• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Goliath

[misc_work] The £100 Sorrento Bargain

Goliath

I went to look at averyaarons sorrento rolling shell that he had advertised for sale on here for a seemingly cheap £100.

I was pleasantly suprised when we turned up to find that the car was still complete, engine, interior etc were all there :blush: Next bit of good news is the car still has MOT untill may 22 09 :( Then he showed me the boot full of spares which looked tasty :lol: I fell in love pretty much as soon as we looked at it because its a ph2 and I really have a thing for ph2's, probably because the only ph2 I have previously owned was my very first 205 :)

By this time I was sure it was a very good deal so gave him the cash and set about towing it to a mates house where we towed it properly to my house.

We managed to get it running and I was very suprised at how well it ran! After a couple of minutes it was running fine in so far as it was idling and warming up etc, it was however very smokey and moderately low on power. The HG does definately need doing as its very smokey, the oil filler cap has cream gunk in it and the header tank smells of exhaust. I also noticed the clutch seems to be just about shot so will need doing aswell.

The Plan

The basic plan is to swap the engine for one of the working 1.6 ones I have spare and generally sort all the small bits on the car to get it to a resaleable condition. We will then sell it to help fund my share of the eurotrip!

My brother and I are doing this as a joint project. We hope to get it all done as quickly as possible.

Time for some photos....

Image053.jpg

Image054.jpg

Image050.jpg

Nice boot full of spares :D :D

Image047.jpg

AND a back seat full of spares!

Image055.jpg

Nice folder with a very comprehensive history, almost all the reciepts are from peugeot :D always a good sign.

Image056.jpg

Pretty good condition interior, including a swish cd player :)

Image052.jpg

It just gets better and better when I started to look through all the spares, you know i said it needed a new clutch...... well this was in the boot :)

Image049.jpg

Lots of useful trim clips (will need these as i will be refurbing the patchy trim)

Image048.jpg

Image057.jpg

Goliath

Brand new peugeot trim inserts :blush:

Image059.jpg

Plenty of other spares, some of which will be sold.

Image058.jpg

Another bit we will be getting sorted is a patch on the rear quarter which has been repaired, just needs painting,

Image051.jpg

All in all I think it was a bloody good buy, without doubt the best value purchase I have ever made!

Updates to follow throughout the coming week(s)

steve@cornwall

That has to be the deal of the year :blush: All in a good cause, too.

Baz

Ohh so you got it!!

HG was very f*cked when i looked at it, not so bad for £100 then, but get that inner wing sorted and there was a couple of other bits, before the rust gets hold more!!

Edited by Baz

welshpug

is it one of the last 1.6's or a 1.9?

Alastairh

Nice buy.

If it was any other colour than Sorrento i would of bought it. Been there and done that thing...

Welshy, i suspect the fabric of the seats may give the game away :blush:

miamichris

nice buy, looks to be an absolute bargain! :lol:

Moz_Goodwood

cant beat a bit of bargage as the missus calls it :lol: or bargin as i call it B)

All Praise The GTI

Bargain but take that big gay exhaust off NOW!!!

DrSarty

You jammy f*cker George!

Can I have some of those trim clips please? :lol:

Rom

Awesome buy.

At that price its incredible !

I almost cant believe it :lol:

Goliath

Welshpug: Its a 1.6 , when were the last sorrento 1.6 made? I think its a late 92 aswell.

All Praise the GTI: I'm not sure whether i shall be removing the exhaust as I dont have anything to replace it with and dont want to spend unneccesary money! I agree though it is hideous! At least its a pretty good make and not loud.

Baz: I shall indeed be sorting he rust aswell, it looks like just surface rust and not too bad :lol: where else did you notice rust? Had a look today and it seems very rust-free, sills are good so are under the seats etc.

DrSarty: Only if I have any left over B)

hexhamstu

i was wishing and hoping you wouldnt buy this so i could!! you are a jammy bastard!

dan_cole69

cracking purchase :lol:

chris-stdt

Very lucky ,looks clean enough for £100 well done

Edited by chris-stdt

Baz
Baz: I shall indeed be sorting he rust aswell, it looks like just surface rust and not too bad :lol: where else did you notice rust? Had a look today and it seems very rust-free, sills are good so are under the seats etc.

Just the couple of places that aaron had started to tidy, that inner wing, messy repair on the rear quarter etc, otherwise seemed like a decent straight shell on the whole, despite it having had paintwork and lots of little niggles, painted trims, crease in a door or rear quarter iirc, and a few other bits, interior was a bit shagged. Nothing that really put me off though, it was in the pouring rain swapping electrical bits out after being told it was an ign. amp issue why it didn't run, and then soon discovering that the coolant was pressurising up enough to spurt out it's worryingly fresh coolant out as you undid the header tank cap, just after about 6 cranks of turning it over... That was what made it worth walking away from aswel as the little bits, made the 250mile round trip a little bitter to the after taste, particularly as it was such a seemingly obvious issue, and the seller supposedly hadn't realised, so not made clear in the original advertisement.

Guest harvythehippo

i have succummed and joined up to yet another forum :) i am harvy, georges older brother and the one undertaking this project with him. the exhaust is incredible! :S at least its doesnt sound too bad as George said, but it is hidious!

Baz
:D Crap isn't it!! Think i could fit both fists and my c0ck up it... :)

tracktoy

bargain- make a nice car when its done :)

Goliath

Right a small update for you all...

Not done anything major yet as I waqs waiting for the V5 to arrive before replacing/repairing the engine (and waiting for money!)

Looks like i may just replace the headgasket rather then swap the engine as I have another use for the spare engine, I am a little worried about the head being warped though as it has been run with the bust gasket, will have to see i guess...

Done general tidying up/cleaning of it, started taking the trim off to shine it up. Will be getting the rear quarter painted soon aswell.

I have found out something very strange with the history/V5, I had noticed when looking through the history that the past 2 or 3 MOT certificates say the car is RED but all other info matches up on them. I thought I would wait for the V5 to see what it says and indeed it says it is RED when it clearly isnt!

Do you think this could be a mistake from new but only on the last MOT's since the system has been computerised? Or could it be that someone has just changed the colour by mistake? It is definately Sorrento Green! (and has been from new) no resprays here! I guess I will just send it off and change it back!

ah well, more to follow soon, been spending a lot of time working on the clio's though so progress is slow!

brian j
I have found out something very strange with the history/V5, I had noticed when looking through the history that the past 2 or 3 MOT certificates say the car is RED but all other info matches up on them. I thought I would wait for the V5 to see what it says and indeed it says it is RED when it clearly isnt!

Do you think this could be a mistake from new but only on the last MOT's since the system has been computerised? Or could it be that someone has just changed the colour by mistake? It is definately Sorrento Green! (and has been from new) no resprays here! I guess I will just send it off and change it back!

But the chasis and engine numbers do match up to the v5 and the MOT certs? Don't they? I don't see how you could mistake cherry red for sorrento green, even if you were red/green colour-blind!

Goliath

Right, time for an update, although not much of one!

Managed to do some work on it today (despite being up till 6am sorting Eurotrip stuff :) )

Started taking the engine out to either be replaced with the spare engine or for ease of rebuilding. All went pretty well except for the wishbone ball joints, they didnt want to budge for a while.

Just a couple of pictures to show some progress!

DSCF3017.jpg

Its out :lol: (and its getting dark!)

DSCF3018.jpg

One engineless bay.

DSCF3019.jpg

I have decided to really crack on and get this done to raise much needed funds so the updates should be more frequent now.

Cheers

hexhamstu

i hate reading this thread :)

Craigo

good progress mate! :)

Goliath

Good progress today, the spare engine is in and running perfectly :ph34r: no pics as yet though......

Going to sort out the exterior trim and make it look nice.

I need peoples opinions on what to do about the paintwork. In post number two (up there^^) you can see what the rear quarter is like at the moment, also since the car has been parked it has had a couple of small dent put in the side (thumb size dents). A good friend of mine who is a sprayer has offered to spray the whole side of the car for a VERY reasonable fee, do you think it would be worth it and would it add enough value to the car to make it worthwhile? I know he will do a very good job as I have seen a lot of his work and have always been very impressed.

Let me know your thought, I will try and remember to take some pictures tomorow or at the weekend :)