..

jonny6

thread resurrection time ....... Fairly new to this forum , been on here a few months , however , about 5 months ago i sold my m3 and decided to buy somthing small and nimble to track day etc , Had a few things in mind , 106 gti , 309 gti , renalt clio wiliams or phase-1 172 and of the legendary 205.... after a few days of scouring the usuall sites , ebay , autotrader , This little 205 popped up on pistonheads . Immediately i caught my eye , exactly what i was looking for .. so after talking to the owner and builder Mike i decided to set off on the 15 hour round trip "up norf " ..

After a bit of a chat , a testdrive we agreed on a price and i bought it !!! ha ha stoked !

loading her up for the journey home ..... much to Mikes dis-pleasure

29477310150269723491286.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

30544310150269723821286.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

qwerty

Well its not often 205drivers members are from this neck of the wood, I live in the street just round from you Mike :lol:

I've had a good look at your 205 when passing and its rather tasty, sad to hear its gone tho :(

mickie

are you the lad who lives just around the corner with a sign up saying, 205gti parking only or something? always makes me smile seeing that lol

yeah i was sad to see it go.. thinking about it the next day too much and managed to fill the van up with petrol.. cost me 300 quid to have it removed..

its gone too a good home, jonny is looking after it :)

i bought my self a nice golf gt family car but i can see my self building another in the future, learnt a lot building this one up, would have been nice to have made it perfect, got the engine set up properly, then would have probably found the faults jonny has found..

313599_10150310245171286_644376285_8430649_52236047_n.jpg

how jonnys got the car looking now...

377878_10150473895781286_644376285_9133735_28308063_n.jpg

hope you dont mind me posting up how you've got the car looking now.. but im happy its down south really where all the action is and that its getting used on track.. happy its not gone to some charv scum local to me..

rallyeash

looks a lovely car and nice build thread too :)