• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

Useful Bits Off A Xsara Vts?

M@tt

i've been on the lookout for a GTI6 engine for my next project. and have been offered a whole working xsara VTS which has just passed its MOT for £520

i really only want the engine and cant be arsed breaking it if i'm honest but it seems like quite a good deal. I just wondered what other bits are useful off them without having to trail the citroen & peugeot servicebox compaing part numbers.

i presume its mostly the same as a 306 GTI6?

I'm thinking things like

PAS rack

hubs

calipers/discs

suspension

driveshafts

beam

wishbones

which bits are 306/xsara only and which can go on the 205

Edited by M@tt

DrSarty

I don't really know the answer to your question Matt (but I bet Welshpug does), but IF it's a truly working motor as is implied by it having 12 months' ticket, then I'd walk over with £500 cash, offer £450 and go from there. I bet you get it for £480. Go go go!!!

VisaGTi16v

Just make sure its not tapping at all from the head and if it hasnt had a cambelt AND tensioners in the last 20k or so replace BOTH and also check the crank pulley at the same time as they rotate on themselves due to the dodgy rubber meaning you time it up wrong and wave good bye to your head. The tensioners are notorious on them hence making sure they have been done. The gearbox is the same ratios as the Mi16 with a 4.43 FD so may as well use that.

How old is it though as the ugly bubble nose mark2 are ODB II with a pair of lambdas in the exhaust and other stuff and I don't think you can use these in a 205 without serious wiring carnage. Mid 2001 onwards.....

M@tt

picking it up tomorrow morning 73k £480 for the whole thing :)

welshpug

I'd just Cage it and slag it myself :) the chassis makes for a VERY quick track car.

most of the mechanicals will transfer across to a 306, engine box cat and centre section, beam brakes suspension rack etc.

front seats will fit, not sure about rears.

Rad and hoses IIRC is the same, wiring loom differs.

M@tt

i've got no space for its getting put on my drive tomorrow everything pulled off it over the weekend and then the scrap man ordered to collect it on monday!

Alastairh

Sounds like you've got most things on the list.

Let me guess Matt. Bogey green with a peugeot engine fitted...

VisaGTi16v

I will have you know Mr Alastair that the XU10J4RS first appeared in the Citroen ZX 16v in late 96 (sadly no longer sold in the UK at that point). It appeared in the softer sprung and heavier with rear toe in, GTi6 after that! :)

Alastairh

Ooh i know that.

I've owned, driven and murdered its under powered brother 16v XU10J4R - (think thats right - S16 lump) and converted it into a 205 :)

But if you look on auction sites, you'll know what i mean by my previous statement :(

VisaGTi16v

Thats good then :)

I do find it funny how cheap some Xsara VTS's go for on fleabay, seen a couple go for not much over £500 with nothing wrong with them, its ridiculous!

Its the XU10J4 in the uk/earlier zx 16v's and 306 S16. Torquey down low but bit gutless up high compared to the J4RS. I owned a VTS before and currently on my 2nd zx so had a nice comparison

Voiture

M@tt

yep that's the one Al, it was being sold by some right pikey though !!

anyway it was almost a shame to break it as it really wasn't in that bad a condition apart from the horrible kermet the frog colour

It's got 4 good tyres, the exhaust (standard) is pretty mint, has a couple of K&N filters on it, the suspension had no knocks or clunks and and it pulled and revved really well so it was a bit of a brucie bargain!

anyway i managed to pull the engine out of it this afternoon along with the various other bits on it i wanted so its just case of whipping off the rear bean tomorrow then scrap man can collect her on monday hopefully :D

SNC00143.jpg

SNC00147.jpg

Also if it wasn't going to be supercharged (M45/M62 homebrew) then it would have been even better as a straight swp as the pulley setup doesn't need any fiddling with as it had no aircon

SNC00145.jpg

VisaGTi16v

Did you unplug the ecu when it was running or whatever it is you have to do to stop it locking down? The cat should be the same as GTi6 ones and the mid section will fit a number of zx's and 306's as well so may be able to flog them. AC was standard on all VTS's so its been removed off that one for some reason. Probably because the AC pipes on Xsara's and 306's always fail as they have metal clips over them at the bottom of the radiator which rust through then do the pipes and they are expensive so I guess a previous owner just binned it all

You may want to rip off some of the smaller bits like the electric mirrors etc, im sure my friend got £25+ for each of his when preparing his VTS race car

Guest DanielVTS

You can sell all the modules together... someone else was but not sure if it went for a sensible price.

Good seats etc are worth loads, airbags etc too.

Edited by DanielVTS

M@tt

i think it's had an engine swap as it looks like its got a Puegeot engine in it.

pretty much stipped everything off it today so most part will be up for sale.

Alastairh
i think it's had an engine swap as it looks like its got a Puegeot engine in it.

Yeah, i would agree with you on that. Not just the sticker, but the mounting of some of the hose's didn't look right. Not surprising really considering how fragile these engines are if not maintained properly.

Good work though :lol:

Al

Edited by Alastairh

24seven

might be interested in the front struts if you sell them on :lol:

Miles

What a nice colour!! 6 speed box thou so it goes with the engine swap

Sign in to follow this