• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johny105_y2k

Engine Block Paint

johny105_y2k

as above basically, all the engines we get at work are painted just wondering what type of paint do i need? i know high heat but how high

seen

this on ebay

but its only rated to 150C now i know it surely must need to be higher,. anybody used any? if so where from?

cheers johny

Veero

Why would it need to be higher than 150*c? If the block's getting that hot something must be wrong. I used hamemrite on my Mi block:

DSC00641.jpg

Been good for 2 years and 10,000 miles even with a leaky oil pressure sensor.

johny105_y2k

dont know really , just assumed it'd need to be super high temp.

did you use any primer or anything ????

Veero

Nope, to be honest I was doing a bit of a rush/bodge job to get it built in time. I just made sure the block was cleaned properly with Gunk to make sure there was no oil on it. I think the place I took the block to to check the crankshaft bearing seats chemical cleaned it all too. Just masked everything up and gave it a few light coats of hammerite, or it may have been something else.

Actually now I think about it I think it was specific engine block paint but it wasn't super high temperature rated like exhaust manifold paint is. It was about £4 a tin from my local motorfactor if I remember right and rated to about 100*C tops. Not that the block shoudl get even that hot, after all the coolant is there to keep it all cool, relatively.

As it happens the paint has lasted really well even with expsosure to elements/oil/petrol etc. It's not bubbling or peeling anywhere yet.

Edited by Veero

johny105_y2k

ah well thankyou for that, will be painting mine before its fitted. unsure of what coloutr though ... hmmmm.....

thankyou greatly

Retro Pug

Ive just bought some engine paint from FROST, meant to be very good. Can't coment yet though not used yet.

I know some of the guys on here use plasticote with no problems, I'll be trying that too.

Veero

Don't go for black. It might look pimp but if you get an oil leak it will be a bitch to locate. Silver I reckon is the best clour, more natural metal colour plus you can see instantly where a leak is coming from. While you're at it do the gearbox too, I really really wish I'd done mine when I painted my engine. It will look s*it hot with a nice clean painted block and gearbox.

johny105_y2k
Don't go for black. It might look pimp but if you get an oil leak it will be a bitch to locate. Silver I reckon is the best clour, more natural metal colour plus you can see instantly where a leak is coming from. While you're at it do the gearbox too, I really really wish I'd done mine when I painted my engine. It will look s*it hot with a nice clean painted block and gearbox.

will do then. just hope i remember to take some picys.

Redtop

On the subject of engine blocks. Has anyone got any ideas as to how I can get my engine block back to an original cast look without resorting paint? Ive just finished doing my gearbox but can't do the engine block the same way as this:([i blasted the casing].

DSC00785Medium.jpg

Ive been told about a product de-carb77 that some engine tunners use. Anyone had any experience with it? I just want the outside to have a 'fresh cast' look.

johny105_y2k

dont think anything will get it to that finish without a sandblast.

please feel free to prove me wrong though

johny105_y2k
Ive just bought some engine paint from FROST, meant to be very good. Can't coment yet though not used yet.

I know some of the guys on here use plasticote with no problems, I'll be trying that too.

just had a looksy and i was that impressed i've ordered some alliminium enamel.

hope i'm right in thinking aliminium is silver:rolleyes:

damien

do you use a rattle can or a brush for painting the engine?

i went to my local halfords and they only had rattle can engine paint and that was £9 odd a can

johny105_y2k

i'd use a brush, well i am going to anyway.

its a lot cheaper on flebay for rattle cans

Retro Pug
just had a looksy and i was that impressed i've ordered some alliminium enamel.

hope i'm right in thinking aliminium is silver:rolleyes:

Good job!

Let me know how you get on.

Atari Boy

painted20bottom20end.jpg

Brushed on engine paint, £4 a tin iirc.

Veero

I used a rattle can but with a brush you won't need to mask so much up.

pete1986

Atari Boy - Can you remember what paint you used? Im gonna be doing mine when the engine is out next week, and thats the kind of look i want. :D

What about the cam cover?

I had mine painted (powder coated i think) last year but now its flaking off. Would the same kind of paint be ok? Something like Tetrosyl Engine Laquer?

Atari Boy

I have lent the paint to a mate as he is rebuilding a block too, sorry I will check with him.

I do know it came from Wilco, I painted the the rocker cover and head too.

enginebat20_01_08.jpg

craig f90

Frosts sell engine paints. Halfords sell various colours of VHT paint, but its pricey. £20ish.

Atari Boy
Atari Boy - Can you remember what paint you used? Im gonna be doing mine when the engine is out next week, and thats the kind of look i want. :lol:

What about the cam cover?

I had mine painted (powder coated i think) last year but now its flaking off. Would the same kind of paint be ok? Something like Tetrosyl Engine Laquer?

I just checked, I used Tetrosyl Engine Lacquer.

welshpug

same here, used the blue and red.

also used bog standard spray paint without a problem (peugeot platinum silver :lol: )

Ricardo

When I painted air cooled ngines I used satin black engine laquer as this dissipates heat best. But probably not as important on water cooled.

johny105_y2k

well its been a while... but its done with the ally colour from frost motor sport .

before

DSC00414.jpg

after

DSC00438.jpg

what do you rekon then ?

i'd of prefered a finish like atari boys but its obviousley different paint. ....

better than before though

johny

Edited by johny105_y2k

pete1986

Looks good mate. I wish i did mine now, simply couldnt be arsed when the time came. Ahh bugger!

jord294

good old hammerite :)

from this

post-11467-1227549178_thumb.jpg

to this

post-11467-1227549225_thumb.jpg

Sign in to follow this