• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Toddy

Ignition Barrel

Toddy

I tested the input voltage to the ignition barrel which was 12.8v, but when I tested the output voltage wire going to the solenoid it was only 10v, this explains why sometimes the starter motor will not turn over.

My question is what is causing the resistance to lower the output voltage by nearly 3v?

welshpug

was the voltage drop measured at the solenoid? if so replace the blue wire all the way to the brown multiplug where the loom enters the cabin under the dash, most of the time this will solve the problem.

Sandy

Check the condition of the engine earth strap, the most likely culprit. You can use a jump lead from the engine to body or battery negative to qualify whether the earth is healthy or not.

Toddy
was the voltage drop measured at the solenoid? if so replace the blue wire all the way to the brown multiplug where the loom enters the cabin under the dash, most of the time this will solve the problem.

I measured the voltage drop at the wire exiting the ignition barrel.

I can start it two ways, one is to take a feed from the battery to the single blue wire which has a single connection (TU3S xs) near the coil, the other way is that I have taken a feed from the Fusebox and attached a switch which then piggybacks on the solenoid wire inside the glovebox.

Any more ideas

Cheers

mr_exe

I've had this problem so the ignition switch triggers a relay so the starter wire gets its full dose of volts.

Sign in to follow this