• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
marksorrento205

[car_overhaul] The Winter Project

marksorrento205

So here's the plan. My car is a 1992 sorrento green 1.9 205. I bought it in April 2008. I got the car for a good price but it had a small 50p size rust spot on the o/s inner wing suspension turret where the jack had been rubbing on the metal work wearing away the paint. When I peeled the sticker back more of the metal came with it - o dear. So I had the complete inner wing replaced.

I removed the engine to assist the inner wing replacement so I bolted a 1.9 MI16 instead of the std 1.9. I bolted on my throttle bodies, my omex 600 ecu and BBM hose kit. When I had the car set up it pulled 159.2 BHP on the rollers. I was a little disapointed but the compression was not a high as it could be.

I then bought my 306 Rallye cheap of a mate with an engine fault. It needed a rebuilt. So I got a belting engine for it and swapped it. This left me with a gti6 engine needing a rebuild and only one place for it to go...........

Since then I have had a transit van lightly go into the back of the 205. Its currently in the bodyshop having a new rear panel, boot floor and tailgate.

The Idea is to spend the winter doing a few upgrades and repairs.

marksorrento205

A pic of the car just after I got it

th_205noplate.jpg

How the engine was

th_005.jpg

The inner wing corrosion

th_007.jpg

The new shinny inner wing

th_003.jpg

The MI16 engine

th_205013.jpg

marksorrento205

One of my upgrades is the 309 gti rear beam. Once I got it I stripped it to find it needed attention. The bearing where none existant worn right through. So a big list of parts from pug followed inc a new crossmember, new shafts and it ended up with new torsion bars. I have opted for the partner 21.3 ones with a gti6 24 mm antiroll bar.

The beam as bought

th_205253.jpg

Corrosion on the shaft

th_205256.jpg

Pushing old shaft out

th_205257.jpg

Old V new shaft

th_205258.jpg

New shafts fitted

th_205260.jpg

matty_gti

Nice work, wish i had a press :) . Keep the pics coming.

Baz

Nice work Mark, btw you might get better results from using longer trumpets on your TB's. :blush:

marksorrento205

Cheers, yeah I belive so. When the GTI6 lump goes in and it gets remapped that will be the time :blush:

Tesstuff

By the way, passed my MOT today not even any advisories, happy days :D

jimistdt

Nice car already, cant wait to see when its done :D

marksorrento205

Daz good news about the car. But your well chuffed. I could have done with you here to show me the ropes of this internet malarky :D

marksorrento205
Nice car already, cant wait to see when its done :wacko:

Thanks im just gagging to get it back from the bodyshop post repairs!!

Tesstuff
Daz good news about the car. But your well chuffed. I could have done with you here to show me the ropes of this internet malarky B)

I was rather happy to put it mildly :o and you only had to ask about pc assistance i could have logged onto your pc and helped you from my end.

Thanks im just gagging to get it back from the bodyshop post repairs!!

I am having sleepless nights awaiting your pictures of an immaculate rear end in shiny minty Sorrento :wacko:

Cant waitttttttttttttttt :o

marksorrento205
I am having sleepless nights awaiting your pictures of an immaculate rear end in shiny minty Sorrento :)

Cant waitttttttttttttttt :)

Niether can I. They have just rang me and reckon it will be friday. They said it has been painted but has to be cleaned, put back together and go through there quality department. And they are well aware it has to go through my quality department :)

B)

Tesstuff

Haha, and i am confident in saying that there will be no sterner test than them getting a 'pass' from your quality control manager :)

Overspray and underspray and runs and orange peel wont have a cat in hells chance of getting past you mate :)

marksorrento205

Another little job I need to do is fit my gti6 front brakes. When I went to look at fitting them I noticed one of the pistons had popped out so a rebuild was needed.

Here are the calipers as I bought them

th_205004.jpg

And one of the shinny rebuild kits from pug

th_205005.jpg

Edited by marksorrento205

Tesstuff

Nice to see the pictures working properly now mate :D

I can sleep at night now i know you sorted that haha :lol:

marksorrento205

Cheers dude. The other ones were saved as 120 x 160 so they were always going to be small :D

Just finnished rebuilding my calipers

A bit of compressed air to blow the piston out

th_205brakes002.jpg

Everything removed

th_205brakes003.jpg

New seal in place

th_205brakes005.jpg

The piston

th_205brakes006.jpg

The new dust seal

th_205brakes007.jpg

The piston sat in the dust seal waiting to be pushed home

th_205brakes008.jpg

A bit of pressure to check everything is sealing and that the dust seal is in the groove. The bit of wood is to stop the piston coming to far out and past the seals

th_205brakes009.jpg

Old dust seals

th_205brakes010.jpg

New dust seals fitted as well as cleaning up the shaft and re greasing it

th_205brakes011.jpg

Hey presto. Just need a quick lick of paint and I also want to replace the bleed screws with new ones to help against them seizing.

th_205brakes012.jpg

For info pt no for the seal kit is 444879

marksorrento205

The day has come. The car is ready (so they say) Im watching the clock untill 08.30 then I can go and pick it up. Fingers crossed there wont be any problems.

marksorrento205

Well, went to pick up my car, looked round it all seamed well, took the hire car back, got a lift back and the sun had come out :) Went to get in my car and WTF!

Where they had polished the car all over there was a load of big dull patches on my paintwork. So it was oi di ck head what have you done to my car?? the list got bigger as I looked round it. My spoiler was scatched as was my rear valance, they had not put the rear heated window cables back in, the n/s rear arch was not fixed on propally. So its still there :ph34r::D

The funny thing is I was due to get the car back last friday but they told me it had failed there quality dept check and was going in for polishing. It has since been through quality again. What it was like the first time??

As we said daz, got to pass my quality dept :lol: :lol:

Tesstuff

OH MY GOD!! :ph34r:

Who are these monkeys? I bet you its the usual 'its an old Peugeot 205 we dont have to do a great job on it' scenario.

But true to form the important 'quality control manager' Mark did his job LOL.

I had the exact same crap happen with one of my cars a couple of years ago, i took an immaculate car in, and all i wanted doing was a stone chipped bumper respraying, the rest of the bodywork was as good as possible, they proceeded to paint the bumper,half the bonnet, and both wings in a dull and different shade of red.It was hoorendous, i almost cried with rage.Needless to say the manager was told the score, my requirements and given a week to make it mint,they knew they couldnt do it so the car was sent to one of the top places in Leicester at his expense :)

So make sure you get exactly what you want Mark, and thats a shiny minty rear end that looks like it has just come out of the factory on concourse day :lol:

While i am here, there is a very nice looking bonnet for us on eBay , been on a couple of days , i wondered if you had seen it.

Keep me updated and at least you dont run out of petrol like some numptys in the Sorrento Club do :D:lol:

eddie bullit
Well, went to pick up my car, looked round it all seamed well, took the hire car back, got a lift back and the sun had come out :) Went to get in my car and WTF!

Where they had polished the car all over there was a load of big dull patches on my paintwork. So it was oi di ck head what have you done to my car?? the list got bigger as I looked round it. My spoiler was scatched as was my rear valance, they had not put the rear heated window cables back in, the n/s rear arch was not fixed on propally. So its still there :lol: :lol:

The funny thing is I was due to get the car back last friday but they told me it had failed there quality dept check and was going in for polishing. It has since been through quality again. What it was like the first time??

As we said daz, got to pass my quality dept :):lol:

Who can you trust to do a quality job these day :ph34r: Hope it turns out ok for you pal. I had loads of trouble with the so called bodyshop that did mine. If I had the cash I'd have it all done again :D I just wish paintguy had his own place, I'd be up to his neck of the woods in a flash.

Good luck mate. keep us posted.

marksorrento205

Its gonna be a fun road :blink: If I keep finding faults, their is only so much paint you can polish, then what a respray :( They know the standards now so there should be no repeat performances. The metal work side of things is spot in inc my nice rust free shiny boot floor.

marksorrento205
While i am here, there is a very nice looking bonnet for us on eBay , been on a couple of days , i wondered if you had seen it.

Yes I have, Are you going for it?

Any way here are a couple of pics of one area of bad workmanship

th_205002-1.jpg

th_205003-1.jpg

However.......

One phone call today to tell me my car is ready provided the following

Nice shinny car

th_205006.jpg

New boot floor - I know its upside down dont know why ive rotated it???

th_205005-1.jpg

The car was mint!! the spoiler and rear valance were sprayed, the rear heated screen cables are fitted and they have really done a nice job of polishing the car. They have bent over backwards and would have tried to polish a turd for me if I told them too. It shouldn't have taken two attemps but what the hell. And I have a 3 yr guarentee on the work. Plently of time to pick faults :D

I will get some more pics in proper daylight.

Tesstuff

Hey go you ;) it looks very nice , i bet its loads better in the 'flesh' so to speak :blush:

I want :D

I am definitely seeing this one close up when you complete it, the wait will be worth it :)

I wont be going for the ebay item, tooooooooooooooo far away lol, but i would like it obviously.

So now i am out the running you have a chance ;):P

marksorrento205
I wont be going for the ebay item, tooooooooooooooo far away lol, but i would like it obviously.

So now i am out the running you have a chance :lol::P

Thats the same for me. I dont want to travel all the way to find its crap. Have asked about sending a custom wooden box to send it to me but will see what they say. I dont hold much hope.

marksorrento205

Today I have sent some things to the powder coaters. I can only balme carl (mechanicalrepairs) for his mint car / engine for re lighting my powdercoat fetish - I thought I had past this stage ;):blink: Im getting an omp steering wheel thanks to djinuk which is in the post and I have sourced an omp rollcage from a mate who has had it sat around for the last 3 years and only done about 200 miles in is car so looking forward to getting my hands on it.