• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

306 Diesel Starting Problems

M@tt

i was asked today by my next door neighbour if i could have a look at their 306 turbo diesel which had started to struggle to start.

They'd bought some new glow plugs thinkign they might be knackerd so i swapped those over for them and i also found the seal on the intercooler to the inlet manifold wasn't sealing properly and was blowing alot of oil all over the engine so i sorted that and the car fired up instantly so i thought problem solved, however later that afternoon the car was refusing to start again.

i did a leakback check on the injectors and none of them were leaking so it wasn't that and then checked that the injectors were actually getting fuel which they were. I then noticed that there appeared to be quite alot of air in the fuel passing from the filter to the pump. I pumped the fuel primer bladder thing and bled the air out and the car started. I assumed that its the air in the system causing it not to start but i've been unable to find the source of the air getting into the fuel. However whilst running there was still air in the fuel that you could see passing from the filter to the pump but the car continued to run fine

theres a pipe into the fuel filter housing and thats not cracked and is secured tightly. The lid of the fuel filter housing is secured properly and thats pretty much it as far as i can tell in terms of possible sources for the air getting in unless it's just the pump aggitating the diesel as it pumps it and it's completely normal and i'm barking up the wrong tree

has anyone come across this before? and have any suggestions?

Tom Fenton

Leak off pipes are a common culprit, for what they cost (not much) its worth changing the lot to rule them out.

Mikey S

theres usually a one way valve in the pump bulb that fails, its quite common on the new renault dci's for failing. they will only start once the diesel has been pumped back to the filter. take it off and try blowing and sucking through it. it should only go one way.

Sign in to follow this