• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

[misc_work] Time For My Wheel Refurb Thread!

pugman211

Yep all that sounds good. About the clean cloth part, when i sand anything with wet or dry, i just use a sponge to wipe off any excess water or sanding residue. then clean it with the pre-paint wipe, then tack rag the item.

As for the painting, if it where me, i'd be looking at no more than 2 coats on the inside of the wheels first. simply because you wont see that part of the wheel. Then like you are planning 3 - 4 good coats on the top. The overspray wont affect the final finish on the inside of the wheel so dont worry about that. Its only gonna get covered in brake dust anyway. That way your not wasting valuable paint!!! lol

Top job looking forward to the pics!

chocolate_o_brian
Yep all that sounds good. About the clean cloth part, when i sand anything with wet or dry, i just use a sponge to wipe off any excess water or sanding residue. then clean it with the pre-paint wipe, then tack rag the item.

As for the painting, if it where me, i'd be looking at no more than 2 coats on the inside of the wheels first. simply because you wont see that part of the wheel. Then like you are planning 3 - 4 good coats on the top. The overspray wont affect the final finish on the inside of the wheel so dont worry about that. Its only gonna get covered in brake dust anyway. That way your not wasting valuable paint!!! lol

Top job looking forward to the pics!

Before I write my update with pics, may I ask one important question please?

I'm gonna do 2 coats on the inners of paint, 15 mins apart. I'm understood there. But then do I laquer the inner after 30 mins? Or do I do the face 3-4 coats, leave the face for 30 mins and then laquer all together. I'm really stuck on this bit and can't really get any further until I figure it out.

Cheers mate.

chocolate_o_brian

Right, update part 1 of 2...

The 2 wheels I primered yesterday were today sanded down with wet 600 grit wet/dry paper.

Face of one...

S6300623.jpg

Inner of one...

S6300624.jpg

This neatly got rid of any overspray which wasn't really predominant anyways on these two. I didn;t really sand the inners much as they won;t be seen most the time anyways.

Then gave them a soak with my watering can (didn't wanna use my Karcher as they were pretty clean to be fair) and a cotton cloth...

S6300629.jpg

chocolate_o_brian

Update part 2 of 2...

Meanwhile, I had given the inners of the other two wheels 2 coats of primer. One light and one heavy. Little overspray but will sand this tomorrow....

S6300626.jpg

S6300627.jpg

S6300628.jpg

With this done, I let them become touch dry and proceeded to give the faces 4 varying layers of primer.

First layer did bugger all like yesterday...

S6300630.jpg

Second layer was thicker...

S6300631.jpg

Complete with ludicrous overspray lol...

S6300633.jpg

Third layer (on this I tried to get some coverage inbetween the spokes...

S6300634.jpg

And last layer where everything was given a good going over with more overspray to sand tomorrow :) ...

S6300635.jpg

S6300636.jpg

S6300637.jpg

Right, the plan for tonight is to get the 2 freshly primered wheels inside in the warm to dry out overnight and fanny around with them tomorrow.

The two which have had the primer sanded and been washed will hopefully get paint, once I know 100% which method to use when spraying the colour and laquering in the same session. Thats upto you guys to help :D

More laters hopefully.

Tom Fenton

You really are dedicated to do all of this. I've spent about 4 hours on mine with a selection of power tools to sand them down, I am now thoroughly bored and I haven't even touched the insides at all, TBH I probably won't do either, I have a funny feeling they will be in etch primer tonight!!

Anyway hats off to you, I don't have your patience that is for sure.

chocolate_o_brian

Can someone help us out with the below please, otherwise I'm at a standstill. Ta

I'm gonna do 2 coats on the inners of paint, 15 mins apart. I'm understood there. But then do I laquer the inner after 30 mins? Or do I do the face 3-4 coats, leave the face for 30 mins and then laquer all together. I'm really stuck on this bit and can't really get any further until I figure it out.

Guest Chinn

So i understand your only doing 3-4 coats of paint on each? i used 500ml on 2 rims to get a good finish. if i was you i would paint the inners then paint the outside then laquer all over thats what i did any way

remember to do the rear first then the front other but remember and think about overspray on either side

chocolate_o_brian
So i understand your only doing 3-4 coats of paint on each? i used 500ml on 2 rims to get a good finish. if i was you i would paint the inners then paint the outside then laquer all over thats what i did any way

remember to do the rear first then the front other but remember and think about overspray on either side

So what you're saying is do the couple decent coats on the inners first, say about 10-15 mins between. Then flip them round (without laquering) and do the 3-4 coats on the faces with about 10-15 mins between. Then leave to dry for about 30 mins and then apply the laquer.

Where do I apply laquer first? The inners, then the face? Do I do a couple of coats on the inners, let dry then do a couple coats on the faces afterwards?

This is whats confusing me as I don't wanna bugger all my efforts at the last stage :rolleyes:

willmounsey
So what you're saying is do the couple decent coats on the inners first, say about 10-15 mins between. Then flip them round (without laquering) and do the 3-4 coats on the faces with about 10-15 mins between. Then leave to dry for about 30 mins and then apply the laquer.

Where do I apply laquer first? The inners, then the face? Do I do a couple of coats on the inners, let dry then do a couple coats on the faces afterwards?

This is whats confusing me as I don't wanna bugger all my efforts at the last stage :rolleyes:

if you paint the inside first then the face and the same with the laquer but leave the inside to cure a bit (30mins) before turnng it'll reduce the risk of getting finger prints in the laquer.

so far so good mate :P

willmounsey

oh aye one more wee thing that'll help when your using the paint the more light the better, white can be a bugger to spray if you dont have enough light its hard to see were you've already sprayed and you also would be able to dust the paint on reducing the risk of runs :rolleyes:

pugman211

If it was me, i'd do the inners first. 2 coats, 1 light coat, leave for 5 min, then good 2nd coat. (this is just the white base). Then flip the wheel round, and paint the 1st coat on the outers, again nice light even coat. leave for 5 min. 2nd coat bit more heavier, leave for 10 - 15 min. 3rd coat is same as 2nd and you can stop there if your happy with the result. If not, then leave 20 min and put another coat on.

Then leave the wheels minimum of 30 min - 1 hour max (this is to let the base dry thoroughly)

Now flip the wheels back to the inners, and lacquer the inner the same as described for the base. Then flip to the outers and apply the first coat on, this way you wont have any overspray to worry about because the lacquer hasnt dried enough to make a difference. leave for about 5 min, apply 2nd coat of lacquer. leave for around 10-15 min. apply another coat if your not happy with the results.

Job done. leave to dry thoroughly till next day and if its sunny put them outside in sunlight. When flipping the wheels from inners to outers, hold them in the center of the alloy, i.e where the tyre sits. You wont see finger prints there when finished.

Hope this helps, and everything your doing is spot on, so if i sound like im criticising, im not lol, just trying to help. :rolleyes:

Cameron

Before you rush into the paint, heeeeeeeed this warning!!

Halfords paint is absolute s*ite! I learnt this the hard way when I refurbished some Rallye steelies. I painted them in summer, and left about 30 mins between coats for the paint to dry, and gave the wheels 3 coats each then a coat of lacquer. This wasn't anywhere near long enough, even in summer! The paint was still extremely soft and took about 6 months (honestly) to harden properly! I mean you could push your fingernail into the paint! :P

I seriously recommend that you either leave at least a day between light coats, or use a different paint. Plastikote paint (available in Halfrauds) seems to be a hell of a lot better. It would be a real shame to have gone to all this effort and end up being let down by your materials!

Edit:

As well as being soft as s*ite, the Halfords paint seemed to be attacked by brake dust extremely easily. I left them for a couple of days with some light dust and that was it, it was part of the wheel. :rolleyes:

Edited by Cameron

chocolate_o_brian

Thanks guys, I think what I needed was a decent in depth description of what to do. I'll follow the advice to the "T".

Cameron, it's a little late now for paint. Have 4 cans of white paint so I shall have to put plenty of laquer on.

In my defence however, I've ordered some Poorboys wheel sealant today from www.polishedbliss.co.uk, under their advice. I told them exactly what I had bought primer/paint wise and what my intentions were.

We discussed in full what to do, and it was agreed I should apply 6-7 coats of the wheel sealant before putting them back on the car. Then regular coatings everytime the car is washed.

Hopefully this should see me right, but I haven't the ££ to invest in more paint unfortunatley.

Gents, thank you again, without all thr help, advice and tips, I'd have ended up refurbing myself.

:rolleyes::P

Cameron

Well, you can always return them. :rolleyes:

chocolate_o_brian
Well, you can always return them. :D

If I had more cashes to add to the Plastikote stuff you mentioned, yes I could.

I'd have to bin raid my wheelie bin outside too, as it seems after consulting the Mrs, she has thrown them out with her tea leftovers, the contents of 2 hamster cages and a months worth of hoovering dust.

Bugger :rolleyes:

:P

chocolate_o_brian

Day 9

So far (as I was uber busy until 3pm), I've given the 2 wheels which were primered yesterday a sanding and wash, ready for painting.

Sanding stage with a bowl of warm water and 600 grit wet/dry paper...

S6300638.jpg

S6300639.jpg

Then a wash outside with my trusty watering can and a clean cloth...

S6300640.jpg

Dried down and then wiped with a paint preperation wipe for good measure...

S6300641.jpg

Right, other 2 wheels are in the shed waiting to be spray painted now, so with me luck and bon voyage :)

pugpete1108

looking good mate, be prepared for more paint than you bargained for though.

mine are still waiting for laquer :)

HPIM1652.jpg

Tom Fenton

Here are mine now painted and lacquered

205wheels001-1.jpg

If you want to fetch yours over I will lacquer them with proper 2k lacquer for you for a small fee towards the lacquer cost?

chocolate_o_brian
Here are mine now painted and lacquered

205wheels001-1.jpg

If you want to fetch yours over I will lacquer them with proper 2k lacquer for you for a small fee towards the lacquer cost?

Thanks for the offer, but I'm laquering 2 of them tonight in about 30 mins lol. Your look very good, better than mine do. Mine are quite dull at the moment.

chocolate_o_brian

Another update...

I've got some paint on, finally :)

Did 3 inner coats, first being a light one, then 2 heavyish ones thereafter.

(No pic of this sorry)

Then flipped the wheels over. Altogether I did 5 coats on the faces, starting with two lightish ones and then heavier ones. I'm quite happy, but as expected a couple of runs have occured. It is the first time I've ever sprayed wheels though, so hopefully when laquered they won't look too bad.

Pics...

S6300659.jpg

S6300660.jpg

S6300661.jpg

This was a slight mshap I had on layer 4. Finger slipped (thanks arthritis :) ) and sprayed a little too hard on one area...

S6300644.jpg

Shall wait and see what they look like dry in 30 mins, and then laquer the inners, then faces a couple times.

taylorspug

If you do get any small runs, dont be too scared to brush them out as soon as they occur. Wait for that layer to tack off then go over the run area again to get some paint on it. By the time the paint has dried off 90% of the brush marks will have shrunk back anyway. Plus on wheels and in white they will be even harder to see.

willmounsey

If you have a wee run in it mate the laquer will act as a magnifier and it will be more noticable, get a small piece of 1000 wet and sand it down lighty then laquer.

chocolate_o_brian

Last update of the night. Apologies for my speilling/grammr as I'm a bit pished after the Utd Vs Porto match :)

Right, pre-football I got 2 layers of laquer on the inners. After the first, I gave approx 10 mins and then did the second. Then as soon as I did the second, I flipped the buggers round and did the first coat on the face. From what I remember I did the first coat normal (with bloody runs), and the second heavy. I also made a note of doing the rims in particular as these will be seen slightly with the tyres.

2 layers of laquer...

S6300662.jpg

S6300663.jpg

S6300664.jpg

Inside the house, touch dry under the kitchen lights...

S6300665.jpg

S6300667.jpg

The close up on one of the wheels which I'm not 100% with...

S6300670.jpg

(this is laquered so advice would be appreciated)

A comparison with one of the two wheels to be sprayed tomorrow :) ...

S6300671.jpg

Thanks for reading, I love you all sooo much!!! B)

Edited by chocolate_o_brian

kennygti

Yes mate they look awesome. Wicked job considering its your first go. Well done

chocolate_o_brian

Lol

I've just remembered, I haven't done my centre caps yet :)

In all the euphoria of trying to get decent results on the wheels themselves, my caps have sat in the kitchen, dirrty as fook.

Presume its the same method for these chaps? Sand, then primer, then sand, then spray, then laquer?

Bonos Dente