• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Goliath

[misc_work] The £100 Sorrento Bargain

pip470

I think the key to making money from this project is to spend as little as posible. The car is what it is and although you trust the mate to spray it, alot of problems could occur such as a different shade as sorrento is a difficult colour or the other end of the scale its too good and fresh and lets the rest of the car down.

I would personally just give it a good polish up and get the paint you have into a reasonable condition. Its amazing how a good shine tricks the eye into thinking its a clean car. Save the money from the respray and buy an avtar then.lol

Best of luck mate!!

Goliath

Bit of an update....

I have spent far more time then I should have had to on this car as I have had some of the worst luck ever.... The 1.6 that I put in was running fine in the car I took it out of but as soon as I put it in this sorrento the block cracked all the way along the back :o Never seen such a big crack!

So anyway that 1.6 was whipped out, to save me buying another engine I decided to build up the 1.9 I had doing nothing in the shed, so new waterpump, cambelt, HG etc and then built it all back up and put it in the sorrento :D Job done, or so I thought...... I took the car for a little test drive to check it was all fine, got half a mile down the road and then this

DSCF3134.jpg

DSCF3136.jpg

DSCF3135.jpg

DSCF3137.jpg

:(:D:angry: :angry: :blink::):(:angry::o

So time to take that engine out again, all that hard work for nothing, what a waste of time and money :(

Massive thanks to Welshpug who came up on saturday with a 1.6 engine, it is now in and running, idling ok but needs a bit of fiddling. Will put the shafts back in tomorrow and take it for a test drive with my fingers crossed........

willmounsey

what a bargin mate, must of been a ball ache with the engines tho :)

any idea on how much you will be looking fo it when you get all sorted?

Goliath
what a bargin mate, must of been a ball ache with the engines tho :)

any idea on how much you will be looking fo it when you get all sorted?

Yeh it has been a big pain having all these engines give up on me.

Will probably want about £600 when its finished.

willmounsey

whats the rust like in the usual places?

I am quite interested in it, would like to have another 205 (one that works:)) for a daily driver, made bits of my 106 :) and driving a mate's car at the mo.

I'll have a look into VRT (vehical regstration tax) tommorow as I am in southern Ireland and would have to change the plates which is fun to say the least as some cars they've never even heard of :D

willmounsey

lol just looking at the pic's again its like a 'retore your own pug' you bought with all the bits you got with it :)

dcc

The condition of this car is not really broadcast very well in the pictures.

The interior is imaculate, the exterior, im sure when george decides to sell, will be in just as good condition. I was so tempted to drop George £500 for this car when i first saw it! the rust it has really isnt as bad as i thought, and it looks to have all been cleaned up really well! george needs to get some tidy pictures up :)

welshpug

don't forget to tighten those wheelbolts or fill the gearbox up this time!! :)

miamichris

thats a terrible run of bad luck you've had with the engines Goliath, keep the chin up, 205's were made to test our patience! :mellow:

dcc

I just have to laught at that engine, before we even started to strip it, we tried to turn it - with a 10ft pole on the end of the crank. wouldnt budge! lol :mellow:

Goliath

Right I have got the 1.6 engine from WP in and running, I have covered 100 miles in it today (it now has 6 months tax on too :D ) and it has been pretty fine, started being a little hesitant/kangarooing a bit when warm and idling a bit high so will have a go at adjusting them tomorow. One of the indicators isnt working either so will sort that. But its all good for now, it will be my daily drive for a couple of weeks untill my new car arrives then it will be up for sale :)

Goliath

Just a little update, I have now covered over 500 miles in this since monday and it has been fine. It has been returning just under 40 mpg too :)

Minor problems are:

Neither front indicators work - replacement bulbs made no difference

Drivers side headlight doesn't work on dipped or main beam (sidelight works) - Replacement bulbs made no difference

Battery light comes on when hooning round a right hand bend or when braking hard

If anyone has any suggestions to sort them out then let me know!

Goliath

Ooooh I forgot to say I started giving it a wash today, only had a couple of hours so didn't get to do the whole car, the inside has come up nicely. The outside hasn't so much, it seems to have dried patchy/smeary so I will have another go once I have some better cleaning products.

DSCF3141.jpg

DSCF3142.jpg

DSCF3143.jpg

DSCF3140.jpg

willmounsey

Unfortunatly my interest has gone out the window mate i found out that the 205 gti is a collectors item in this country and it'll cost near 800yoyo (£760) to clear it! :lol:

Thta's a right kick in the balls when i want to get another :D

Hardgraf

Unlucky with all the engines mate. How's the one from my car going?

Anthony

Crikey, that's cleaned up well! B)

Neither front indicators work - replacement bulbs made no difference

Drivers side headlight doesn't work on dipped or main beam (sidelight works) - Replacement bulbs made no difference

Battery light comes on when hooning round a right hand bend or when braking hard

Check for corroded connectors and bulb holders on the indictors. If the side repeaters work, then power and earth should be OK.

Headlight is likely a bad earth between the headlight and the radiator - clean it up, or better still, replace it with some proper ring terminals and a bolt.

Battery light could be the alternator exciter wire shorting out against the block or something else that's earthed, or a loose connection on the alternator for the main power feed wire. If you've got an alternator, take a voltage reading from say the cigerette lighter wiring plug, and see if the voltage drops from 14v ish to 12.5v or so when the light comes on, implying that the alternator is no longer charging (ie the light is telling the truth)

Goliath
Unlucky with all the engines mate. How's the one from my car going?

Its going well, very well infact. only problems are: Slight stutter when WOT at high revs, normally only in third gear and the battery light problem.

Crikey, that's cleaned up well! B)

Check for corroded connectors and bulb holders on the indictors. If the side repeaters work, then power and earth should be OK.

Headlight is likely a bad earth between the headlight and the radiator - clean it up, or better still, replace it with some proper ring terminals and a bolt.

Battery light could be the alternator exciter wire shorting out against the block or something else that's earthed, or a loose connection on the alternator for the main power feed wire. If you've got an alternator, take a voltage reading from say the cigerette lighter wiring plug, and see if the voltage drops from 14v ish to 12.5v or so when the light comes on, implying that the alternator is no longer charging (ie the light is telling the truth)

I managed to get the indicators and headlight working, it was all down to the dodgy earth on the front headlight panel. I still get the battery light problem so will check it with the multimeter when I next have a passenger in the car. I have checked the exciter wire and it dosent look like it is touching anything or have any bare cabling along it.