• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cloverleaf

[trackday_prep] 309 Trackday Car

welshpug

looks like you could get some ET28 "nimrods" in there without spacers :lol:

yorkshirekowboy
I'm not sure mate. I think I got it from QEP, but I may have the receipt or box somewhere. May I ask why?!

im after a pump mate, wondering what make pumps peeps on here recommend that was all :lol:

[L'e$kro]
looks like you could get some ET28 "nimrods" in there without spacers ;)

What wheels are those? Never heard about!

The 306 rear beam fitting really interests me, as 309 gti16 beams are getting rare nowadays...

The best solution for my lazzy person would be someone creatings a batch of mounting kits like the one you made...

Very nice work on your 309 anyway...

Nicolas

EdCherry

Nimrods come off the 406 and 206.

[L'e$kro]
Nimrods come off the 406 and 206.

Ok. I didn't know as we call them "Ouragan" in France

Nico

Cloverleaf

To save rolling the arches you mean Welshpug?

When I can afford a new set of tyres I want to fit my C5 wheels but it would be intresting to try some nimrods, need to find somwone with a 206!

Edited by Cloverleaf

Anthony
looks like you could get some ET28 "nimrods" in there without spacers ;)

Whilst clearance on the inner arch should be plentiful, I suspect that the wheel might foul on the trailing arm/ARB endplate - certainly there's not a huge amount of clearance there as standard, and with the difference in offset will bring the wheel further inwards...

Cloverleaf

Spent another day on the car today. I cleaned up the wiring under the bonnet, had another go at fitting the O/S wing as the panel gaps were terrible. Tightened up the brake unions and removed the brembo's....I bought a bleed nipple repair thing. It's a stainless insert with an M12x1 thread an an M6 bleed nipple on the inside. That's my last hope with this caliper I think...

Also, refitted the heater (again) and the main part of the dash and steering column. Then spent a while fitting the bonnet pins and the removing the bonnet catch. It's looking a bit more like a car. Forgot to take many pics tho...

31052009187.jpg

31052009188.jpg

Cloverleaf

Update from yesterday...fitted the exhaust (it's a Janspeed one that came with the car). I hate it but I can't afford a new one at the minute...think I'm going to just cut the crap chrome end piece off tho...

05062009193.jpg

Pretty much finished tidying the engine bay, just need a nit of plastic covering for the loom near the two plugs, and something to cover the plugs with for reliability. Also need to plug the servo take off from the inlet manifold...

05062009190.jpg

Finished putting the dash in. Just need to make a bracket to hold the fusebox up and two covers for the cut-outs in the dash...

05062009191.jpg

Cut some aluminium (1.5mm thick) for the sunroof plate and drilled out all the old rivnuts, they're more trouble than they're worth so I'm just going to use M6 cap head and lock nuts...

05062009195.jpg

05062009196.jpg

I'm tempted to leave it unpainted on the inside as I quite like it and it makes the car a bit brighter.

It's getting there, but there is still plenty of little jobs I want to do.

Joe

edbar

Looking really good, keep it up!! :D

Lan

where did you get that alu from mate, and is that the same vacuum type sunroof as the 205?

Cloverleaf

Yeah same type of sunroof. Got the sheet from a mate who owns an metal work fabrication company so not much help to you!

Cloverleaf

Did a bit more today...

Got my caliper back from the machine shop, had the bleed nipple drilled out to M12x1, then I got a s/s insert for a 6mm bleed nipple....

14062009203.jpg

Hopefully it'll work as I didn't have time to bleed it :blink:

Primed my sunroof plate....

14062009204.jpg

Also, these turned up in the week...thanks Kev. Cant wait to try them out. Hopefully the discs wont just melt!! :D

14062009206.jpg

I also plated the circular hole in the rear footwell where those plates are stuck in.

Finally, I cut some 20mm lengths of 1" box to act as temporary spacers so I can push the car about now the Brembo's are on (again). So this is the final wide track....

14062009208.jpg

Cloverleaf

Well I spent all day friday rolling the rear arches. It's the first time I've done it and I've decided I'm rubbish at it! ;)

The O/S already had a dent above the arch which I don't think helped, coupled with the attchment points on the inner wing and the original shape of the arch I don't think 309's are that easy to do. But maybe, I am just terrible at it...

I took the torsion bar out and kept rolling it until the damper could basically bottom out (I need to space my bumpstops a bit). Anyone know how long before the end of travel the standard bump stop engages??

I then spent ages getting the ride height the same on both sides once the car was on the ground, and checked it with me in it too :P

19062009211.jpg

19062009212.jpg

I also fitted the sunroof blanking plate...

20062009214.jpg

I also bled the brakes. My easy bleed kit doesn't have a large enough adaptor for my brake reservoir's so I made one :P ...

20062009213.jpg

Looking over the nearly finished car it's very functional but not too pretty so I've decided to run it until late this year then take the engine out and get it sprayed. Funny how things escillate :ph34r:

calvinhorse

excellent work mate!

Cloverleaf

Tidied up a few more bits today, trying to get it ready for the MOT.

I needed to re-fit the VIN plate and I was going to rivet it to the slam panel, then I thought the slam panel looked a bit crap and heavy so I lightened it a bit and painted it...

28062009216.jpg

28062009217.jpg

Then I fitted the seats, harnesses and wiper blades. Check out the dust...

28062009218.jpg

I also stuck some grip tape designed for boats in the footwells but no pictures.

All I need to do before the MOT is fit some proper wheel spacers to the front and re-locate the winscreen washer bottle somewhere.

Edited by Cloverleaf

edbar

Love the swaged holes! Where did you get the swager from?

taylorspug

Look good, like the swaging. Where did you get the grip tape from? :wacko:

TT205

I bet you can also buy it from skateboard shops

Cloverleaf

This is the grip tape I got (but in black)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/anti-slip-WHITE-tape...%3A1%7C294%3A50

It's a lot different to the sand paper style skate board grip tape. Doesn't feel rough when dry really but better (I hope) than skateboard stuff in the wet. It's a bit thicker and more like plastic. I'll try to get some pics when I roll the car into some light.

By the way Ed I had the swage tool made, scroll back a few pages.....

Sam

Make sure you do a good job when applying the grip tape. It can be a right arse.

Batfink

looking good :lol:

As long as the disks have a good carbon content they shouldnt wear too bad <_<

The carbone lorraine are wicked though and have a serious bite!

kev

Cloverleaf

Grip tape is already on Sam, i think it's pretty good but only time will tell!

No idea on the carbon content of the discs Kev, hopefully I'll be able to pass judgement on the pads soon...not that I think you're biased <_<

jackherer
looking good :lol:

As long as the disks have a good carbon content they shouldnt wear too bad <_<

The carbone lorraine are wicked though and have a serious bite!

kev

My friends 205 with wilwoods and some plain 285mm discs from rally design has used a pair of discs up in no time after getting some carbone lorraines on them. They are amazing but the cost of discs is going to be too much to keep using them. If you can supply some decently priced discs to go with a set of carbone lorraines in wilwood 4 pots PM me and my mate will buy a set of discs and new pads from you but otherwise he will have to go back to mintex or something.

Batfink

what ones did you use? RC6?

The RC5 is a similar friction level to the mintex range, but you may be more suited to a new pad they are bringing out end of the year.

Some people buy just really cheap disks as disks are cheaper than pads...

If you want a disk to cope with the harder pads then you need to find ones with high carbon content, as these are tougher. Brembo make them as well as others.