• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Longfield

Hose From Rocker Cover On 8v To Brake Master Cyl?

Longfield

On my 8v I've got a hose that runs from the inlet manifold to the brake master cylinder. My question is... what's this hose for as looking at other 8v's I can't see this hose at all?

PS: Ignore my title as the hose is not from the rocker cover!

Edited by Longfield

welshpug

its the Servo vacuum hose.

Longfield

so can the servo vacum hose run to different locations or have others just hidden it well?

jackherer

I always replace that hose when fitting an Mi16 as it looks awful draped over the rocker cover. IMO it doesn't look as bad on an 8V but you could still improve it. Either replace it totally with a longer hose you can route more neatly or cut it and extend it with some solid pipe to change the route.

Chris_Mi

Presumably this hose has a purpose -creating a vacuum from the inlet manifold to the brake servo? Is this why braking is better with the engine running? If so, how will a gaping hole affect performance, because my rubber braided hose is slowly melting onto the 16v cylinderhead :lol: !

I've seen s/steel braided types. Anyone know who supplies these, and are they OTT?

Cheers

Chris

jackherer
Presumably this hose has a purpose -creating a vacuum from the inlet manifold to the brake servo? Is this why braking is better with the engine running?

Yes :o

If so, how will a gaping hole affect performance, because my rubber braided hose is slowly melting onto the 16v cylinderhead :lol: !

It'll be like the engine isn't running ;)

You'll still be able to stop as well as before but it will require much greater pedal effort.

Also the engine idle may deteriorate depending on the engine management, and it will be breathing unfiltered air through the leak.

I've seen s/steel braided types. Anyone know who supplies these, and are they OTT?

Any hydraulic hose supplier will be able to supply them. The only requirement for this hose is that it doesn't collapse under vacuum.

Sign in to follow this