• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

mrfirepro

[Car_Restoration] My 1989 205 1.9 Gti Restoration Project

jackherer

That's good, I think 205s with grey plastics should have grey seats and 205s with black plastics should have black seats but Peugeot made some G plate cars with early plastics and late seats which look mismatched from the factory.

Tom Fenton

Peugeot made some G plate cars with early plastics and late seats which look mismatched from the factory.

Either there must have been quite a few of these cars, or I have just happened to acquire them, I've had three like this, early rear lights, grey dash and plastic, but red/black check seats.

jackherer

According to http://www.205gtidrivers.com/info/history.html the new seats were introduced in August 1989 and the lights and plastics in September 1990 so that's over a year and covers the entirety of the G registration! Paul's must have been registered late I guess?

I suspect they were running out of the earlier upholstery so they were forced to introduce the new style before they got the other changes ready. I think this also explains the limited editions with full leather that were made at around the same time.

mrfirepro

the production date on mine was Oct 16th 1989, with registration being 3rd Nov 1989.

Sort of nerdy I know but would be good to see if we could nail a date where they ran out of the old style seat :) .

I'll start...

Latest production date with old style seats 16th October 1989

Earliest production date with new style seats XX XXX 19XX

anyone wanna play....or is this a really dumb idea...(perhaps new thread)

sort of top trumps for 205 seats... :lol:

Edited by mrfirepro

jackherer

Somebody could have changed the seats in your car at some point over the years... I know of at least one or two examples of this happening because people thought they had the wrong seats fitted.

Does it have a BE1 or BE3 gearbox? And was the exhaust one or two piece? Both of these could be changed from original as well I suppose, particularly the exhaust.

Anthony

I'll double check the date of it later, but my early 1990/G is one of the changeover cars - early seats and wing mounted coil, but with the later BE3 gearbox.

I've never yet seen an original '89/G car with the later parts on, so I'm assuming that they had a fair number of older parts to use up after the claimed changeover date. From what I've seen based on cars I've owned etc, the actual changeover is Q1 1990 and certainly Q2 1990 cars I've owned have been the later so-called Phase 1.75 spec with late seats, inlet mounted coil and BE3 gearbox.

Edit: Checked the VIN and V5 and it comes up as build date of 7th November 1989 and registration date of 31st January 1990.

Edited by Anthony
Added build/registration dates

mrfirepro

mine - Oct 1989, early seats, early lights, Grey interior, wing coil and BE3.

so does that mean there hybrids as well perhaps late seats, wing coil, BE3 and early lights or were they all changed at the same stage.

I was always under the impression that the new seats were only installed in P2 cars with late lights and black interiors.

No wonder folk get confused that's nearly a year after the supposed changeover

welshpug

So being pre 90 you'll still have a clevis pin clutch pedal even with the BE3 box.

My G plater is April 89 build, standard 1.9 so grey trim half leather grey seats with the two tones of grey cloth, BE1 with lift up reverse, non remote Central locking and a sunroof, wing mounted coil, two brown plugs and the brown plug of doom in the engine bay.

mrfirepro

It's nearly a months since the last update so here goes.

Finishing the interior still eludes me, as I'm waiting for some NFP clips and still haven't been able to find a set of A pillar trims (plenty of broken ones.. :( )

Also when installing the rear pocket trims this happened...

P1060035_666x500.jpg

There are three fixings on that top section (have already removed the first one) also I had already replaced the top right hand fixing.

Managed to recover some fixings from a knackered trim and super glued them on (worked really well), as of today they are still holding. This is the other side where the middle LH fixing was replaced.

P1060032_666x500.jpg

The main success this month was that I have found a trimmer.... :) (thanks for your suggestion Kieran, they were helpful and a great price but couldn't start until the end of May)

I've stripped the seats down, so I could refurb the frames whilst the trimmer works on the seat.

As you can see they runners have seen better days

P1060040_666x500.jpg

The initial plan was to retain the central fabric piece and replace everything else, there was a lot of discussion about cleaning the fabric and the risks of shrinkage, so we decided to try a section with a cold handwash (with stain remover) several times until the water was clear and then a machine wash for delicates.

This was the second, hand wash.. (got a bit excited and forgot to take a before shot...Ooopps)

P1060053_666x500.jpg

After the first wash the water was like mud

This was before the machine wash

P1060055_666x500.jpg

And this was after

P1060076_666x500.jpg

All in all it came our pretty clean, but no amount of washing would get rid of the fading. So the next plan was to deconstruct another 2 full sets of seats and pick the best fabric from the three sets..

however I found this company online

http://www.ctai-sellerie-collection.com/?page=205%20gti

After a bit of a google translate and me talking very L O U D A N D S L O W... down the phone (why do we do that :lol: there not deaf, they just don't speak English) in some form of old english, I managed to order their Ramier fabric. (not arrived yet, but will update when I get it) so I don't have to deconstruct the sets of seats.

Next it was onto the foam, which looked like this

P1060093_666x500.jpg

P1060095_666x500.jpg

The backs were in quite good nick, with quite a lot of substance to the foam and bolsters.

P1060090_666x500.jpg

Originally I was just going to repair the bolsters which were not too bad, but they had lost quite a lot of there density when compared to the seat backs.

Decided to replace the bolsters and looked at the ones from 205gticovers, however I managed to get a set of complete bases for a smidgen more than the price of the bolsters alone, so was well chuffed with the find and a little worried as it was another French company.

I bought these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mousse-dassise-neuve-front-seat-205-GTI-CTI-XS-Griffe-Rallye-/151599228824?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_71&hash=item234c04a798

they arrived the very next day

P1060102_666x500.jpg

P1060101_666x500.jpg

P1060100_666x500.jpg

P1060099_666x500.jpg

The quality is excellent, the density of the foam is very high and it also includes (already inserted) all the various rods and Velcro.

However in hindsight the main reason I'd buy these again is there is no need to cut the bases around and glue the side bolsters onto the existing foam as they are exactly like the OE ones.

and finally on the seat bases, now I can compare the old and new side by side. The old central foam section has lost a lot of it's springyness (don't know if that's even a word) which just replacing the bolsters alone would not improve.

Also got a set (front and rear) OE rubber mudflaps..

P1060056_666x500.jpg

P1060058_666x500.jpg

when fitted

P1060069_666x500.jpg

I wasn't too sure to start with as there was a contrast between the grey of the trim and the black of the flaps, but when all 4 were done they actually looked quite good (I guess it won't be to everyone's taste)

Every since I had my wheels powder coated I've not been happy with the match, as it was more grey than silver, particularly noticeable when I installed the OE centre cap.

Really happy that they are now the same as the OE centre cap....

This is a sh1t photo as the new silver wheel is in the shadow and a good comparison can't be seen.

P1060078_666x500.jpg

P1060079_666x500.jpg

also got front rails powder coated

P1060074_666x500.jpg

P1060086_666x500.jpg

Hopefully the next update will see re-trimmed seats installed, MOT completed and hopefully back at the body shop to put right some of the restoration scars in the paintwork :o

Thanks for everyone's support and very kind words.

eddie bullit

Superb job! Its lovely to see 205s being restored to such high standards. Well done its a credit to you!

Kane

Excellent find on those seat bases Paul. I assume that ebay link price Is for a single unit and not the pair? Looking great as ever keep up the good work!

acox99

Looking fantastic. I'm glad you found a descent trimmer and those wheels look great re-done.

jackherer

(thanks for your suggestion Kieran, they were helpful and a great price but couldn't start until the end of May)

I'm not surprised they had a long waiting list but I am surprised their price was good, maybe they should charge a bit more and employ more staff :lol:

Those seat bases are a good find, I know what you mean about the middle bit losing its springiness, a lot of 205 seats don't seem to have any 'give' when you sit in them these days. Why do the originals have those holes in the middle? I've seen imprints of them before in full leather seats and wondered what was causing it.

mrfirepro

That company also do the back bolsters...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mousse-de-dossier-neuves-front-seat-205-GTI-CTI-XS-Griffe-Rallye-/151593260176?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_71&hash=item234ba99490

Fortunately mine were in great condition.

Kane, correct that price is for 1 seat base, they supplied 2 for £200 including shipping.

Edited by mrfirepro

johnboy1984

Loving these build threads... great inspiration for mine when I come to do mine... great work mate

mrfirepro

There is a certain irony about taking 3 months to find a trimmer and when I eventually find one, I then hold him up for nearly three weeks. I gave him all the spiel about quality and time, he must think I'm some kind of banker....

Anyway after nearly three weeks and some 15 emails the fabric finally arrived and I'm really please with how close to OE it actually is and I wasn't expecting it to come with the foam backer attached.

Here are some pics for you to judge for yourself.

Firstly a comparison between old (now faded) and new

P1060172_666x500.jpg

close up of light grey

P1060170_666x500.jpg

Close up of dark grey

P1060171_666x500.jpg

My only issue (as you can see) is that the red line is thinner in the new fabric. The actual pitch of the threads looks very very close.

This is what you get for your money

P1060175_666x500.jpg

and this is the backing

P1060179_375x500.jpg

All in all I'm very pleased just hope the trimmers can do the new cloth justice.

Also refurbished the seat bases (not fully assembled here)

P1060149_666x500.jpg

and runners (right PITA)

P1060153_666x500.jpg

off to the trimmers tomorrow and should pick up the newly shod steering wheel

more to follow soon I hope... :D

• Like 1

lightflow

Fabulour work Paul. Getting close now - I'd love to see how your steering wheel comes out. I want to get mine done...

Darrens205GTI

Superb thread Paul,

Really looking forward to seeing how your seat's come out as I have been looking round for some time for a trimmer to do mine. Also now thinking that I will buy a pair of foam bases. The cost just keeps climbing LOL

Cheers,

Darren

mrfirepro

Darren,

Thanks for your comments. The trimmer is in Welling, Kent. I've got the steering wheel back and am pleased with his work, but I'm a little worried about the colour of the leather I've selected... :unsure:

It matched the existing leather colour but I forgot about trying to match the steering wheel and leather, so the colour is ever so slightly different to the grey of the trim..... I plan to live with it for a while and see what it looks like when the whole car is finished. I have compared the old leather of the seats and steering wheel and they are a little different, not sure if that is original or age related.

as soon as it's all done I'll post some pics,

Darrens205GTI

If it is Allen and Povey I have used them before and they done a really good job. Looking forward to seeing the end result

mrfirepro

It's been a momentous month receiving the interior back and passing the MOT...

all the photos for the last month are here http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/mrfirepro/slideshow/205%20projects/12%20apr%2015

the first part back from the trimmers was the steeringwheel, however the trimmer had used a Nappa leather instead of the same leather we had chosen for the seats, as the seat leather was too thick.

Here are some photos of the steering wheel.

P1060180_666x500.jpg

and in the car

P1060193_666x500.jpg

I'm also not sure how I feel about the stitching being very different to OE...

P1060182_666x500.jpg

The colour of the leather looks very different because of the camera flash, in reality it is a lot closer looking in the flesh.

The next job was to treat the rust on the seat frames, there wasn't that much and what was there was surface rust, used hydrate 80 to kill the rust and then resprayed.

P1060196_666x500.jpg

It was then off to the trimmers to drop off the frames and pick up the rear seat.

Here are the rear seats, with sand blasted and painted brackets

P1060199_666x500.jpg

P1060201_666x500.jpg

I am really pleased with the ramier fabric.

IMPORTANT NOTE : The supplier of the fabric supplies 4 equal lengths of fabric. Each length must do the upright or base of the front seat and the upright or base for the rear seat. It is was toooooo close to get a complete front seat from one length. The supplier did not tell us this. We were with in 1-2mm of not having enough.

Whilst waiting for the rest of the interior I assembled the refurbished seat runners

P1060205_666x500.jpg

P1060229_666x500.jpg

A week later the rest of the interior was ready for collection.....

Here are some photos of the seats before they were fitted into the car.

P1060206_666x500.jpg

P1060209_666x500.jpg

P1060240_666x500.jpg

P1060211_666x500.jpg

P1060225_666x500.jpg

installed on base

P1060232_666x500.jpg

P1060250_666x500.jpg

rear panel

P1060213_666x500.jpg

Now back to the car...

Fitted these

P1060291_666x500.jpg

P1060294_666x500.jpg

P1060298_666x500.jpg

New rear water bottle

P1060300_666x500.jpg

and thanks to information provided by Jackherer I was able to make the correct arrangement for the right hand binnacle fixing.

P1060304_666x500.jpg

P1060307_666x500.jpg

P1060309_666x500.jpg

Hope I've got it right now... :D

So for the last three weekends I had planned to take my car to a local garage (where the owner is an enthusiast :) ) but on every occastion it was raining, so got up Saturday morning to bright sunshine..any way as you've probably guessed, the minute my car is out the garage it starts Pissing down....so at least I know my car doesn't have any leaks.

Got the car to the garage for the following works

MOT

Tuning and timing

Wheel alightment/tracking

Oil Change

Check torque setting on all crucial bolts

Change to new silver wheels instead of the grey ones (tyes on/off balance etc etc..)

and finally asked if he saw anything that needed attention or wasn't quite right feel free to let me know .... :o didn't expect 2 sides of A4 (in small print), but I did ask....

So started off with tuning, this made a massive difference as the car now idles and runs smoothly.....

P1060316_666x500.jpg

but this did leave me with a couple of really stupid questions, well at least one particularly stupid question, which only occurred to me on the way back

1. The timing details from Haynes states 5 degrees BTDC......please don't laugh.......but the timing mark has TDC and BTDC, so I assume the 5 degrees is from the top dead centre mark, so whats the relevance of the BTDC mark or is this at 5 degrees....no name calling please... :lol:

2. The strobe (Snap on Device) were were using generated an RPM reading from a sensor on the HT lead, this showed a quite smooth 700RPM when the rev counter in the car was showing 1100-1200, is this normal? is there anything that can be done about it?

Anyway back to the MOT which was passed with flying colours.....he was even complimentary on the way I had set the lights up....

another pick of the engine bay as I've not posted a picture for a few threads...

P1060320_666x500.jpg

This also caused a question from the MOT tester with regards to the apparent lack of fixing in the front left fixing of the slam panel, my immediate response was that there was no fixing there to start with, I would be interested to know if there should be a fixing in the apparent spare hole...?

proud MOT tester, the smile says it all... or perhaps he was fed up with me after 5 hours of my interfering.

P1060321_666x500.jpg

the numbers mean nothing to me, but this seemed to be the lowest CO

P1060325_666x500.jpg

We also changed the oil & filter as I'de done a whopping 50 miles, I was surprised to see the oil was quite dirty and there were filings on the magnetic sump plug.

Never got around to changing the wheels/tyres, so will have to wait until the weekend after next, when I can also fit the new BBM fuel lines.

Was really pleased with the way the car ran on the way back home.

Gave the car it's first clean on the sunday..

P1060342_666x500.jpg

P1060343_666x500.jpg

P1060346_666x500.jpg

P1060344_666x500.jpg

I have not posted any interior pictures as I'm still waiting for some clips for the NS quarter trim to finish the inside off.

Next it's back to the body shop to have some restoration marks sorted out..

Finally I hope to produce a series of before and after picture to end this epic adventure on.

thanks for reading....

• Like 1

dobboy

Amazing.... You deserve a medal for your efforts.

Well done!

Mac Crash

Ah! ... let me go look in the bin for mine...