• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Saveit

Location Of Brown Plugs?!

Saveit

Hi

Those brown plugs (mi16 conversion) is driving me crazy! I cant find them anywhere in my 205 gti. I even looked in another 205 gti which i use for parts, but i cant find them anywhere. I was sooo close to rip it all apart! Could you guys please...please...please tell me where you have found yours. I would like several to post where they have found theirs so i have some different places to look. It is the only thing i need to put the 2 looms together.

Thank you

Anthony

On '88 onwards RHD cars they're in the drivers footwell to the left of the clutch pedal, sort of against the side of the heaterbox/matrix.

I imagine that on LHD cars they're in the same place, but the passenger side footwell.

Goliath

They are under the dash on the drivers side (on right hand drive cars) near the pedals. Ph2 cars have 2 brown plugs, ph only have 1.

Saveit

I didnt see any wires at all in the passengersite? Yes a few going to the ECU and so on. Didnt see any brown plugs or anything? BTW mine is a left hand drive. Is the plugs located at the some spot on both PH1 and PH2? And how do i check if its PH1 or PH2? Year?

welshpug

follow the wiring loom from the engine through the bulkhead, within 4-6 inches of there inside under the dash should be the 1 or 2 brown plugs.

Saveit

4-6 inches from the hole in the "wall" between the engine compartment and the pedals?

welshpug

yes, but on the right hand side not far from the ECU

Saveit

Are you sure its on the right hand side when its a left hand driven car? The ECU is on the right hand side though. But in this guide to wiring the the 205 and the mi16 it is told that the brown multiplugs is tugged well up between the steeringwheel and the heater?

Edited by Saveit

welshpug

I believe so, your fuse box is under the steering wheel is it not? simply follow the loom and you should find them

Saveit

Yes my fusebox is under the steering wheel. I am worried that the plugs are behind the heater then. Because i followed the wires from the ECU, and they went behind the heater and came out from the other site. I didnt manage to find any plugs on either site of the heater on those wires, so i would think that the plugs is behind the heater. Now the heater doesnt seem that easy to pull out, and i cant get my hand in behind the heater unfortunately.

welshpug

yes they are very near to the heater.

pug_ham

What year 205 is this for because not all 205's have them (as pointed out by Anthony, they were only started to be fitted in around 1988).

Graham.

Saveit

I guess its a quite old one? I actually dont know since its used for racing. Never got any papers with it. It is running on jetronic though.

But the ones which doesnt have these plugs must have something else? Is it just one plug then? Is this in the same position as described by welshpug?

welshpug

I've worked on a VERY early P1.5 registered in 87 and that had a single 6 pin plug, not sure what the earlier ones looked like

pug_ham

All 205 GTi's run jetronic, whats the ecu number because they are different between the 105bhp 180A engine & 115bhp B6D engines.

Graham.

Saveit

Ill check the ECU number tomorrow.

But lets say my car doesnt have the 2 plugs. What should i look for then? 1 plug? Or something completely else?

pug_ham

I've only ever worked on one phase 1 1.9 GTi & that was to strip it after my mate rolled it but I seem to remember there was just one brown plug as mentioned by WP above because all the sensor & starter wires come through the bulkhead with the other wiring on the l/h side of the bulkhead.

m@tt might be able to confirm this, his car was a ohase 1 iirc before he rebuilt it. I'll point him in this direction later of I can.

Graham.

Saveit

Okay sounds good. BTW you guys are a great help. Would never have dared to do this conversion without this forum. Thank you.

But if it only has a 1 6-pin plug, then how do i connect it? I cant use the guide i found since it describes how to join the looms by the regular 2 plugs.

Edited by Saveit

pug_ham

All the wires you need to find should be in that one brown plug.

Leave the sensor & starter wires etc as they are now in the 205.

Graham.

Saveit

OKay. I must say i am a bit confused :S But ill try to figure it out. If i can...

M@tt

my E reg (88) ph1.5 205 didn't have the 2 brown multiplugs under the dash nor ontop of the gear box. Half the wires came through the bulkhead where the normal loom does and the rest came through the fuseboard side of the car iirc.once you pull the engine out and see what you have left its obvious whats what

Saveit

Ohh no. Nothing about wiring is obvious to me. Especially not regarding cars.

Saveit

Just thought of something. Could the brown multiplug possibly be placed in the shunt box? Cause a brown multiplug of around 6 pins was connected in the shunt box before i pulled the other engine out.

M@tt

the shunt box is a small black thing (not really a box to contain things in) with no room for any other connectors it literally has a few slots onthe bottom of it for the 2 pin power connectors to push into.

As mentioned above it is quite possible that you don't have the brown connectors on your car. mine didn't

take some photos of what you've got as a picture paints a thousand words

Saveit

Yeah i will be taking some pictures as soon as i get home from work. I am really confused.