• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

[misc_work] Time For My Wheel Refurb Thread!

chocolate_o_brian
You could try heating the badge with a hairdryer first to loosen the glue, then clean it off with some tar and glue remover.

The last owner of my car had the gti badge on the front valance below the driving light! :(

Can't as it seems some of the paint is missing. The badge fell off a while back and it took the laquer underneath with it. So thats why I stuck it back on. If I had a spare grill to sand and paint, I'd do this. Give the lion badge a spruce up too and respray the grill in graphite grey/laquer.

Rupertfinch

I've a cherry red/pink grill that has sat in my dad's shed for nigh on 3 years. You're welcome to it for the price of postage, If that'd be any help. Though I imagine you'd prefer a graphite one to start with.

chocolate_o_brian
I've a cherry red/pink grill that has sat in my dad's shed for nigh on 3 years. You're welcome to it for the price of postage, If that'd be any help. Though I imagine you'd prefer a graphite one to start with.

If it would fit on my GTi fella, would be much appreciated :lol:

Would have to send you some ££ for postage in about a weeks time though, berassic until next Friday unfortunately. :(

Pm me and we can sort it out, much appreciated as I don't mind spraying something after a sand!

Atari Boy

Andy

I am about to start refurbing my rims soon using your guide.

How have the wheels faired?

Is there anything you would or would not not do if you were to do it agaoin?

Many thanks

Jonny

chocolate_o_brian
Andy

I am about to start refurbing my rims soon using your guide.

How have the wheels faired?

Is there anything you would or would not not do if you were to do it agaoin?

Many thanks

Jonny

To be fair, I think I did pretty good. The sanding was the worst thing, but my wheels were covered in all types of paint previously. If you had access to shot blasting or acid dipping, it would save you a lot of time. Get good primer, spray paint and laquer... I've found the Halfords stuff I used to be fine contrary to opinion on here mate.

After applying laquer let it set under heat for a few days otherwise when putting tyres on, it's still soft.

PM me if you want any advice mate, I won't profess to be a pro at it, but can offer help on what obsticles got in my way.

Andy