• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
KRISKARRERA

Sealing Tyre To Rim, What Do Garages Use?

KRISKARRERA

I was sold a few Mi16 wheels with tyres, but 2 of them have very fast "slow" punctures. (Inflate them to 30psi and they're zero psi next day).

So I covered then in water and I can see the problem - air bubbles escaping between the rim and the tyre walls.

Not sure if it would work or not but what do the garages use to get a good seal?

Fox

They use that paste stuff, although I'd imagine your problem is down to corrosion of the alloy. You'll need to take the tyres off and give them a good clean up, or Ideally a refurb

All Praise The GTI

its tyre soap. the tyres will have to come off alloys be wire brushed,tyres soaped up and back on.

yeah i got city in guilds for that but hear be swaer when i fitt them lol

KRISKARRERA

Hmm so I might just as well take them to be resealed at some dodgy back street tyre fitter that one might go to after buying tyres online?

Tom Fenton

Any tyre fitting bay will be able to help. It isn't tyre soap they use, it is a special sealant goo, or at least where I go they have special goo.

Miles

Superglue, always a winner that one

B);):D

Edited by Miles

welshpug

usually, Nothing! all the soap does is aid the fitting of the tyre, usually any problems are cured by a quick buzz round the rim with a wire brush, but in worst cases they do use a special black goo as Tom mentioned, the name of it escapes me! B)

Rom

Bead sealer is what ive always called it.

You can probably only buy it from suppliers who do all the consumables for tyres, weights, valves etc. Any tyre fitting place should have it.

Clean up the rim as said, get all the flaky s*it off. Then give a good coating with the bead sealer.

bensonmi

the soap is just for slipping them on, the orange bead sealer doesnt last long best bet is to get them to wire braush all the crap off then get em to use the black stuff it works a treat! best bet is to watch em do it cos if your not there they might not do it properly, i used to work in ats and a lot of the boys cant be arsed!

Rippthrough

Best way is to get the seat clean and let the tyre seal itself like it's supposed to :mellow:

Mikey S

get down to an independant tyre fitter and get the rims cleaned up proper. ats etc boys rarely do a good job on them.

RonnieG

I've found bead sealers a bit of a hit or a miss depending on just how bad the corrosion is and just how bothered the tyre fitter is to put it on right….

With leaking alloy rims now I just take the hit of 2 trips to the tyre fitters - 1st time I just get them to take the tyre off and then I just take the wheel back home, wire wheel/brush away the flaking paint/corrosion, give the internal bead a couple of coats of silver paint and then take the wheel back to the fitters to put the tyre back on.

As it saves the fitter the hassle of cleaning the rim I agree this route with them on the first visit so it doesen't cost any more and using this method has never failed to seal any of my tyres.

mr_exe

I've seen a tyre that was siliconed with bathroom sealant to rim to stop it leaking!

large
I've seen a tyre that was siliconed with bathroom sealant to rim to stop it leaking!

Mmmmm, white wall. I like it.

DM88PUG
get down to an independant tyre fitter and get the rims cleaned up proper. ats etc boys rarely do a good job on them.

Ats employie here pal

And "rima tip top" look them up thats where we get out bead sealer from...just remember to give the rim a good going over with a wire brush

KRISKARRERA

Thanks for all your replies. I shall take them to a garage because even with no air pressure the tyres are too stiff to move away from the rim to clean up.

Mikey S
Ats employie here pal

And "rima tip top" look them up thats where we get out bead sealer from...just remember to give the rim a good going over with a wire brush

only going from my own past experiences chap, i didnt mean to offend anyone. :(

Sign in to follow this