• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pablo

My 205 Has Shat Itself

pablo

Well 4 days after taxing it and putting it up for sale my 205 crapped itself.

Oil all over the front of the block, and round the turbo too. Was just the front last night so thought it was coming out the dipstick hole in the block. Stripped and cleaned, put some sealant round the dipstick tube etc but done the same again today.

Not sure where to start tbh. Not even sure what the cause was. I had fitted a different dump valve (oem impreza one) which I think was duff so was leaking boost allowing the turbo to overboost like crazy.

Looking for a can of petrol and some matches as we speak :rolleyes:

pip470

You need to do a compression test.

Tom Fenton

Clean it off and work out where the oil is coming from would be a good start. Just a split breather pipe can put loads of oil all over the place in no time.

pablo

yeah thats the plan. Will know some more later

Paulmac19

ah mate nightmare you had that running well

hope it something simple

pablo

took the head off for a look see. Nothing too sinister. Think it might be a f**ked breather after all!!!

How does this look?

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

All Praise The GTI

dont want to sound condensending? but was the dipstick seated properly? if missing an o ring they can pop out and oil can spurt about :lol:

pablo

there was no o-ring but I sealed it in place with a dose of oil resistant sealant.

All Praise The GTI

i mean the actual stick that pulls out?

pablo

ah ok, no it was fine, no oil up there at all.

DrSarty

Why did you take the head off, and go to all that hassle (possibly new headbolts, gasket and cambelt) when starting with the oil pipes not only made more sense but would've been cheaper and quicker? :lol:

I'm not sure how taking the head off would've highlighted an oil leak anyway TBH.

That is unless you were planning to do it anyway?

bales
Well 4 days after taxing it and putting it up for sale my 205 crapped itself.

Am I right in thinking you have just bought it pretty recently? Why you selling it so soon if you don't mind me asking?

pablo

After looking closer I cant see anything wrong with the breather pipes bar being a little gummed up. So there is a problem somewhere else, as most of the engine oil was bucked out the main breather from the filler bottle. Taking the head off isnt rocket science (took me an hour) and allows me to see had the HG went. What kind of shape the pistons etc are in, any blocked oilways etc.

The breathers were full of milky looking oil which is also worrying me. Which was leaning me towards a duff HG too.

Any tests I can do with the pistons to see if they are leaking past the rings? If I poured some oil around the edges would it seep away after a few hours or would it need compression to be pushed past?

Ive lost all heart in the car to be honest. Been constant work at it since I bought it and I just cant be bothered any more.

Something has definately changed over the last few days as I ran a makeshift catchtank from the main breather and there was nothing deposited bar vapour, even after a few runs on a rolling road.

I *think* the problem started when I changed dump valve. Had a fairly loud dump to air one so I got an oem impreza recirculating one. This seems to be duff as it was leaking boost on acceleration meaning the turbo overboosted (the actuator feed is AFTER the dump valve). My hunch was the turbo overboosted, and blew the HG. Hence the head off for a looksee.

Edited by pablo

bales
I *think* the problem started when I changed dump valve. Had a fairly loud dump to air one so I got an oem impreza recirculating one. This seems to be duff as it was leaking boost on acceleration meaning the turbo overboosted (the actuator feed is AFTER the dump valve). My hunch was the turbo overboosted, and blew the HG. Hence the head off for a looksee.

Do you not have a boost gauge?

Also if you were overboosting considerably you would have a fuel cut if it peaked at more than 1.2 bar for any period of time.

Did you check to see if you had any white smoke out of the exhaust or any air going into the header tank?

If you have a blown headgasket it is usually ok to still run the engine on idle for a bit and it would have given you some pointers to what was the problem.

pablo

boost gauge is built into the boost controller which is plumbed AFTER the dump valve, likewise the ECU map sensor feed. So if the turbo was boosting at 1.5 bar the ecu and boost controller might have been seeing 1 bar.

just a hunch no idea what the story is.

bales
boost gauge is built into the boost controller which is plumbed AFTER the dump valve, likewise the ECU map sensor feed. So if the turbo was boosting at 1.5 bar the ecu and boost controller might have been seeing 1 bar.

As would the engine....so it wouldnt be overboosting and therefore wouldn't fuel cut.

The only overboost is the turbo itself and the main downside of that is hot air.

Don't think that the dump valve sounds like the cause to me.

Though now you have taken the head off you will ideally need a new headgasket now anyway...

pablo

yes new HG going in. Still think it was worth doing just to see what was going on in there.

True about the boost to the engine btw, not sure what state the turbo is in. Was smoking (again) prior to oil evacuation so thats another thing waiting for me once I get this issue sorted. You can see why im pissed.

dcc

could you have a blocked oil gallery?

I remember stripping an 8v and finding silicone wedged in the oilway.

for oil to be everywhere, you are going to have a fairly obvious cause. clean down the block and spend a good few hours looking where it could be leaking from. took me 2 days to realise I had forgotton an oil seal on my gearbox - only noticing after replacing the sump seal, breather pipes, fitting a catch tank and a few hours of thinking "where did that patch come from now!"

Is it possible your filler hose has a split in it somewhere?

pablo

Im open to suggestions for things to check while the head is off.

Can pop the sump off handy enough too.

miamichris
Ive lost all heart in the car to be honest. Been constant work at it since I bought it and I just cant be bothered any more.

Welcome to 205 ownership :lol:;)

Ryan_B

I hate saying this Pablo but you asked for opinions on Really mean sounds regarding choice i told you to stay clear... Im gutted for you as it does look like such a nice example. A 1.9 Gti with a little work and a good box is as far as i'll go now. Ive had many a sickner in my 9yr ownership of many a model...

What are your plans buddy?

pablo

go on say it, "I told you so :)"

I wouldnt have been happy with a std gti engine is the honest truth.

Had a mate from AI have a look at the block/head etc and he reckons they still look good so head going back on later and some new breather pipes and we will see what we can see.

maturin23

Did you do a compression test before you took the head off as suggested in post #2?

Surely blow-by can be a major issue with forced induction engines and could cause serious crankcase over pressurisation - I'm no technical wizard but that would have been my thought.

pablo

As said previously no I didnt. Will do one once I put the head back on. Was convinced it was terminal so pulled it off to have a look.

DrSarty
Was convinced it was terminal so pulled it off to have a look.

It's quite common on here and I bet other places for people to think the worst and go for relatively drastic measures (and cost) when a few simple steps or checks before hand would save a great deal of hassle.

Capt Pugwash recently went through all sorts of heartache and stress, doing continuity and voltage checks, sourcing and swapping ECUs when it was just a £15 coil.

Sign in to follow this