• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
marksorrento205

[car_overhaul] The Winter Project

Tesstuff

I am soooooooooooooooooo glad i let you drive my car , as you now 'owe' me a drive in yours when it is complete ;)

It is going to be a proper top job i know it :D

Take your time , i can wait :blink:

marksorrento205

Here is a pic of the back end. I had the wiper and washer jet removed as their is not much need for it. I have just picked up my shinny new steering wheel but I have been convinced to let her indoors buy it for me for christmas so I have to wait to fit it :) Still waiting for my double studs for my rear beam. Pug are saying back order untill 11 dec. Autofive have sourced me some for friday. Shame as I have had all day to build it and swap it. Still need some 306 gti6 ARB end plates??

th_205006-1.jpg

Edited by marksorrento205

jimistdt

Looking well there Mark, but what the hell has happened to the wheel on the car in the right of the pic?

marksorrento205

:)

Dont know. We went out for a blast down the country lanes to view a 206 gti and stopped off at a local boozer to get some directions to the middle of no where. Probally someone lost it ragging it round the lanes :lol:

marksorrento205

I fitted my gti6 front brakes yesterday. Not sure about the extra pedal travel? How much extra should it be? Im gonna re bleed the brakes tomorrow to see if that helps. I have looked into a 406 mc but at £85 a bit dear if im gonna fit my bias pedal box I have made out of a standard 205 pedal box and a kit car pedal box. Had a bit of time today to assemble my 309 rear beam. I got hold of some studs from autofive on tuesday, still waiting for my ones from pug to arrive, and got my freshly powder coated mounting parts back. I assembled the beam which had brand new cross tube inc bearings, new trailing arm shafts, new partner 21.3mm torsion bars and new nuts and bolts. I trial fitted the 306 gti6 24mm ARB to see how much would need trimming. I have looked into getting it cut down and re splined but its gonna cost some where in the region of £120. You can get custom ones for £130 so as I had a gti6 one its gonna cost me nothing to cut it down and weld one of the end plates on as sujested on here. I have chosen to weld the end plate with the larger dia splines so hopefully it should be a tight fit over the arb without much triming. The small end has the arb reduced in dia which would mean, once the arb is cut down in length, having the end I want to weld turned down to suit the dia of the splines. If all this fails I will get a 24mm 309 one.

My pedal box assy I have been making over the last month

th_205002-2.jpg

The gti6 brakes ready to be fitted

th_205002-3.jpg

The Disc and carrier fitted

th_205003-2.jpg

Assembled 309 rear beam

th_205004-1.jpg

The dummy shock in use that 309pug and m@tt have been selling

th_205005-2.jpg

Torsion bars adjusted and locked up

th_205006-2.jpg

The difference between the standard 309 gti arb v 306 gti6 arb.

th_205008.jpg

A little too big

th_205009.jpg

Where it needs chopping. The first green line from the end. I think it's about 37mm too long.

th_205010.jpg

marksorrento205

Just ordered some goodridge hoses and fittings so I can plumb my pedal box in and have braided hoses from front to back to replace my corroded standard ones.

marksorrento205

Have just re bled the brakes and seams to have made a difference which is a bonus. Chopped off the arb and welded the end plate on. I drilled into the arb through the hole in the end plate so it was in the middle and tapped it to M10 and put a bolt into it to hold the arb in the right place when I removed the other end plate. Then welded it up. It seams to be spot on and did not move. I guess fitting it and driving it will see if its any good:)

marksorrento205

Well just swapped my rear beam for my rebuilt 309 one. Nice easy job. Only ran into one hicup. When I set the ride height I set it to the std 205 gti distance between damper mount bolts. With the uprated torsion bars when I lowered it of the jack it did not go down very far ;) Its like an off roader. That will be a job for tomorrow.

marksorrento205

I reset the ride high at the back this morning. Set it to 305mm between damper bolt holes. I may be 1/4" too low but im happy with it at that. Took it out for a blast and what a difference!! Much more stable in all phases of cornering. The only problem is it has shown the front end up a bit. Bit understeery and light feel to it. Need to find a front end set up to compliment the rear. Any help, ideas and/or advice more than welcome. I was thinking about gti6 springs and dampers with 309 arms to start with as I have a set in the shed, but will it make the front higher due to the springs rated for a 306 with the gti6 engine not a 205 with an mi16?

marksorrento205

Well the day has come when I can get my hands on my new steering wheel. A quick 10 min job to swap it over and hey presto.

The old standard wheel

th_205003-3.jpg

The centre removed revealing the 21mm nut, also marked the top of the coloum so I new where the top was.

th_205004-2.jpg

The wheel removed

th_205005-3.jpg

The new deep dish OMP wheel. Hopefully you will agree it looks the tits.

th_205006-3.jpg

chris 417 mi

very interested in this thread mate as im about to go down the same route as you (old mi on bodies out & gti-6 on bodies in ), did you have the standard mi manifold on yours or the miles/pugsport etc one ?

marksorrento205

Mine has always had bodies on it. I had them from my kit car that I had never fitted so when I fitted the MI16 I just got a jenvey or longmans inlet manifold so never bothered running it on a std manifold. Gonna do the same with the gti6 donk when I fit it, Which im getting a gti6 engine on saturday!! Straight in no rebuild!! Gonna have spare gti6 parts for sale soon - sump and oil pump with spocket and chain, for the MI runners out there, complete inlet manifolds and an exhaust manifold etc. Maybe even my MI16 engine.

marksorrento205

I have not played with the 205 for a while, just been driving it. I got my hands on a bargain black 306 rallye which needed a few bits doing to it. In true pug style the list got bigger and bigger. It started off with 17" alloys which I swapped with a lad off the 306 forum with some std wheel. It had a powerflow full stainless exhaust which I though was just a back box but ended up being a full system, Cheers to anthony for sorting me out with a gen cat, and after a nightmare with crap Euro Car parts exhaust ended up with a gen pug one. It was lowered all round so I wanted to raise it back to std. After a seized r/h torsion bar and having to press it out (over 10 ton to move it) it ended up including a full beam refurb and changing the rear mounts for solid ones (cheers Miles!!) as they were goosed. It also had new discs and pads all round, I rebuilt the sticking rear calipers and I am waiting on a set of front roller bearing wishbone bushes to arrive. The car is going to be my run around and also for the track.

The rallye as bought (excuse the tree)

th_306stainlesszorst008.jpg

Any way back to the 205 I have had it in the garage today and raised the rear beam by 5mm. 310mm between damper bolts. This is to try and get the car within the "upto 10 higher" at the back as it was level. I wanted to take it out for a rant but the weather is very wet and its rush hour. Im hoping that some of the understeer might be slightly reduced.

Roll on the good weather :rolleyes:

marksorrento205

Right well the car is now in bits.

The Mi16 engine before it was removed

th_r888wheels005.jpg

The rallye alt tensioner set up to get rid of the aircon.

th_205gti6conv008.jpg

A little rot in the n/s inner wing

th_205gti6conv009.jpg

More pics of the rot

th_205gti6conv012.jpg

Up close and nasty

th_205gti6conv013.jpg

First bit of the rot cut out

th_205gti6conv015.jpg

Most of the panels removed. Just requires a clean up

th_205gti6conv016.jpg

th_205gti6conv018.jpg

Wing removed without damaging it.

th_205gti6conv017.jpg

I should have the replacement panels from pug tomorrow to crack on :ph34r:

marksorrento205

Well its been a long time since I updated this. I have been busy with other cars so not really had much time for this one untill this last month. Here are a few pics of the progress. I have replaced a load of panels in the lh inner wing / headlight area, welded strut top plates on and had the engine bay painted.

A hole in the nearside front footwell

th_17112009852.jpg

That hole cleaned up, plate made and welded in.

th_18112009854.jpg

A hole in the nearside rear footwell.

th_17112009853.jpg

That hole cut out, cleaned up, plate made and welded in.

th_18112009856.jpg

I also finnished off fitting the gti6 engine to the car along with a xsara vts gearbox, which I stripped, had blasted then painted silver, then Miles rebuilt it and fitted new diff bearing and seals. I also fitted a 406 non abs master cylinder, a clear header tank with a BBM upper heater matrix gti6 hose (which are spot on!!)

The 406 M/c in place.

th_11122009868.jpg

306 gti6 Pas set up fitted.

th_11122009867.jpg

Clear header tank from a diesel model, a new washer bottle and 306 battery box fitted.

th_11122009869.jpg

The lack of room to fit an airfilter

th_11122009870.jpg

A quick shot of the lot :blush:

th_11122009871.jpg

The car is now all mot'd and taxed and im off to get some new tyres fitted now :)

Galifrey

Nice, another 205 gti-6 hits the road!

:blush:

BusEngineer

Looking good fella :blush:

James_m

Looks good :) You using a 306 rack? Did it bolt up to the lower steering column without modification if so?

marksorrento205
Looks good :rolleyes: You using a 306 rack? Did it bolt up to the lower steering column without modification if so?

No im using a std 205 pas rack - for now. If the gti6 one is anything like the xsara vts one (which I would say it will be) you have to mod them a little from what I have read on here.

CosKev

Looking good Mark :blink:

One question,does the PAS work ok with the feed pipe being higher than the resevoir?????

I thought it was just gravity fed ;)

marksorrento205

Cheers all :)

Kev, yes it works fine.

marksorrento205

A little job carried out today as the sun was out :)

Earlier type door cards as fitted as standard to the car

th_090420101341.jpg

Later phase 2.5 door cards to replace the earlier ones

th_090420101342.jpg

They go with and match the seats a treat :D

th_090420101343.jpg

j_turnell

Nice install, door cards look very nice :)

marksorrento205

I have to say looking at the before and after pics, it funny how old looking the earlier ones look :)

I think the next job to tackle, inbetween messing about with the 205 v6, is the slight rot in front of the rear wheels. On a plus note, my 306 rallye flew though the mot today for the second year running since I have owned it :D