• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

Does Anyone On Here Run 17's Either Road Or Track

Stu

As above guys,

Im getting sick to death of looking for 15' slicks now, and given the abundance of 17's i wonder if it might be worth investing in a ratty set just to accomodate some slicks.

I dont really want to sacrifice the brakes and go down to 13's, and 14 and 16's seem to be as rare, hence the 17's.

Anyone?

grandos

I've run 17's although I would advise against it, defo would not do it again. Basically the front is fine no problems with arch clearance but if the rim and tyre are too wide you may get rubbing on the shock upright.

However when moving to the back of the vehicle things change dramatically. :)

You'll get the plastic arches fowling on everything, the rear valance will rub on suspension compression and if you really push on (only fast road) you can run in to problems with touching the rear wing/sill.

Still up for trying it is obviously up to you though its your choice.

Guest Kit

afaik the one way to do it properly is with a dimma kit or spacers and rolling/flaring the arches

Baz

Way too big, ruin the handling. Why not go back to 247mm, plenty good enough and 13's will fit over.

Stu

You guys have pretty summed up what i thought regarding the 17's. :unsure:

Thing is Baz, im running a 285mm setup with 1144's and they are simply just awesome, the amount of things i can reel in under braking is unreal; id miss that.. :)

Looks like i need to keep on looking then..

Batfink

the size of your disk does not change your braking distance, moving that caliper further out is changing the leverage at the pedal end.

A smaller disk will run hotter so you might need to run a different pad compound.

Your better braking is really down to the slicks. When my brother ran his rallye on Yoko AO48's he could outbrake most things with standard brakes and disks (until the temperatures got too much for the pads)

Stu
the size of your disk does not change your braking distance, moving that caliper further out is changing the leverage at the pedal end.

A smaller disk will run hotter so you might need to run a different pad compound.

Your better braking is really down to the slicks. When my brother ran his rallye on Yoko AO48's he could outbrake most things with standard brakes and disks (until the temperatures got too much for the pads)

Yeah i get that, ive looked at the 247 option with carbon metallic pads or whatever, 1166's 1155's etc, the reason im loathed to change is that its a nearly new setup that is good on the road without the need to get mega temps into the pads; something i feel id have to do if i switched to a 247 setup to get comparable performance on track.

Perhaps you guys are right, theres a few people running this setup with good results, and i daresay if i was to try it out it'd be a different story, but for now, its better the devil you know.

Pads are (relatively) cheap, it works ok from cold, so its win/win for me.

Just need some bloody slicks! :lol:

VisaGTi16v

247mm here with Mintex 1155's and it stops very well with 13" slicks. I use 1.6 calipers and F*** XR2 wheels which need 6mm spacer if using 1.6 hubs and 10mm spacer if using 1.9 hubs retaining the 1.6 calipers. Couldn't get the 1.9 calipers to fit under without going silly with spacers. Standard Visa 13" alloys have a bit more room but not much and they are half a kilo heavier than the F***'s which are also 1/2" wider hence I use them

Sign in to follow this