• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jtek

Xsara Vts Wiring

jtek

Hi all, I have spent the evening trawling the forums trying to get together some real information on the VTS looms, which are evidently slightly different to the GTI-6 setup. Wire numbers so far have been tracked from posts by a number of other members, so thank you platty, Dixon, nick9one1, welshpug for any info I have copied from your threads. I am a rookie at wiring so if anyone could fill any blanks or correct any wrong numbers I would be very grateful. First off here is what I have found on my loom, I believe it to be a normal VTS setup-

23 Pin Plug

140 - diagnostic socket

123 - fuel pump

141 - diagnostic socket

100 - starter

1200 - fuel pump

820 - immobiliser

cc4 - switched 12+

414 - oil level indicator

220 - reverse driving light

1072 - charging light

465 - speedometer

BB2- Feed?

401 - coolant temp dial

012 - C12 - switched 12+

821 - immobiliser

410 -oil pressure warning light

426 - tacho (will not work on a 205gti dial)

123 - fuel pump

c02j - switched 12+

822 - immobiliser

415 - oil level indicator

808 - aircon?

331- ?????

6 Pin plug

411 - oil temp sender

8081 - brown temp sender on stat housing (n/a)

8069- aircon?

8078- aircon?

8074- aircon?

10 Pin 205__________________________________________Xsara Wires

2A Tachy Relay______________________________________c02j - switched 12+

32A________________________________________________cc4 - switched 12+

Switched Live (Confused?)_____________________________c02j - switched 12+

30 Oil Temp Stop Light________________________________410 -oil pressure warning light

30A Oil Pressure Gauge________________________________414/415? - oil level indicator

30B Oil Temp Gauge__________________________________411 - oil temp sender

7A Alternator Warning Light____________________________1072 - charging light

47 Coolant Temp Switch_______________________________?????

47A Coolant Temp Gauge______________________________401 - coolant temp dial

52 Reverse Light Switch_______________________________220 - reverse driving light

53 Reverse Light Switch_______________________________220 - reverse driving light (split 220 wire?)

6 Pin 205___________________________________________Xsara Wires

76 Fuel Pump_______________________________________1200 Fuel Pump

112B Tacho Feed_____________________________________426 Tacho Feed

46B Starter Solenoid__________________________________100 Starter

Earth/ground________________________________________Car Body?

Xsara Loom

BB2- Feed?__________________________________________Slam Panel Fusebox

th_IMG_1681.png

Xsara Loom, lose the round plugs and use the 205 plugs

th_IMG_1683.png

th_IMG_1680.jpg

Is the small spade connector in this pic a ground or a feed?

Rookie Wiring Questions-

1. With the ECU being placed in the bay of the Xsara/306, the loom is setup that way, so whereabouts is most common to place the ECU in a 205?

2. Tidying up fresh wiring- Insulation tape? or does anybody have any recommendations of decent shrouding etc?

Hopefully people can add wisdom to this and make it a useful thread for future reference. Thanks everyone!

djinuk

i plan to use the gti6 battery box (to look factory, but also so i can put the ecu in the same place.

jtek

I have the battery box, but my original intention was to put the battery in the rear of the car, half of me says butcher the GTI6 battery box and still use the ECU compartment, the other half just says stick the ECU somewhere out of the way in the engine bay. Really need the engine in I think before I can do much

M@tt

i used the 306 battery box but i needed to butcher most of the bottom off it in order for it to sit comfortably on the existing battery/gearbox mount. You need to make sure you can still secure the battery down otherwise its an MOT fail

jtek

Yeah I will be hunting down a decent battery box I think, I don't fancy having a battery flying around the cabin in a shunt!

jackherer
You need to make sure you can still secure the battery down otherwise its an MOT fail

Its not an MOT fail but the police can prosecute you for it.

M@tt

ah my bad

i'm sure i was told somewhere along the line it was an MOT fail though. Seems daft not to be if the police can fine you for it :S

Edited by M@tt

VisaGTi16v

Likewise your speedo isnt tested during an mot but if the police ever found out you have to have it working within 2 weeks iirc. Mines not worked for over 5 years though as a speedo cable is far to heavy for competition use

jtek

Right, I am going to be going ahead with this tomorrow, just wanted to check a few things.

30A Oil pressure gauge, I am guessing I merely wire straight to the old spade connector with a new wire on the 205's pressure sender?

Routing of wiring, I am coming out of the original bulkhead hole, going along the bulkhead and to the ECU which will be fitted somehow to the gearbox mount turret. I may buy some heat resistant shrouding for this if I can find some, otherwise am I likely to see heat issues? any pictures of other setups would be great

And is it this positive terminal I want to send BB2 to?

Image265.jpg

Also as I am using the 205 start motor I am guessing there are a few connectors to be changed there?

Anything I have missed would be greatly appreciated and I will attempt to load up any useful pictures to this for anyone elses future reference. Thanks

jtek

Right, I have rediscovered my hatred of soldering this evening, but I have at least made some headway. After more trawling Of threads I have solved a few more issues, so I just have these following assumptions. Please Please could somebody just confirm these for me. Thanks

Ground M444 seems to be non-existent on my loom so am I okay just using the same ground that the ECU uses for the multiplug ground?

CC4, has been joined to 2A (fat wire to thin wire) C02J and C12 are idle?

BB2 goes to positive side of the alternator, or the respective connection on the fusebox?

nearly there....

Edited by jtek

pug_ham
Ground M444 seems to be non-existent on my loom so am I okay just using the same ground that the ECU uses for the multiplug ground?

CC4, has been joined to 2A (fat wire to thin wire) C02J and C12 are idle?

Where should M444 run from / too? I can't see it on my autodata but if you know where it runs from then you can pin out with a multimeter to check if you have an earth there.

I can't find C12 on my Autodata but C12B runs from the igntion switched live (same as CC4 & C02J) via a fuse to the instrument panel MIL lamp afaik.

C02J is the VSS ignition switched 12v that goes to pin 1 on the VSS plug so it'll need plumbing in somehow. IIRC on the MM8P loom I'm doing now I spliced the VSS feed into the same wire that runs to the double relay swiotched ignition 12v which is CC4.

BB2 goes to positive side of the alternator, or the respective connection on the fusebox?

If BB2 has a ring terminal on the end like it has on the GTi-6 loom I have then yes, it goes to the positive ring terminal on the alternator.

Graham.

jtek

Well to resurrect this one, thanks for your reply a while back Pugtorque, all heading in the right direction now! Today I cranked for the first time and whilst all of my dash lighting was working fine and the cranking strong, there were two issues-

-My reverse light came on on the final click of the ignition barrel.

-There was no voltage to the fuel pump.

I check the 1200 wire from the Xsara part of the loom and that was making 12v, but checking the plug to the pump and a number of other grounds to be sure, there was no voltage. As for the reverse light I checked that was plugged into the right thing and it was. Any Ideas? I will take another look tomorrow.

jimbean

dissconect the reverse light switch if it wired correctly it will put out the reverse lamp....

the fuel pump feed (1200) will come straight from the double relay if you have a long piece of wire... tap into the 1200 wire and put it straight to the fuel pump it will rule out any bad conection

have you fitted the impact swith? this is also the fuel pump feed...

Edited by jimbean

platty

I was going to ask if the inertia switch has been bridged.

Can I ask where this inertia switch is in the VTS engine bay? Is it on the driver's wing, covered with a red square of rubber?

platty

Yes it is. Make sure the switch is making, or remove it completely and join the cables together.

jtek

Hi all, had another look at this just now, on a double check the 1200 wire running from the double relay isn't making any voltage, which is clearly an issue. I have bridged the crash switch just for the sake of ruling that out. Will have to track down a pinout diagram from the ECU maybe, but it certainly seems to be working properly in most areas besides the fuel voltage?

jimbean
Hi all, had another look at this just now, on a double check the 1200 wire running from the double relay isn't making any voltage, which is clearly an issue. I have bridged the crash switch just for the sake of ruling that out. Will have to track down a pinout diagram from the ECU maybe, but it certainly seems to be working properly in most areas besides the fuel voltage?

if you have spark and injection pulse

put a feed to the fuel pump and it should run

it won`t matter if it don`t come from the relay as long as it has fuel pressure/spark and pulse it will be right

edit a thought...

check the wire numbers at the inertia plug this will show if 1200 is correct wire number

Edited by jimbean

pug_ham

The wire to the inertia switch doesn't come from the ecu, just from the double relay but if thats wired in correctly then it should have the voltage out, have you checked both pins of the IFS plug for voltage & again for continuity to the fuel pump (including the fuse)?

Graham.

jtek

Need to get a pin diagram still, i am sure i copied one from here but i can't remember where to? A friend of mine who is doing an MI conversion mentioned to me that the fuel pump voltage only pulses momentarily on the final click of the ignition unlike the old jetronics that seem to just run the pump? Secondly this inertia switch that people speak about, is it not the barrel shaped item that sits at the front of the passenger wing? If so that is all 205 parts and wouldn't have the 1200 number to it... On more testing this evening it turns out I don't have a spark either which i guess means I really am doing something wrong here... Need to check pin power to the ECU methinks.

platty

The inertia switch will have a red square of rubber over it. It is part of the GTI-6/VTS engine loom. Not the 205 loom. It lives on the offside inner wing of the donor car.

jimbean

has the ecu been unlocked? v

if you look at the top of the double relay it will have a diagram on it

you can check the powers by looking at the pin numbers/ inputs

pins 8/15/2/11 are 12v bat

pin 14/ ignition live

pin 5/ should be fuel pump feed

pin 1 from double relay looks to feed ecu at pin 35

these are a early gti6 diagram wires

another way to check if relay/ecu powering up

make sure you have the powers to the relay....remove bat positive .... disconect ecu

reconect bat ... switch ign on.... put a earth to pin 7 at ecu plug..... double relay should click first circuit....

second relay circuit is a earth to pin pin 52 on ecu plug

if you can hear the clicking it should be sending the feeds

Edited by jimbean

jtek

Is the inertia switch a part that is on a plug? I didn't get the engine from a donor vehicle so maybe I need to track one down, there are a few spare plugs on the loom but I believed most of them to be Aircon and diag stuff. And cheers Jimbean, I will check those pinouts when I get in from work tomorrow. The ECU should be unlocked.

platty

Chances are then, the switch was left on the vehicle, and just unplugged. You should find a fairly long cable coming out from the loom near the alternator, it'll be a plug with two wires to it.

pug_ham

AFAIK the fuel pump feed from the double relay is still permanent once the engine is running, ignition on. It might pulse momentarily initally to pressurise the system just like it occasionally does on Jetronic.

The intertia switch is usually a red topped switch but they aren't fitted in the 205, just on the donor Xsara loom.

ECU power is from the main battery connection terminal on the alternator for the GTi-6 loom.

Graham.