• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
j_turnell

Cheap 205 24mm Arb Upgrade...

j_turnell

After reading a recent post and comments by Francesco it seems that 106/saxo rear ARBs are a straight swap and are 24mm. I went down my local scrappy and whipped one out of a saxo vtr.

It indeed was 24mm and looked very similar length to the 205 one. When compared with a spare i had its only a few mm shorter so will fit fine. The only difference is the end plates are shorter so the original holes that hold the brake pipe bracket, cant be used. Easy fix though, quick drill and tap and can relocate them. Unfortunetly ive not got time to sort this, so its not been tested as of yet, but it appears a very cheap and worth while upgrade, only cost me a fiver lol which is a big saving on aftermarket ARBs.

cheers, James

Edited by j_turnell

bren_1.3

just for a bit more information here....

106 rallye series 1 rear ARB is a 22mm item.

106 rallye series 2 and saxo VTS rear ARB's are 24mm.

not sure on the size of saxo VTR / 106 XSi rear ARB's.

have hoarded a couple of these myself with the same intention...

EDIT: hadn't looked at this for a while but i was pretty sure that the 106/saxo ARB end plate was a larger diameter and wouldnt sit inside the trailing arm properly. nothing a die grinder couldnt sort out. its taken a back seat as i sort other parts of the car out but there is definately scope for this to work on a 205 beam. i dont think it would work on a 309 beam though with the extra width.

i wasnt going to drill and tap the arms though i was going to use two rose joints, one male and one female screwed together to make up the end plate difference back to the original mounting point.

Edited by bren_1.3

cybernck

handy info :huh:.

what about 106/Saxo torsion bars then?

johnnyboy666

wasnt there a mention of some type of 306 end plate being a closer match??

welshpug

My brother is collecting a Saxo VTS today, we are planning on taking the rear beam apart to practice on, so I can measure up and try various bits while its apart.

He could even post the outcome himself if he could read the forum rules and get validated :huh:

Edited by welshpug

bren_1.3
handy info .

standard 19mm items im afraid!

pug_ham
The only difference is the end plates are shorter so the original holes that hold the brake pipe bracket, cant be used.
wasnt there a mention of some type of 306 end plate being a closer match??

My question exactly, I've got a feeling the arb splines are the same size as those on the 306 arb so just swapping them over will mean you don't need to do any drilling or tapping.

standard 19mm items im afraid!

This is also what I understand as well, iirc confirmed by checking through service box for the 106 GTi tb sizes.

Graham.

j_turnell

Interesting must have missed that, will keep an eye out for some 306 end plates then, makes life easier.

arnold naber

Hi,

yep true i have a 24mm from a 106 in my 205 rear beam..

you need the 306 base plates.. i have welded them on one side just to be sure because the 106 arb is 1mm to short...

johnnyboy666

will any 306 plates work? im assuming all 306 ones are the same?

pug_ham
you need the 306 base plates.. i have welded them on one side just to be sure because the 106 arb is 1mm to short...

If the splines are the right size then you could just use an M8 bolt to hold them on rather than welding things solid imo.

Jonny, I think all 306's have the same sized arb end plate splines so any should be ok. They are different sizes left to right btw.

Graham.

welshpug

I'm not sure even that is needed as they are an interference fit and don't bottom out I believe (the Right hand plate, the left hand seats right up into the end plate), as you have to set the clearance to the arm with them, you can set the clearance too tight by just bolting the end plate on.

Ajr

There appears to be some incorrect info in this thread so far.

Just to make things clear:

106 XSi(1.4) & AX GTi = 19mm

Saxo VTR/S = 22mm usually, some later models have 19mm(probably ran out of 22s so picked up the nearest thing, typical french)

106 rallye S1 = 22mm

106 rallye S2 = 24mm

106 GTi = 24mm

106 quicksilver & saxo furio etc = 19mm

Base models = Vary between no ARB and 19mm

Alastairh

Saxo VTR/S = 22mm usually, some later models have 19mm(probably ran out of 22s so picked up the nearest thing, typical french)

Are you sure? James has proved he has a 24mm coming from a VTR/VTS...

Ajr

Yup, perhaps that was fitted aftermarket? It's a popular upgrade. But i've refurbished about 5 saxo and 106 beams, lowered close to 20 and been working on them for 7 years now. If you check the parts computers and part numbers they are different parts. I have measured all VTR & VTS standard rear ARBs as 22mm using a digital vernier caliper although some people have reported that late(2002-2003) models sometimes come with 19mm ARBs. Peugeot sport used to sell a 25mm jobbie, but they've stopped doing them now. The rear anti roll bar coupled with different damping rates and different front spring rates are the reason that magazines reviewed the cars(VTS vs 106 gti) as handling differently. If the suspension was the same they would have driven identically, with the rest of the car being mechanically identical more or less.

Edited by Ajr

pug_ham

106 XSi(1.4) & AX GTi = 19mm

106 rallye S1 = 22mm

106 rallye S2 = 24mm

106 GTi = 24mm

106 quicksilver & saxo furio etc = 19mm

Base models = Vary between no ARB and 19mm

Whats incorrect?

We are only discussing the 106 GTi rear arb which according to your list above is 24mm like james said, we are well aware that base model & earlier phased 106, AX & Saxo have different sizes again.

The phase 1 106 & AX bars won't fit the 205 beam as they are narrower still afaik.

The only mention of the saxo is for the torsion bars which on the VTR/S are usually 19mm.

Graham.

Ajr

I read talk of some saxos using 24mm ARB, as AlistairH states, and the first post in this topic states, then the 2nd post also states saxo vts has 24mm, just saving you guys some hassle searching for 24mm bars on the wrong cars.

All of the ARBs & torsion bars are the same length on M12 beam equipped cars, mostly 1991 or newer, older M10 beams i don't deal with. The width in track is denoted by the trailing arms(disc vs drum). And they use bearings inside the arms rather than inside the beam.

bren_1.3

my mistake here pugtorque. i assumed the saxo VTS ARB would be 24mm, as both the 106 gti and saxo VTS are disc braked rear axles, and i thought were identical.

pug_ham

I checked on Citroen service box earlier & Alex is right, the VTR & VTS are listed as having 22mm arb's fitted.

I'm sure a mate mentioned that the rear ARB on his old Saxo VTR was 24mm when they lowered the rear beam & fitted uprated shocks etc & he bought it from new like that. :)

Graham.

Ajr

Well anything is possible i guess!

Worth editing the info in the first posts of this thread so it's all correct for when this comes up in a search in future?

welshpug

these are cheap enough too!

205freak

any new´s on this, it really seems a nice upgrade for little money!!!

mmt

Is there any cheap way to gat the 24mm arb on a 309 gti beam?

Cheers

/Martin

taylorspug

306 GTI6 one chopped down and welded or resplined. :blush:

welshpug

Just thought I'd add my findings from trying to fit one of these 22mm ARB's

Hi,

yep true i have a 24mm from a 106 in my 205 rear beam..

not sure what you measured but they are 13mm shorter!, or at least the one I have here is !!

I have put an XU7 headbolt spacer in the nearside end plate to space the ARB out a little as this side is fitted fully flush, that still means 9mm less splines engaged on the Right hand side, is that too much? :lol:

You do indeed need 306 end plates, they fit nicely, the yellow neoprene seal is the same, but the black rubber bush is much thinner, part number 5179 10 though, so easy to get.

Edited by welshpug