• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chalky143

Rust Proofing?

chalky143

Hey, anyone got any sugesstions on what stuff i can use to rust proof the bottom of my 205?

thankyou

leon

pete1986

I think most people use underseal, its a black paint that you can just brush on. Im no expert though and im not sure if it is the best stuff to use, but i expect someone will reply to either agree with me or slate me for suggesting it!

GLPoomobile

There's quite a few really good topics on here regarding rust proofing, which I recommend you serach out and have a read through. These keywords would be a good start

Dinitrol

Bilt Hamber

Frost

Or you could try something like this as the search criteria

+rust +paint

Then just have a trawl through the results :wacko:

EDIT: I just tried "+rust +treat" in the search and the results looked a bit more relevant than "+rust +paint", so give that a go.

Edited by GLPoomobile

grandos

I'm also interested in this topic. I also imagine underseal is the correct stuff to use, but not sure which brand is a reputable brand to use or where to get it from. Any ideas???

Otherwise I'll end up using some sh*^e from halfrauds.

Doh too slow :wacko:

CosKev

They sell some good stuff actually!!!! B)

The one with added Waxoyl is the one I like :lol:

If you are dropping the rear beam/tank and doin the job properly use a scraper to start with to remove all the dodgy old Pug underseal,then use a wire brush/rust removal wheel attachment in your drill on all patches of rust,then if its only surface rust I use Loctite rust remedy to treat it,get the welder out if its rusted threw!!!!! ;)

Then prime any areas that are bare metal,then use seam sealer on all the seams and over any parts you primed,then use your choice of underseal.

Just painting underseal over loose/old underseal/rust etc is a waste of time if you want the car to last a few more years,ok if your just hiding the cars condition for the MOT tester! :unsure:

After scraper:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/coskev3/100_2247.jpg

Rust treated:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/coskev3/100_2250.jpg

Primed and seam sealed:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/coskev3/100_2252.jpg

Above tank undersealed:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/coskev3/100_2254.jpg

Fully protected: B)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/coskev3/100_2258.jpg

:lol:

grandos

Well i used some waxoyl base product (cause i could get it quickly) and man that stuff is like s*&t to a blanket and nice and thick.

I did much the same as you (CosKev) in that I removed all the rust back to shiny metal then Zinc primed it before undersealing.

pete1986

This is definately something i wanna do.

What about in the engine bay?? Whilst the engine is out of my 205 i wanna give the bay a good clean up and sort any areas of rust. I dont really want areas of black underseal in an otherwisee white engine bay. What advise/tips do you have in this instance?

Chaff

I beleave you can get different colour underseal if you look around. Just find one thats white.

Mikey S
This is definately something i wanna do.

What about in the engine bay?? Whilst the engine is out of my 205 i wanna give the bay a good clean up and sort any areas of rust. I dont really want areas of black underseal in an otherwisee white engine bay. What advise/tips do you have in this instance?

i recently dealt with some rust under the bonnet of my own 205 before i installed my mi16.

i just rubbed all the rust right down with some rather course sandpaper. applied some locktite rust cure and built it back up with a skim of filler.

after flatting off, i used acid etch primer (3 coats), then sprayed it with graphite grey aerosol from halfords followed by 3 coats of clearcoat.

its a good job and i will post some pics in the next day or so.

pete1986

Excellent, thanks pugger. Thats similar to my plan of attck, apart from i was gonna use a wire brush attachment in drill to take the rust off, then a normal rattle can primer after locktite rust cure.

Whats the benefit of acid etch primer? And is it easily available, ie from halfords and such like?

Mikey S
Excellent, thanks pugger. Thats similar to my plan of attck, apart from i was gonna use a wire brush attachment in drill to take the rust off, then a normal rattle can primer after locktite rust cure.

Whats the benefit of acid etch primer? And is it easily available, ie from halfords and such like?

ive always used it after a recomendation from a paint sprayer mate. apparetly it 'eats' its way into the metal giving much better adhesion.

my local motorfactor gets it mixed for me. its around 13 quid a can, but you can buy it on ebay. halfords dont stock it.

i used 500ml for both inner wings back to the bulkhead and down to the bottom of the chassis legs.

pete1986

Great, ill give that a go. Theres aN auto paint mixing place not too far away from me, they should stock it. Happy Days!

Edited by pete1986

Sign in to follow this