• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cloverleaf

[trackday_prep] 309 Trackday Car

Cloverleaf

I thought it was about time I started a project thread so here goes…

Bought my 309 off ebay for £500 with 112k miles on the clock about 15 months ago, had a long MOT, and full history and came with 2 sets of alloys with good tyres. Only mod’s were an induction kit, exhaust and it’s lowered on some unknown springs. The only bad point is the o/s front wing and bonnet appear to have been painted in the Sahara desert! This textured finish didn’t bother me as the car was going to be a cheap track car.

Dscf0037.jpg

So as soon as I got it home I removed all of the interior.

Next I fitted some Cobra bucket seats I had and some Sparco harnesses, some Brembo max discs, mintex 1155 brake pads and super dot 4 fluid and gave it a full service: cambelt, water pump, plugs, leads etc.

I then took it to the French car show and took it around Rockingham for 30 minutes during which time it performed brilliantly.

Although the car was supposed to stay standard(ish) I purchased a 4-1 manifold from ebay and fitted that. I was then booked onto a track day at Donnington, however on the way there the head gasket went.

After a lot of thought a decided to go for an Mi16 engine and found one on ebay with most of the things needed for the conversion. I completed the conversion about August last year, including re-freshing the engine with new big ends, water pump, cambelt kit, valve stem seams. I used the Mi management and fitted a 205 oil cooler. I made my own baffle for the sump and remounted my seats on weld in rails. During the time it took to complete the conversion the beam seized on one side – more on this later.

09032008378.jpg

09032008376.jpg

03022008309.jpg

03022008306.jpg

03022008307.jpg

08062008459.jpg

19102008013.jpg

19102008003.jpg

19102008007.jpg

Cloverleaf

19102008009.jpg

I trailered the car to Donnington for a track day in August last year (with a seized rear beam). The car had only ever idled on my drive before then so I was expecting trouble. The first session I took fairly easy and was surprised at the difference in performance compared to the 1.9 8v. The only issues I had all day were an intermittent misfire, which I later tracked down to a dodgy connection on the ignition module just before the last session, and a split coolant hose which I cut the end off and re-fitted.

I was now beginning to see some real potential in the car so thought I better turn it into a proper track car. Hence, phase II began with the aim of fitting a cage, sorting the suspension and possibly upgrading the brakes.

So….I have brought a CL3 cage from custom cages and 15m of 38x1.6mm T45 tube. I am going to base the cage on the custom cages multipoint design linked to front and rear suspension with a few little changes. For the suspension I am going to do the rear first then the front later. After stripping my beam I realised the one trailing arm pin was scrap. After looking around for another 309 beam I realised they are very expensive and there is no guarantee they are serviceable due to the age so I thought I’d try something different and fit a 306 beam. So I got one off ebay from a 65k miles Gti-6.

I mocked it up under the 309 to see how much wider it is…

30012009028.jpg

It’s about 40mm or so and the only problem I can see (apart from possibly having to roll the arches) is the strengthening plate that runs along the car linking the cross rails – it’s just too narrow so will require cutting, more on this later…..

30012009029.jpg

I then stated stripping it…clean splines…

07022009038.jpg

07022009039.jpg

I plan to use the same mounting points in the car and fabricate some new beam mounts so I can swap back to 309 beam if I want to. The rear mount is simple but the front mount I plan to cut up part of the 306 mount and weld something to it….

07022009037.jpg

08022009050.jpg

Now I’ve planned the mounts its time to clean up…lick of paint on the cross tube and TB’s…

08022009047.jpg

08022009048.jpg

In the meantime, I stated on the rear beam mount. I had some top hats turned up…

08022009041.jpg

Edited by Cloverleaf

Cloverleaf

These will be welded into some T45…(note cut out in boot floor around rear beam mounts)

08022009042.jpg

And cut out a cage foot….

08022009044.jpg

I then started to grind out the rear strengthening plates…

08022009046.jpg

That’s it for now but there’s plenty to do…..

Joe

Craigo

looks good mate, keep it up!!

Baz

Good work, great to see another loved 309, very ambitious with the 306 beam there, will be interested to see how it comes out! :)

edbar

Agree with Baz! Great to see anouther 309 and intresting project with the rear beam! Keep it up. :)

welshpug

how much wider is it? do the bumpstops still line up?

allanallen
I mocked it up under the 309 to see how much wider it is…

30012009028.jpg

It’s about 40mm or so and the only problem I can see (apart from possibly having to roll the arches) is the strengthening plate that runs along the car linking the cross rails – it’s just too narrow so will require cutting, more on this later…..

Cloverleaf

Thanks guys. Yea it's about 40mm give or take a few mm (I measured it quickly). Not sure the bump stops will line up TBH.

I'm hoping to finish the beam mounts and get the rear cage mounts welded in this weekend so I'll see what else I need to do regarding the beam then. Then I'll take the 309 beam off and clean up the underside of the car.

Cloverleaf

Did a bit more today....

Sunroof removed:

14022009058.jpg

Rear cross members stitch welded:

14022009056.jpg

Used the ruined 309 cross tube as a jig and welded the rear cage mounts in (TIG in the inside, MIG in the outside):

14022009055.jpg

Cut the bump stop out (needs to be wider) and seam welded - was nasty under there so it's not pretty. Will tidy it up tho and build a new mount for the bump stop:

14022009057.jpg

That's it for now

edbar

Good progress, keep it up, will be fitting my cage soon aswell! :(

Cloverleaf

Another Sunday - a bit more work.

Half finished the rear beam mounts (no pics - too boring!). Will offer them up to the car then finish them.

Removed the pedal box/master cyl/servo. Going to make my own bias box. Also ground off the bulkhead strengthening bit so I can fit my servo strengthening plate on the inside...

22022009064.jpg

Drilled some holes (51mm) in my inner sill so I can slide my cage in to weld the top...

22022009063.jpg

Main roll hoop somewhere near where it will go (it will be tight to the roof obviously)...

22022009062.jpg

Took the wing off and ground a bit of the inner wing off so I can weld the strut top strengthening plate in (I think it's slightly different to a 205 here where the inner wing is curved around the strut top?!)...

22022009065.jpg

Also picked these up, they're much bigger than I thought! I'll offer them up and see if I can make them fit and still keep 15s!

22022009067.jpg

I also removed the heater matrix and fan and removed all the sound deadening from behind before refitting it.

More tomorrow....

Craigo

nice one mate, brakes look awesome, just grind off the GAY MG!!

Cloverleaf

Looking at it today, I think the brakes might be a no go! But I'm not giving up just yet...

Finished cleaning up the underside and etch primed it....

23022009070.jpg

Fitted the servo strengthening plate ready to be welded in....

23022009072.jpg

Also got both the strut top plates ready to weld, cleaned off the paint etc.

Next job is to fit the rear beam and then can start on the cage properly.

CosKev

Nice work :mellow:

Be a proper track beast :mellow:

Just one thing,does it run ok with the AFM like that??????Had mine tuned and was told the AFM should be as near as possible to flat,cause the weight of the flap comes into play and can cause probs :(

Cloverleaf

It seems to run fine although I'm going to move it as I plan to make an air box and relocate the battery. Never thought about it really. I suppose it would be more significant at idle but I don't let it idle on track much :(

Cloverleaf

The only thing about Custom Cages is I'm not very impressed with the cage feet that come with it. Coupled with the fact that I've got big holes in my sill now :lol: I made some better ones.

Custom cages on the left, mine on the right...

27022009073.jpg

And in place....

B pillar...

27022009074.jpg

A Pillar...

27022009075.jpg

Hope to start doing the cage on Sunday B)

edbar

Great stuff, coming along now. Im going to make my own foot plates for the cage aswell. Looking good so far.

Cloverleaf

Finally finished the rear beam mounts - I just really hope it's central and straight! I tacked them on the car and then removed them to finish them. Just need some paint now. I can alse build the beam back up now. I'm really excited to see how it sits...

01032009080.jpg

Welded the strut top plates and a quick bit of primer to stop them rusting...

01032009076.jpg

And the pedal box plate...

01032009077.jpg

01032009078.jpg

Also received my bias bar and dash adjuster from rally design.

Sandy

I've got a set of those MG calipers, you'll have fun making them fit,they are annoyingly close but no cigar.

Cloverleaf

I think you're right Sandy, i've scratched my head a lot and researched about every Peugeot disc but I don't think I can fit them. Not without machining them and even then I think I might need a 305mm disc. Might have to ebay them and go down the tried and tested V6 brembo route. Disappointing.

Sandy

Sadly I think that might be the best way.

BackStreetRacecars

loving the prgogress with this.... cant wait to see it.... makes me miss my 309 more and more.....

Cloverleaf

Had a day off today so started on the cage properly.

Tacked all the front (except the strut triangulation) and the rear brace bars, and one rear diagonal. Dropped it down and fully welded it. Got it back in the correct place ready to weld in. Will do that, the other rear diagonal, the harness bars and the door bars tomorrow on my other day off :blink:

16032009082.jpg