• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205Rallee

Kad Ajdustable Wishbones

205Rallee

Hi,

Having given up on the idea of the Compbrake bottom arms because of all the issues...I see that Kent Auto Developments KAD, who do an awful lot of stuff for Minis, also do some Peugeot bits including top mounts and negative camber bottom arms. Has anybody used these or aware of any issues. They follow the usual format of a modified std arm with uprated bushes and a big rose joint at the hub end. Price is £297 inc VAT exchange for original arms.

welshpug

IIRC there was someone on ebay doing them for £180 exchange recently, no idea of the quality of joint they were using though.

Spiky

any pictures????

i'm going to make up some std wishbones with a RJ on the otter hub end,

i'm also going to make up a set with IN-SITU adjusters :blink:

if you can wait, i can do you a good deal :lol:

205Rallee
any pictures????

Only need them for next season so I can wait March ish?

For photos have a look on the KAD website.

PS theres a set of PTS tubular wishbones on e bay for £100 at the mo - look knackered though!

welshpug
1019189_300.JPG

Tom Fenton
any pictures????

All well and good, but do you have a certified welder to do the modifications? And have you performed calcs to prove that the material you will use for the pin that clamps into the hub is up to spec?

It is one thing making something safety critical for your own car, but if you make it and then sell it on to others you have a duty of care that what you supply is up to the job. In the case of a lower arm failing in worst case scenario say 100mph on a circuit the resulting crash could quite well be very nasty.

I've modified lower arms for rose joints in the past for myself, but I personally wouldn't want to start making them for other people without having considered the above.

swordfish210
All well and good, but do you have a certified welder to do the modifications? And have you performed calcs to prove that the material you will use for the pin that clamps into the hub is up to spec?

It is one thing making something safety critical for your own car, but if you make it and then sell it on to others you have a duty of care that what you supply is up to the job. In the case of a lower arm failing in worst case scenario say 100mph on a circuit the resulting crash could quite well be very nasty.

I've modified lower arms for rose joints in the past for myself, but I personally wouldn't want to start making them for other people without having considered the above.

I'v got a set of 205 wishbones in my garage that i was thinking of making in to rose jointed ones as part of my Uni coursework, but you are right i would never sell them even if i was confident that they would handle the stresses required just incase they did fail and kill someone or something.

Oh and i am a certified welder as of last week :blink:

Spiky

thats a fair comment, and i 100% with you

i am going to make some and will test using my own car, if it fails and kills me, dont buy a set..lol

all joking a side, i will get them tested some how for strength :blink:

swordfish210
all joking a side, i will get them tested some how for strength :lol:

Somewhere like "Smithers Rapra" would possibly do it for you...i bet it wont be cheap though :blink:

Spiky

mmm ok..lol

i'm not a business and i certainly dont expect to make hundreds of these, but if i do a couple of track days and i'm still replying on here and someone would like a set,

we all take risks in life, remember just being at a track day is dangerous :blink:

Spiky

does it also mean that the pedal box's that are currently being made wont sell?

:blink:

swordfish210
i'm not a business and i certainly dont expect to make hundreds of these,

Yeah i thought that, i just meant that stress testing a bespoke component isnt cheap as they have to find out the opeating stresses, set up a rig to do it on etc etc etc and all that dolally.

Worth it if it passes with flying colours though :blink:

swordfish210

does it also mean that the pedal box's that are currently being made wont sell?

:lol:

i think you'll be allright there :blink:

Off topic but are you coming to combe on the 29th for the NSPCC day?

Spiky
i think you'll be allright there :blink:

Off topic but are you coming to combe on the 29th for the NSPCC day?

didn't know anything about that day, may pop along if i'm around :lol:

though not in the 205, my build thread will answer why..lol

though once the cambelt is made and a pedal box is made, it's full steam ahead putting it back together again :lol:

next planned track day is 29th dec at donny ;)

Rippthrough
Yeah i thought that, i just meant that stress testing a bespoke component isnt cheap as they have to find out the opeating stresses, set up a rig to do it on etc etc etc and all that dolally.

Yep, it cost me a fortune to have have my brake discs tested, and that was with me supplying the fixtures for the rig too!

:D:)

cybernck

btw, an important bit of info coming from Compbrake:

The wishbones had a few problems due to different anti roll bars etc but we have sorted this out now and every pair should fit any 205.

Batfink

might be worth asking compbrake what they have actually changed in the design and how much stock of the old type do they have to shift before making the new version.

I'm certainly waiting for these issues to be sorted before I look at these :ph34r:

Miles

always thought every 205 & 309 ARB was the same

taylorspug

Me too...standard ones anyway.

Cameron

Im making some tubular wishbones with rose jointed inners and outers soon. Should prove to be a good alternative to modified wishbones and the not so pretty compbrake ones. I expect to be making a set for my car in the next month or so and will be testing them thoroughly before making more to sell. I'm currently at the stage of calculating the material diameter and thickness, so they should be plenty strong enough. I'm not a certified welder but I weld for a good few hours solid each day at work. So welding shouldn't be an issue.

Basic spec will be: rose joint for inner and outer pivots, machined steel shaft to attach to hub - the length of which will be custom to how much your car has been lowered in order to regain the correct wishbone angle, a number of options for forward / backward spacing of the lower rose joint to allow increased castor angle, a number of widths for track / camber angle, wishbones will be made from T45 and the highest quality parts I can lay my hands on. Price is estimated to be around £350, but depends on how much the materials cost.

I'll be keeping This Thread updated and I'll try and put some updates on here when I can.

205Rallee

Sorry folks I didn't mean to stir up the old Compbrake deabte again! I like the comment "they should fit any 205".

From the responses it looks like no one has seen/used the KAD ones!

Tom Fenton

I haven't seen the KAD wishbones, but from my experience of KAD products (16v twin cam cylinder head on the turbo Mini) they will be very good quality, and fit properly. However get ready as they will also most likely be very expensive.

Spiky
Im making some tubular wishbones with rose jointed inners and outers soon. Should prove to be a good alternative to modified wishbones and the not so pretty compbrake ones. I expect to be making a set for my car in the next month or so and will be testing them thoroughly before making more to sell. I'm currently at the stage of calculating the material diameter and thickness, so they should be plenty strong enough. I'm not a certified welder but I weld for a good few hours solid each day at work. So welding shouldn't be an issue.

Basic spec will be: rose joint for inner and outer pivots, machined steel shaft to attach to hub - the length of which will be custom to how much your car has been lowered in order to regain the correct wishbone angle, a number of options for forward / backward spacing of the lower rose joint to allow increased castor angle, a number of widths for track / camber angle, wishbones will be made from T45 and the highest quality parts I can lay my hands on. Price is estimated to be around £350, but depends on how much the materials cost.

I'll be keeping This Thread updated and I'll try and put some updates on here when I can.

i had a set of tubular arms in my pressence up until a few days a go.

i think you will have issues clearing the standard ARB, but look forward in seeing you design

i dont have access to that thread you posted,

any pics of your design?

Spiky
always thought every 205 & 309 ARB was the same

:rolleyes::blush:

i'm supprised you didn't know this??

my std ARB is 17.5mm my 309 ARM is 21mm, thats a fair diffence

welshpug

They are the same as in their shape, not diameter, and hence the issues with things not fitting are somewhat baffling....

iirc the most common method to combat the clearance issue with the ARB, is to simply attach the ARB to the arm instead of the damper, simple innit!!

Edited by welshpug

Sign in to follow this