• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

wardy18

[race_prep] Guernsey Hillclimb 205 Build

Anthony

The speed you appear to be carrying through the corners compared to the other cars presumably in your class (the 205 and 306 immediately preceeding you in the videos) is impressive, and the results speak for themselves if you're only getting beaten by the single seaters - well done that man! :D

• Like 1

wardy18

Thanks, yeh I think I have cracked the handling issues I had, still gettin tyre roll but think that's expected as the grip is there!!

It's going to be a year of breaking records!!

Well happy with its performance and feedback I get from spectators and equally from other competitors who can't quite believe what the little pug is doing!!

wardy18

Another angle, im at 40s into it

Cameron

Woooooooooooooo that Golf got it a bit wrong! :lol:

Definitely looks to be carrying a lot more speed than similar cars. :D

wardy18

woowoo Samsonas DogBox on its way back to me today!!!!

Will be fitted by the end of the weekend ready for my next event next Saturday 13th

post-11100-0-40545900-1372683341_thumb.jpg

wardy18

What would you say a reasonable price for a Helix Ally flywheel (3.5kg) with a paddle clutch plate in std housing and also a 4.4 CWP

All in excellent condition with no chips to any teeth and only done about 200 miles on the car??

Have a local guy interested in them but dont know what to ask???

wardy18

So the Dogbox has arrived....................... and my wallet started quivering when i realised that the input shaft had been beafed up considerably.....THANKS FOR TELLING ME!!!!!

This means 2 new 7 1/4" clutch plates (no problem) and a new Release Bearing (BIG Problem)

AP Racing supply a release bearing just for the BE3 box which is what i have been running but this is to suit the standard diameter input shaft, i now need the same design but with a larger input shaft diameter (26.4mm).

I have got onto Clark Motorsport and they are sorting it out for me but its goingt o mean i miss my 1/4 sprint event this saturday!!!

Also Samsonas has fitted a lift reverse cable to my BE3 box but its at the opposite end of the selector shaft as to where the BE1 is fitted, this is VERY close to my oil tank and i am yet unsure if it will clear.....

Never simple

alexcrosse

Pictures of reverse cable & gearbox?

Also Bruce at Competition Supplies is brilliant when it comes to sorting out release bearings and clutch parts. And they are VERY quick. Top company.

wardy18

Ill get some pics tonight and post up tomorrow, looks pretty standard from the outside (i would love to see the inside)

Colin Satchell has come to my rescue and already has the drawings to make a new carrier to my input shaft sleeve OD so i have sent my release bearing to him today to pull apart and fit to the new carrier!!

This all means i miss the 1/4 mile sprint this saturday but i want it ready for when the British Championship come over for the National Hillclimb next weekend as i have a record to break....

alexcrosse

Yeah I'm just interested to see how they have done the reverse cable as that is an issue of mine at the moment. I have had to do a plate at the gearbox end.

Chap I bought my gearbox off had told me if you run a plated diff and close ratio box without a breather and drive it HARD you will blow your drive shaft seals out. Which is why all of the GpA 205's had a breather replacing the BE1 reverse cable and then a lock off plate at the gearbox end.

wardy18

No worries, here's some pics, i can see sown the hole that they have made a notch in the selector shaft thus not allowing engagement of reverse unless the bar if lifted.

post-11100-0-70488200-1373528313_thumb.jpg

post-11100-0-55228300-1373528323_thumb.jpg

post-11100-0-31078400-1373528330_thumb.jpg

alexcrosse

that's trick, I like it. I think I will put an extra breather in my gearbox and then use the original reverse. When I have time to build it into a production casing.

Look forward to seeing some in car, I'm sure it'll put a smile on your face when it clunks into first! Remember to keep your foot off that clutch ;)

Batfink

I'd be using the clutch on downshifts to extend the life of the lugs

• Like 1

welshpug

that looks exactly where the gti6 reverse stop is from memory.

wardy18

Well yes i have been asking how best to drive this box and have been told to use the clutch at all times if i want to prolong the life of the box and reduce wear but before being told that i was under the assumption that full chat driving was no clutch, general driving was clutch but was unsure of downshifts, so all downshifts are clutch??

alexcrosse

Clutch on down shifts - not too much time to be saved there really under the circumstances. And knackering the dogs on the decel side as batfink says would be a shame... popping out of gear on engine braking would be pretty inconvenient!

No clutch on up shifts in competition... or what's the point in having a dog box when syncro was strong enough?

remember... be positive ;)

Edited by alexcrosse

Cameron

HIV positive? :D

The idea is to change as quickly as possible on up-shifts, right? From reading up on sequential shifts you just need to load the lever prior to the change and then come off the throttle to unload the dogs, it slips out of gear and you slam it as quickly as possible into the next gear and get back on the throttle. Slamming through gears sounds counter-intuitive if you want to prolong the dog life, but every bit of info I read says the quicker it's done the better and the longer they last. I assume the only difference between sequential dog boxes and H-pattern is that you need to be accurate with your arm movements! :lol:

alexcrosse

As long as the centring spring on the selectors is strong enough you don't need to be more accurate with arm movements, just dont load it sideways at all when going 2nd to 3rd.

And yeah as cam said load the gear stick, unload the dogs, back on throttle.

Its going to wear out, its what they do, that's why they're not in normal productions cars.

• Like 1

wardy18

Thanks for the tips....hopefully ill get to practice a bit before the event but i cant see that happening if the clutch has anything to do with it as tech Craft have managed to persuade Helix to make me 2 plates today and send to them so should be with me Tuesday due to cross channel delays!!

With regards to accuracy i hope the box is a little less susceptible to go from 2nd to 5th instead of 3rd which i have done on a number of times trying to change so quickly, must remember not to hold the gear stick and physically move it across the gate but rather push it out of gear letting it naturally center and slot up into 3rd......

alexcrosse

Yep, let it centre to 3rd. And trust me 2nd to 5th is the best possible outcome of a missed shift in that direction.

Remember - with a dog box it WILL go straight into first again, not what you want when its at 8k in 2nd.

wardy18

Yeh i imagine that will do some damage and cost me a rebuild.....

Not looking forward to the hassle of having to raise up my oil tank my 30mm because of the new lift reverse cable location........lucky i now have the auto bonnet (GRP obviously) so i have a little more room but one thing leads to another and now means i need a new strut brace as my previous one went over the top of the oil tank with a mm to spare so now i need to fabricate a new strut brace which goes in front of the oil tank!!

I found the perfect solution to this the other evening after looking at it for quite some time, i just happened to look up (whilst having a little moment) and saw that i have 2 spare door bars for my roll cage which just happen to be the ideal length to go across my strut tops so i will be making some brackets up to weld to the strut tops (which are already plated) and bolting one of the door bars in place as is, COST = ZERO (just the way i like it) and more effective than my last flimsy ally strut brace so will give me a stiffer front end yet, ingenious!!!

Its annoying because i keep thinking i must take photos of all areas of the car to post up as the final build but the car is ever developing so i keep thinking ill do it after this upgrade but then that gets done and something else pops up so i want to wait for that, ive been doing this for 2 years now ahahah sorry!!

wardy18

Release Bearing arrived back yesterday with its brand new carrier compliments of Colin (again many thanks for gettin me out the sh*t) and it fits like a glove, very happy with it!!

The box is now ready to lift into place now which will be happening tonight now i have finished raising my oil tank up 30mm to clear the new lift reverse.

Im intrigued about utilising the oil filler hole (BE1 Lift reverse cable location) as a breather so am going to ask if its actually required before i do anything!!

post-11100-0-81945800-1374047008.jpg

post-11100-0-13971800-1374047018_thumb.jpg

alexcrosse

Better breathing out of there than your drive shaft seals...

wardy18

Ill be breathing out my a$$ saturday when its 24 degrees and im in black fireproof overalls.......