• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mad Scientist

Best Place To Get Omp Bolt In Cage

Mad Scientist

Anyone bought one recently?

I'm trying to find the best price on these, and there is nothing recent coming up in a search.

The best price I can find so far is Demon Tweeks..........which cant be right!! They are doing them for £333 + vodka and tonic.

Its the AB 105p/126 I am after.

Cheers,

Pete

welshpug

try YB Racing, they are the importers, or KAM racing.

you can get a discount off them if you're a 106 Rallye Register Member but I'm unsure if they do discount for any other clubs like PSOOC.

Mad Scientist

Will try them now. Thanks.

Pete

Peetypug

see if its any cheaper if you buy 2 :)

BusEngineer

Or 3 :)

Baz

Go to an exhaust fitting place and raid their scrap bin/off cuts and make your own, it'll be just as good!! :P:)

Mad Scientist

I'll give that a miss Baz if you don't mind! Is there any real reason why people don't like these OMP cages? They are made in CDS tubing to MSA/FIA regs, with a certificate, so whats the issue? Its the same material as a SD cage, but the mounting points, IMO, are in much stronger locations. The SD cages front legs mount to the floor pan, which is going to give in a bad roll. The OMP front feet mount to the sills, which is much stronger. The rear feet pickup the rear beam mounts, again much stronger.

Plus they are half the price!

If you guys are serious, I KNOW ill get a good discount on 3! Its my job to haggle!

Rich_p

67264514 is a 10% discount code for yb Racing's website if that's any help?

BusEngineer

Obviously its going to depend on price but keep me posted because id definately be interested

Peetypug
Obviously its going to depend on price but keep me posted because id definately be interested

same here pedro, come out side in a min and we can discuss it further :)

Baz

OMP's are majorly inferior! You only have to look at them, their fitting etc, they're cheaper for a reason, poxy M6 bolts joining them together are more like a hinge IMO. and Look at rolled 205's, OMP cages fare much worse then SD's, and those points you make are untrue from about 1995onwards, SD cages are far superior.

KevG on this forum will probably do you a better price with better service than YBRacing if you really want an OMP. Better than nothing i guess.

Edited by Baz

Mad Scientist

Well, i'm not trying to cause an argument here. If there are issues I want to know about them, preferably before I roll down a bank at 60 clicks!

M6 bolts? Presumably these are on the bracket joining the top tubes front to back. I would deffinately change these to at least M8's if thats the case.

Do you run a SD cage? If so do you have any pictures of the feet picl up points? Also, do you have any pictures of rolled cars?

Thanks for your help.

Pete

Baz

Neither do i. Yes i do run SD cages, and have fairly vast experience in and around motorsport. I have my reasons and can back them all up, see my posts in previous topics about cages etc, i for one am just not a fan of the OMP cages, M6 was an exaggeration maybe, but never the less they leave alot to be desired, they come unpainted, covered in surface rust as they no doubt sit around for a long time, there has also been alo said about the quality of the welding that goes into their kit.

There a few good topics around if you do a search.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...95&hl=*cage

welshpug

I haven't anywhere as much experience as Baz, but I have to say the same thing, SD cages in general are better than the OMP ones.

Rich_p

What about Sparco cages? They seem a similar design to OMP, well they mount at the same points anyway. Are the welds better quality?

Mad Scientist

Not sure that heresay about welding penetration is really fair. If you have seen an OMP cage fail as a result of a roll, in an area that it should not (i.e sheared welds) then fair enough. However a multi-national company cannot sell unsafe products with FIA compliance. They would simply be out of business.

If anyone really wants to know the "truth" I will have a friend xray the welds when it comes...........just ordered one.

I also do not think the fact that the SD cages come powder coated means that the steel thay use is in any different condition when its assembled. The fact of the matter is they are both 40/50mm OD cold drawn seamless steel with 2mm walls.

Again, i'm accepting structured comments here but i'm afraid that unless you have seen one fail to do its job then its not a valid argument. Just "not liking" OMP products is not evidence i'm afraid.

Does anyone have any pictures of rolled cars with cages?

P

Rich_p
just ordered one.

Did the discount code work?

projectpug

Omp arn't that bad at the end of the day it will only we as good as the person who fitted it. If the plates are welded in properly then i cant see the OMP being that bad but again only as good as who welded it in. If your worried about the bolts holding the cage to the plates why not just add a few extra spot welds on the feet of the cage to the mounts. They are also easily ground out if you need to remove it later why??.

Kev-G

You didn't wait long....How much did you end-up paying?

Mad Scientist

Rich, sent you a message.

Going to assess the cage when it comes but all welding will be done by a proffesional certified welder. May even weld the front to the back in lieu of bolts.

Kev, couldn't hang about, got offered a really good deal.

Pete

Baz
Going to assess the cage when it comes but all welding will be done by a proffesional certified welder. May even weld the front to the back in lieu of bolts.

Then you'll lose the MSA certification technically.

Mad Scientist

Thats something I was wondering about to be honest. Trawling through the Blue book, it matched the suggested drawings. Oh well, high tensile bolts it is!

Kev-G
Kev, couldn't hang about, got offered a really good deal.

How much and from where? Retail or private sale?

Mad Scientist

I'll tell you everything when it turns up! Retail sale though.

:rolleyes:

Baz
They are made in CDS tubing to MSA/FIA regs, with a certificate, so whats the issue? Its the same material as a SD cage, but the mounting points, IMO, are in much stronger locations. The SD cages front legs mount to the floor pan, which is going to give in a bad roll. The OMP front feet mount to the sills, which is much stronger. The rear feet pickup the rear beam mounts, again much stronger.

Just stumbled across these in my PB, SD C44;

Image134-1.jpg

Image138-1.jpg