• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
steve@cornwall

How To Fit Kickdown

steve@cornwall

I'm toying with the idea of an autobox in my CTi - Before the WTF? comments :huh: I get occasional leg / back problems which I find somewhat eased by not having to use a clutch. I also have a CTi which I only use occasionally and want to keep, and a 1.6 (carb) auto which I don't. I would, however, prefer to run either a 115 bhp 1.6 engine or a 130 bhp 1.9 with injection rather than the 80 bhp carbed 1.6. the only stumbling point seems to be the installation of the kickdown cable - unless it just goes in the extra cable slot on the throttlebody? Any pics of the gentry arrangement?

Tesstuff

No :huh:

And don't think you will gain entry to our club with your Cti Gentry wannabe , coz you won't !!! :)

DanteICE

Got to give the man some respect points, as he is doing his upmost to keep hold of his 205 GTi, come on people give this man some respect!

Don't worry about gentry entry (wow that rhymes) into their club, we will twist Tesstuff's arm to let you in! :huh:

d-9

On my 309GTIauto it went into the throttle body. Might still have the auto TB in the flowerbed somewhere, cant remember if i kept it as a oddity.

johno_78

the kickdown cable does go onto the throttle body. if yours has the extra slot already, then happy days, no need to change it. if it doesn't, i have a spare one kicking around somewhere.

Super Josh

The autobox also has a combined starter inhibitor/reverse light switch, so you will also need to wire the starter feed through it.

Josh

engine killer

Be gentle to the auto box, it can't take any abuse. We HongKonger are getting very lazy these days, so over 90% of private cars on road are automatic. My previous 205 was an auto one and it only lasted for no more than half a year. Same happened to my friend's latest version 205 GTi.

johno_78
The autobox also has a combined starter inhibitor/reverse light switch, so you will also need to wire the starter feed through it.

This just stops the car starting in any other gear except for park and neutral, so not essential but probably worthwhile.

Be gentle to the auto box, it can't take any abuse. We HongKonger are getting very lazy these days, so over 90% of private cars on road are automatic. My previous 205 was an auto one and it only lasted for no more than half a year. Same happened to my friend's latest version 205 GTi.

I have to disagree, as i have been using an auto box with a 1.9 engine in my track car for 2 years now, with no issues at all.

Tesstuff

Johno could i ask you a question please, as you have extensive experience with the auto box, could you give me a clue why mine would be playing up lately.

I dont know if it is a 'slipping' problem or something more but when i drive round normally, pottering round it is fine, changes up and down fine.But if i want to overtake or accelerate quickly off the line, it drops down into a lower gear and bangs against the 8,000rpm section , so it seems to me that something that 'protects' the box from going into a lower gear too soon is not working.

Last night off the lights i accelerated , it was in 4th on the stick , but 2nd in the box, then at full revs in 2nd at the point it should change up to 3rd, it changed down to 1st and the revs were sky high obviously.I cant see my engine lasting long if that continues.

Any ideas?

Sorry to interfere with Steves thread but if i sure that if i allow him into The Gentry Cti Club he will forgive me :)

steve@cornwall

Some great answers :( I'd not thought of the inhibitor switch- hopefully I could separate this part of the loom from the donor and add it into the injection loom?

Hopefully power through the 'box shouldn't be a problem as it will be very low annual mileage.

Tesstuff - interesting Q - so ask away :D - but to join a Gentry Cti club wouldn't I need to fit leather seats (horrible in a convertible and although I could live with black, I draw the line at beige ) and limit myself to 105 bhp? :)

Edited by steve@cornwall

johno_78

Tesstuff, i'd hardly call myself an expert with the auto. i've been driving them for 7 years but haven't yet had any problems with the box, so have left the internals well alone. The first port of call to check, would be the fluid level and colour. This may be the cause, but i would guess the problem lies within. My knowledge ends there for the moment, but i'm hoping to learn more soon when my new engine undoubtedly chews up the box.

Steve, the inhibitor switch is quite simple to fit. The haynes manual has a decent wiring diagram for it and it's just a case of 3 or 4 wires into a relay.

Sign in to follow this