• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

[misc_work] Time For My Wheel Refurb Thread!

philfingers

Did mine with etch primer, primer filler and Gold Smoothrite for about £10. http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=103393

the colour is a bit odd, though the pics don't really do them justice. Incidentally the faded to f*** grey plastic trim was dyed using the black Plasticare stuff i got off ebay and it came out great for the £10 the dye cost. I didn't remove my tyres, just let the air out, pulled the valve out and then pushed the tyres back off the rim a bit

chocolate_o_brian
Incidentally the faded to f*** grey plastic trim was dyed using the black Plasticare stuff i got off ebay and it came out great for the £10 the dye cost.

Good stuff isn't it. Doesn't last forever, but certainly better than shelling out every month for trim detailers.

I've got a hangover this morning, so I'm off for bacon and a snooze. Will spray the other wheels this afternoon when I pick up a can on laquer.

One question I do have for the masses,

I gave the 2 wheels done last night 2 coats of laquer inside and out. Would I get away with adding a third layer, even though the laquer has dried well overnight? Just as a precautionary move, so the brakedust doesn't get in the 2 layers on. Extra protection and all that jazz :rolleyes:

willmounsey

I you laquer them again when the previous laquer has cured it might not stick as well and will peel off time, I'd 1000 wet before more laquer it'll reduce this happening.

chocolate_o_brian
I you laquer them again when the previous laquer has cured it might not stick as well and will peel off time, I'd 1000 wet before more laquer it'll reduce this happening.

Ah, knew there was a reason for laquering together. It's not an issue, I'll wait and see what they look like when all 4 are done laters (and dried in the morning in the case of the 2 in primer still). Will make a decision then. I have plenty of wet/dry left so if I'm not happy I can have a blast then :wacko:

Just gotta sand the bloody centre caps down now, which will be fun around the Peugeot lion :rolleyes:

willmounsey

Can you buy replacement lion's for the centre caps?

More cost i know would make it easyer for yourself. :rolleyes:

welshpug

no but you can buy new centre caps.

chocolate_o_brian
no but you can buy new centre caps.

Aye, for about £25 off ebay + P&P, bugger that <_<

Mine are in good nick and it will give me something to do.

My wheel sealant arrived from Polished Bliss today, so as soon as the other wheels are painted and laquered, I can get the tyres on and seal them several times.

chocolate_o_brian

Day 10

The 2 painted and laquered wheels have been in the living room now nearly a day and had chance to dry. No sun today so had to make do with indoors...

S6300675.jpg

S6300674.jpg

S6300672.jpg

I'm gonna go paint and laquer the other 2 now if I can do so without the rain getting in my shed. <_<

May I ask how long the laquer needs to dry properly before I put my tyres on? As the two finsihed have had a day and the two getting done today will have tonight and tomorrow morning before I wanted to get the tyres on tomorrow pm.

Ta

welshpug

never thought about buying direct from peugeot for £4.60 each then?

quick rub with the scotchbrite off you go, no need for those hours wasted trying to clean 20 years of crud and paint off your old ones <_<

Fox

They look smashing, dont paint while its damp and rainy outside though! Especially in a cold damp shed!

Tom Fenton

I would leave them longer to put the tyres on, especially is it is single pack lacquer so no hardener to make it go off properly hard. I lacquered mine Weds morning first thing and have had the tyres put on this afternoon, that is with 2k lacquer and hardener though.

willmounsey

Agree with Tom

That halfords paint is not the best paint in the world and nor the laquer ether, they tend to take more time to cure i'd leave for another 24-36 hours to be safe.

chocolate_o_brian
Agree with Tom

That halfords paint is not the best paint in the world and nor the laquer ether, they tend to take more time to cure i'd leave for another 24-36 hours to be safe.

No problem, sounds like a plan. I may go Saturday morning then to my mates tyre place and have them done then. That will give the ones I'm about to laquer a good 36 hours to harden. Thing is though, when the tyres are put on, the wheels won't be going straight onto the car, a few days will pass first.

Right, another update...

3 coats of white paint on the inners (pics taken while still wet)...

S6300676.jpg

S6300677.jpg

S6300678.jpg

5 coats of white on the faces (again just finished the 5th, so still wet)...

S6300679.jpg

S6300680.jpg

S6300681.jpg

Plan for now then is to do 2 coats of laquer on the inners and faces, and then let dry a while and bring them in for the night.

Tomorrow, I'll attack the centre caps me thinks!

SurGie
you wont get the insides smooth unless you sand them. Best thing you can do is just clean them as much as you can, and sand the edges of the spokes smooth.

Only other thing i can think of is a die grinder type of setup, but be careful you dont take too much off the wheel. On the other hand, it costs approx £60 to get alloys dipped in acid. Now that will clean them up perfect, and then you just prime and paint them.

What kind of place do the "acid clean" on alloy's?

Also i bet you got grit in your teeth leaving the toothbrush's in the bathroom, noticed in your 1st few pic's :blink::huh:<_<

chocolate_o_brian

Final update for the day...

THE WHEELS ARE FINISHED!!!

Gave the insides 2 decent coats of laquer about 10 mins apart, then whilst the second coat was wet, I flipped them around and did the first decent coat on the faces. Another 10 mins and I did coat 2.

Insides after 2 coats of laquer...

S6300682.jpg

S6300683.jpg

S6300684.jpg

After the second coat had been applied, I gave them 30 mins and decided it was best to usher the wheels inside as outside it was pretty chilly. I didn't wanna bugger up my graft over the last few days by forgetting and leaving them in there overnight in frosty conditions.

So the faces after laquer...

S6300691.jpg

S6300692.jpg

S6300693.jpg

As I was on a roll, while the 2 wheels were in the shed (read above), I attacked the centre caps to save some work tomorrow.

Nice and grubby...

S6300685.jpg

Sanded them using 120 grit wet, wet/dry paper in some warm soapy water ready for primering. After being dried, I got some old newspaper and did them on the freezer :ph34r:

Before...

S6300687.jpg

After 2 thick coats of primer (only doing 2 layers on these)...

S6300690.jpg

So new plan for tomorrow is to check for runs on the centre caps and sand if necessary. Then paint and laquer them too. Then I'm done, and ready to get the tyres on once the laquer has hardened for a day or 2. May give it a few more days before the wheels are put back on the car though, after a good coating of sealant protective.

More tomorrow on what seems will be the final day of my epic journey :wacko:

Cameron

I'm not trying to s*it all over your party here, but try pushing a fingernail into the paint before you get the tyres fitted. If the paint hasn't hardened properly (very likely) then you'll risk damaging the paint when you fit the tyres. Saying that, you may well be waiting a long time! If the paint has hardened enough that you can firmly press the end of your nail into it without leaving a mark within a week, I'll down a cup of my own manly fluids.

willmounsey

Looking pretty sweet mate nice one :ph34r:

If you do sand the center cap be very careful not to sand too hard or you'll take the paint off the raised outline of the lion.

If there's no runs just paint them then lauqer since there only a small area you can get away without it being flattened.

Will

chocolate_o_brian
Looking pretty sweet mate nice one :ph34r:

If you do sand the center cap be very careful not to sand too hard or you'll take the paint off the raised outline of the lion.

If there's no runs just paint them then lauqer since there only a small area you can get away without it being flattened.

Will

That was my general thinking fella, cheers.

pugpete1108
I'm not trying to s*it all over your party here, but try pushing a fingernail into the paint before you get the tyres fitted. If the paint hasn't hardened properly (very likely) then you'll risk damaging the paint when you fit the tyres. Saying that, you may well be waiting a long time! If the paint has hardened enough that you can firmly press the end of your nail into it without leaving a mark within a week, I'll down a cup of my own manly fluids.

i agree totally, i did mine in halfrauds wheel paint+laquer and tbh were still 'soft' for a good month or two so much so that from storage they had loads of mrks etc on the outer rims that i have had to sand them and touch them up.

might make a differnt choice with laquer type to finish them off...any reccomendations?

willmounsey
i agree totally, i did mine in halfrauds wheel paint+laquer and tbh were still 'soft' for a good month or two so much so that from storage they had loads of mrks etc on the outer rims that i have had to sand them and touch them up.

might make a differnt choice with laquer type to finish them off...any reccomendations?

Simoniz (which i mostly use) are good for the money also U-POL.

chocolate_o_brian

Hmm, reading the replies on here, think I'll leave the wheels for a few days so the laquer has more chance to harden. Ne bother, will do it next week sometime :ph34r:

The morning after the night before...

S6300694.jpg

Will fanny about with the centre caps later.

Rom

Look nice mate.

With regards to how long to leave them, id be wary of what type of sealant you use on them in the short term. Paint that has been baked still needs a month or so before its sealed with a synthetic sealant, as they can stop the paint gassing properly. Essentiatlly it will trap the solvents, gases etc.

Not sure about rattle cans, but id imagine its a similar principle.

If the centres of the caps are flaky, might be hard to get a good finish, sanding in such a tight confined area etc. New caps arent too exspensive if they dont come out, but hopefully they will be fine !

chocolate_o_brian
Look nice mate.

With regards to how long to leave them, id be wary of what type of sealant you use on them in the short term. Paint that has been baked still needs a month or so before its sealed with a synthetic sealant, as they can stop the paint gassing properly. Essentiatlly it will trap the solvents, gases etc.

Not sure about rattle cans, but id imagine its a similar principle.

If the centres of the caps are flaky, might be hard to get a good finish, sanding in such a tight confined area etc. New caps arent too exspensive if they dont come out, but hopefully they will be fine !

As long as they look better than they did - I'll be happy with the centre caps fella.

I'm using a tub of wax sealant, so what would you suggest? I'm leaving it a week or so before tyres and then gonna seal them like mad when they are on for brake dust protection.

pugman211

agreed, with a 1k (single pack) rattle can, ideally you really want to leave them a long time before you have the tyres put on. And when you get the tyres put back on, use loads of the tyre lube, you will be suprised how much it will save the paint.

When tyres are on, before they are pumped up, clean the edges of the rims and check for paint damage. if all is ok, then pump them up. Because of the aerosol paint, balance weights will have to go on the edge of the rims i think, otherwise they will probably pull the paint off the insides of the alloys etc.

But at the end of the day, you got the result you were after. The wheels look great and they will look ace on the car. And you learnt loads from doing it yourself...................like next time pay someone for the hard work!! lol :wub:

chocolate_o_brian
agreed, with a 1k (single pack) rattle can, ideally you really want to leave them a long time before you have the tyres put on. And when you get the tyres put back on, use loads of the tyre lube, you will be suprised how much it will save the paint.

When tyres are on, before they are pumped up, clean the edges of the rims and check for paint damage. if all is ok, then pump them up. Because of the aerosol paint, balance weights will have to go on the edge of the rims i think, otherwise they will probably pull the paint off the insides of the alloys etc.

But at the end of the day, you got the result you were after. The wheels look great and they will look ace on the car. And you learnt loads from doing it yourself...................like next time pay someone for the hard work!! lol :P

Lol been a p.i.t.a. but worth it. I'll tell my mate to go gentle when doing the tyres.

Balance weights go on the outside of the inners anyways due to the Autofive big brake kit on the front end. Balance weights catch on the calipers, thats how little room I have :wub: