• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dobins

Gearbox Lsd Whats Available

Guest Dobins

Hi all as you may know im trying to build a track is it worth fitting a lsd to a 1.9 gti for track use, so the question is whats the best and where to get it

cheers

boombang

I would always recommend fitting one. If you use it on the road and just want a simple fit and forget solution, I'd go for a Quaife ATB. These seem to have gone out of fashion on this forum of late, but that's the way it is on here (ally vs cast blocks, 205 vs 309 beams, ATB vs plate diff etc etc)

Guest Dobins

fit and forget suits me wheres the best place to get them

Tom Fenton

Direct from Quaife is as good as anywhere.

projectpug

Another vote for Quaife :)

boombang

Unfortunately they have gone up in price a fair bit of late. I recall the group buy Mankee sorted out, think we paid about £420 each a couple of years back. Think new price is in region of £600 and you will really struggle to get them cheaper. Buying 10 used to get a discount, but IIRC someone said it's 30 units to get any discount now.

Might be able to get a decent price on a used one though. According to Quaife there is nothing to service on them and never heard of any issues with them wearing out.

Miles

Must go against the flow, In competition the Plate Diff's are the way to go, ATB are suited to road use only, the pplate Diff's last ages as well so the thought of having to take them out every 5 min's is a mith

philfingers

I'd support that, having just stripped mine after 10k (and 10-12 road rallies) there's very little wear.

I'll open a can of worms but would say you need PAS with a tranX, maybe for track use you'd get by without but a quaiffe is fine without. Though I have never driven a quaiffe without, only hearsay!

tony perks

If you want decent traction then fit a Tran-x diff, forget ATB they are pants, many moons ago i used to rally a fiesta we had a RS turbo viscous diff in it, ATB came out every one raved about them bought one fitted it did 1 longcross rally with it no-where near as good traction as the Rs one so out it came.

Needless to say every car Ive built since has had a tran-x, Mini, Asta, Nova, Saxo and now my 205.

Guest Dobins

so how much is a trans x then and where from, i always had the impression they had to be serviced etc to keep them going is this not the case ? Ive heard from alot of people they are better but thought the downside was servicing it. If its not the case i will prob go for one

edbar

Near enough everyone i have spoke to has recommended the quaife atb, fit and forget.

boombang

Don't forget the thread starter said it was for track days.

Is the car going to be used on the road much, and are track days the limit? If it's road car with the odd trackday, I would go with the Quiafe regardless of what anyone else says.

I've used Quaifes in my last 3 cars and wouldn't be without one. Most people I know who do tarmac rallying use them too. From a reliability point of view, they are ideal.

As said the Quaife isn't the best for outright traction, and is flawed in operation (in that if one wheel is completely without traction it gets the power - i.e. if off the floor or if a shaft has come out). However at the same time it's gentle on drivetrain, there is nothing to setup on it, and should never need any work on it.

One particular guy who runs a plate diff with quite an aggressive setup, has an issue with it spitting out driveshafts regularily. This in fact happened on the 1st corner of the second stage at Rockingham Stages a few years back. It meant an end to that day of the rally as they do not allow you to continue with any leaking fluids.

My friend who runs a budget 205 rallycar runs a Quaife, and I've not yet known him not to finish a rally. The aforementioned plate diff runner regularily doesn't finish.

Just to add that if I were running a gravel car I'd not get one, be pretty pointless. But I'm not and neither is the guy starting this thread.

Edited by boombang

whizzer71
so how much is a trans x then and where from, i always had the impression they had to be serviced etc to keep them going is this not the case ? Ive heard from alot of people they are better but thought the downside was servicing it. If its not the case i will prob go for one

Check with Miles,he was doing a group buy not so long ago,have to be quick though as I think he was trying to "tie it all up and bring it to a close"

Oh by the way big brake are a must,the amount of std set ups Ive trashed and so called "uprated" std sized discs from reputable manufacturers with good quality uprated pads that Ive killed in no time at all,Gti 6 Calipers with decent discs and pads are a good and low cost budget place to start,failing that and dependant on the amount of bucks you can stretch too there are plenty good set ups available on the market brembo girling etc.

As for the diff question my only experience here is of the quaife product and I cant endorse enough,although Ive never used my car for anything other than fast road use,my mate has done many track days as well as fast road use with his and again cant endorse the quaife product enough !

:wacko:

Edited by whizzer71

tony perks

I run my tran-x with 45/45 ramp angles and with the full pre load, i run hi spec 1900 and run it with standard 1.6 shafts, and I have never broken a shaft for the first 3 rallys i did i even had the original shafts in that came with the car i only changed them for Euro car part shafts as a reliability just in case measure, and now after 7 rallys they are still there, I also run 15" moulded slick rally tyres. I think the biggest killer for shafts is when you get tramping or constant breaking of traction and snatching of the tyres but i dont seem to suffer this I must have the suspension set up right?.

As for road use as well then I would go for the quaife as they are quiet in operation and not heavy on the stering, I did use mine for a few weeks on the road and the noise is quite bad at times when the plates chatter and the ramps grab it sounds like a completly knackered CV!! when up to temp. And for a long journey arms can get very tired.

philfingers

You running PAS Tony? My new car hasn't got PAS and it's real hardwork without. Saxo electric pump going in at the moment to solve the problem. I had the std PAS in my 309 and it was fine with TranX

ifcho

and what is the opinion on TranX vs. Kaaz,

al the jap car fans say pretty good words for the KAAZ units, but here I also see that the TranX are good ones as well. ...

205wrc

Personally I would go for a KAAZ diff. It's not as "snatchy" as the Tran-x and a much nicer feel to drive

projectpug

Im sure Kaaz are around £450 so fairly cheap too Graham Rally on here used one so im sure he could give opinions on the Kaaz.

tony perks

No pas, phil just grab it by the balls and wrestle it, itis hard work Ive also got a quick rack in it too so its really heavy after doing the twilight i really knew i'd done 200 miles!!

Miles

Nothing wrong with Kaaz, they are a good diff,

The reason I use Tran X is the service and they are made in the UK so not having to rely on the importer which I think deal's in Mazda MX5 parts

rescue dude

I've just fitted a Kaaz twin ramp plate diff to my 1.9 and am really pleased with it. Lot less money than a Quaife and you'll get much better aftermarket help.

taylorspug

Im also running my Tran-x with 45/45 and full preload, ive not got any PAS and tbh ive not really noticed the steering being much heavier. All i have to do now is make sure i hang on when i hit a road camber or white line on full chat, as it does tend to snatch somewhat. Ive still been too lazy to track the car up properly though so this issue could well dissappear.

Im also yet to see any problems with shafts on my setup, and im using 1900 shafts with 309 wishbones too. The diff does tend to plate chatter and clunk a bit though, especially when cold, which im not really bothered about, even for day to day use.

pug_ham

My current track day / road use Gti has a Quaife ATB diff fitted & its a good addition but I have a Kaaz diff for my next track car when I build it & I'm interested to see what the difference is between the two.

I run my Quaife without any assistance but I have got a PAS rack fitted for the slightly quicker rack. I don't find it heavy at any time so thats another thing I'll compare when I fit the Kaaz.

If they weren't now £500+ I'd fit one to all my GTi's, road or track use.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this