• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cloverleaf

[trackday_prep] 309 Trackday Car

Cloverleaf
Ahhhh, I was so close to buying a set of those MG calipers! I decided not to as the mounts stick out quite far and limit your options with making brackets and I'm kinda glad now. B)

Nice build though, some good work on the beam mounts etc. :)

I've saved you a lot of hassle there then! Exactly, the lugs are too big and the offset is all wrong...could work with massive discs maybe. I'm still disappointed as the calipers are very nice.

edbar

Great work, pedal box looks good.

Cloverleaf

Had a tool turned up to flare the holes in the gussets, got them all welded in.

Shouldn't be any flex in the bulkhead now:

12042009114.jpg

A pillar:

12042009116.jpg

B pillar:

12042009112.jpg

12042009113.jpg

Screen bar:

12042009117.jpg

Also seam sealed and stone chipped underneath but no pictures. Just want to clean and prep the inside before I finish the welding with the door bars. Then hopefully it'll start looking like progress!

edbar

Great work, should keep it nice and stiff!

Cloverleaf

Finished stone chipping the underside so re-fitted the fuel tank will all new clips. Also fitted the rear beam and back bumper for the last time.

26042009134.jpg

Also refitted the front O/S wing and headlights and indicators.

Seam sealed around the cage in the engine bay ready to finish the engine bay next time.

Finally sanded my Brembo's and gave them a coat of black paint. Didn't expect them to be matt but quite like them. Stealth...

26042009138.jpg

EdCherry

Any chance you can get a few detailed pictures of this tool you had made for flaring?

Cloverleaf

Yeah no problem but I wont be able to take any till I next work on the car (Friday).

I've got a hydraulic hole punch that I had two bits of steel turned up for (one fits inside the other).

EdCherry

Yer thats cool, could you maybe give me a few measurements too?

Cloverleaf

Yea no problem, I modelled it on CAD so I'll get the drawing. You could just replace the hydraulic punch with a nut and bolt.

Cloverleaf

I've been doing a bit more over the last few day sbut haven't photo'd it all.

However, a mini updated....

New decals and a coat of lacquer for the Brembo's...

02052009146.jpg

Strut tops paianted. I plan to take the engine out next winter and tidy it up and paint the engine bay but for now I just want to stop it rusting...

02052009143.jpg

I've also finished my bias pedal box but I'll save the photo's for tomorrow when it's assembled.

Cloverleaf

At Ed's request...a quick guide on how I did the hole flaring for the gussets.

Take one hydraulic hole punch (shown with the 1" hole tool attached). Drill a 12mm hole in the sheet, then punch the hole:

02052009147.jpg

02052009148.jpg

Remove the cutting tool and fit the flaring tool.

02052009150.jpg

Obviously the metal goes between the two halves.

End product.

02052009151.jpg

Sorry it's not a real guide with pictures for each stage but I didn't have a scrap bit of metal with a 12mm hole in to do one!

I haven't got the drawing I did for the flaring tool but can do another one if need be.

Cloverleaf

I've done a fair bit more over the last few days, most of it prep stuff ready to do the final assembly. Cut the dash and think I'm finished in the car so welded the door bars in. Doors wont close now as the door bars hit on the electric window tray and door handle! I'll investigate that when the painting is done. I'm already annoyed with climbing in and out of the car! Also started on my brake lines, made the rear braided lines and drilled the required holes in the car to get from inside to outside. Also finished the pedal box. Anyway, a couple of pics of how it currently stands. Roll cage primed:

04052009154.jpg

04052009155.jpg

Pedal box done, painted and trial assembled:

04052009156.jpg

04052009157.jpg

Edited by Cloverleaf

CosKev

As usaul,awesome work :lol:

Cloverleaf

Thanks mate :)

Some pics of today's work. I'm so fed up of crawling around and crouching between the cage :blush:

God knows how long it took me to mask the cage but it felt like forever!

05052009159.jpg

05052009158.jpg

05052009160.jpg

05052009162.jpg

Joe

Cloverleaf

Put the front suspension back on today and fitted all 4 calipers, handbrake cables and started on the brake lines.

06052009163.jpg

06052009164.jpg

06052009165.jpg

I'm not sure if I am going to make a bracket for the braided hose at the rear yet, so just zip tied it to the trailing arm for now.

Cloverleaf

I'm geting new rear discs by the way :D

CosKev

Cage looks good :blush:

Have you made up the rear flexis yourself?????

If so how hard is it and what are the costs involved please????? :D

Cloverleaf

Yes mate made the flexi's myself. It's fairly easy to do, cut the hose to length (I use a grinder with a thin blade for a quick clean cut) and then fit the end a bit like a coax plug on a TV cable.

Cost wise, I got mine from Rally Design, fixings are about £4 each and the hose is about £4/m. Possibly plus VAT and delivery. Doing my brake lines (the way i've done them - which is not the cheapest) is one of the most expensive bits on my car when you add it all up though.

Batfink

starting to come together nicely! How is the fit on the rear with your track tyres? will you have to roll the arches a little?

Cloverleaf

I've not tired it on the ground yet, but i'm pretty certain it'll need a little rolling. Did you notice the missing front brake pads?? :P Seriously though, I got your email and as you can see I'm not 'desperate' just yet....I have some old one's I can use to bleed the brakes if need be.

Cloverleaf

Did some more over the weekend, doesn't look like much tho!

Fitted my pedal box and finished all my hard brake lines (excuse the dust!)

17052009168.jpg

17052009169.jpg

17052009171.jpg

17052009172.jpg

17052009173.jpg

Also:

- Refitted the heater - decided I wanted it after all!

- Refitted the wiper mechanism

- Cut out some wiring that's no longer needed - the old cobra immobiliser, the brake pad wear rubbish etc

- Tidied up the rear wiring

- Refitted the window and door rubbers

I needed a throttle pedal stop so I made an adjustable one which i'm really pleased with :) . Didn't take any pictures as it's not fitted. Is there supposed to be one as standard?

fast_eddie

Great work!

Can you get any higher res/larger pics up?

Might spur me on to get out in the rain and finish mine...

Cloverleaf

Over the last few days I've battled numerous problems. I've also learnt a few things...don't buy copper/nickle brake pipe, get standard copper!! I've done all my hard lines again as I couldn't get the copper/nickle to seal properly - which I think is because it's soo much harder. It doesn't flare or compress anywhere near as well (or bend for that matter).

Also, my O/S front Brembo caliper has stripped a thread on 1 bleed nipple :(

Anyway, positives (if I can find some :( )...

Picked up a stud conversion kit from AB motorsport last week (Peugeot sport one). Longer studs (79mm) for the front so I can run spacers. Std 65mm studs for the rear.

22052009174.jpg

22052009181.jpg

Fitted my remote reservoirs and drop lines and bled the rear brakes (and the front until I realised the thread was gone on one bleed nipple)

Fitted my adjustable throttle pedal stop...

22052009178.jpg

22052009180.jpg

I also got the car on it's wheels for the first time in about 4 months as my Dad wants to get things out of the carport...

26052009182.jpg

26052009185.jpg

26052009183.jpg

26052009184.jpg

It's currently rubbing on the rear tyres a bit so I had to lift it while we pushed it! :lol:

I also think it's a little low at the back (it's about 10mm higher than the front but I think it's sat on the tyres a bit) so I'm going to have to raise it slightly.

Anyway I think it'll look good once the arches are rolled and the rear height is right :)

yorkshirekowboy

looks ace mate, i have a question for you, what make is your water pump?

Cloverleaf

I'm not sure mate. I think I got it from QEP, but I may have the receipt or box somewhere. May I ask why?!