• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mr Bob

Wiring Question Pt 2

Mr Bob

NOTE this is a 306 2.0L 8v to 2.0L 16V S16 convertion....

right took a long hard look as the S16s main loom to car plug and found myself a spare 8v's plug i could play with

so i noted down the wire position, numbers and colours for the S16 and the wire numbers and colours for the 8vs so i can see if the wires are the same

and largly they are :

s16.jpg

(s16 on the left the 8'vs in the middle and the unknown 8v's wires on the right)

however both plugs have 19 pins but the 8v's only got 18 wires (theres a strange bridge wire i cant get the number off)

DSC00479.jpg

anyway as you can see not all match up

so anyone out there have a suggestion as to what i should do (i am thinking about removing the loom from the engine and giving it to a autoelectrition and hoping he can do somthing with it but i dont wanna do that just yet)

as iam so close to finishing but if i cant get this worked out ill have to give up on this project!! help please!!!

pug_ham

Can you find out where the wires on the S16 plug go to in the loom that aren't there in the 8v loom?

From an inital look at your list I think it will fit in & work if you can find the use of the random few wires.

Also does the 8v bodyshell side of the plug have the extra pins in the plug? I wouldn't like to say whether Peugeot would be quite that model specfic on the bodyshell wiring when they are made on a production line.

If that doesn't work then you should be able to simply join the looms as done when fitting the engine & managemnt into another car (say a 205) by finding the wires you need on the S16 loom & joining them into the spare 8v plug. You only needs two or three wires to get it running.

Graham.

Mr Bob
Can you find out where the wires on the S16 plug go to in the loom that aren't there in the 8v loom?

From an inital look at your list I think it will fit in & work if you can find the use of the random few wires.

Also does the 8v bodyshell side of the plug have the extra pins in the plug? I wouldn't like to say whether Peugeot would be quite that model specfic on the bodyshell wiring when they are made on a production line.

If that doesn't work then you should be able to simply join the looms as done when fitting the engine & managemnt into another car (say a 205) by finding the wires you need on the S16 loom & joining them into the spare 8v plug. You only needs two or three wires to get it running.

Graham.

thanks for the reply i was starting to sweat!

yes the body part of the plug does have extra pins

DSC00464.jpg

but by the looks of things there not used in the 8V loom nor the 16V loom, as you can see buy the list above

DSC00474.jpg

thats the 8v plug

there only 1 pin diffrence between the 8v and 16v plug and the axtra pins on the body work side dont seem to match up, its all very confusing!

Edited by Mr Bob

welshpug

Unused body pins may be for A/C.

Mr Bob
Unused body pins may be for A/C.

thats a good point, Ill look in to that

welshpug

Luckily most later vehicles in the PSA range use the same or similar numbers for engine wiring so tracing them should be fairly straightforward.

I would disconnect the plugs from the wing and make a list of the numbers.

Mr Bob
Luckily most later vehicles in the PSA range use the same or similar numbers for engine wiring so tracing them should be fairly straightforward.

I would disconnect the plugs from the wing and make a list of the numbers.

please feel free to call me stupid but i take it you mean disconnect the plugs that are in the car at the minute and list them?

and when you say from the wing i take it you mean the ones behind the rad on the passengers side?

welshpug

yes, the pair pictured, i.e the car side of the wiring, so you can match these to the engine.

Mr Bob
yes, the pair pictured, i.e the car side of the wiring, so you can match these to the engine.

ill giv that a go and 'report back' :) cheers for all your help

Mr Bob

an idea has poped into my head, do you think using the engine bay wiring loom from a s16 would work?

untitled.jpg

that way i dont need to cut and join wires and makes it look a little more 'professional' and as its from a 306 going in to a 306 of simaler spec so it should match up alright, what do you think?

only problem is i cant find a s16 thats getting broke up, i cant post in the wanted board and is it agaenst the rules to say 'anyone got one/know someone with one or know a brakers with one' in this thread?

welshpug

would be easier to just use the engine wiring itself, its a fair mission to remove the complete front end wiring, the scuttle panel and wiper motor would need removing to access the 6"x4" multiplug in the bulkhead

the majority of that wiring would be identical however, the only differences would generally be in the 2 plugs that mate to the engine wiring itself.

Mr Bob
would be easier to just use the engine wiring itself, its a fair mission to remove the complete front end wiring, the scuttle panel and wiper motor would need removing to access the 6"x4" multiplug in the bulkhead

the majority of that wiring would be identical however, the only differences would generally be in the 2 plugs that mate to the engine wiring itself.

not to fussed about removing and refitting on the wiring as I've had to remove the front end last year due to a bump and I had to remove the scuttle pannels/wiper moter and 6x4 plug when i replaced the heater matrix

i just need to know if that idea would work then i can get about trying to sorce one!

thanks

bob

Sign in to follow this