• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave G

205 1.8 Diesel Problem

Dave G

Hey all just wanted to pick peoples brains on here.

have my 1.8 diesel daily driver. not had it that long but ive noticed that when the car is on a steep hill(pointing up hill) that the car wont start once turned off until it it put back on the level or a lower gradient.

at first i put it down to low on diesel but it does it with a brimmed tank.

im spending some time on it saturday but just wonder is anyone else had experienced the same.

thanks all

welshpug

has it had any work on the engine recently? or has it been doing this for a while?

I would check the Priming bulb if fitted, the one way valve in them deteriorate and allow fuel to travel back down to the tank.

also check the injector leakoff pipes, these can also cause problems similar to the one above.

Dave G

yeah i had to put an engine in it whihc i had spare to make it my daily run around, the original source of the engine never suffered with anything like this but the removed engine had the pump recently rebuilt and im wondering it is the manual primer on the fuel filter that it letting the air past as this is the original for the car and might of prompted the last owner to have had the work done on the pump by mistake.

Any one got a good diesel fuel primer like the one on the drivers side turret in this pichttp://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/Davey_G_Album/03072008080.jpg(type with the canister filter attached, not newer in line style)

Edited by Dave G

dirtdog

that's a 309 engine mate? how come your using a GTi style header? I must say...looks awfuly clean for a diesel!

my fuel filter and primer pump isn't over that side with my 205 :) , although yes it's the same style primer

vern

I had a similar problem, if you pump the prime bulb does it then start?, if so it is the thin pipes that connect the injectors, get some new pipe and replace. I struggled for 4 years with this problem, before finaly finding the soultion.

Dave G

dirt dog, thats good to know, yeah i spent a hour on it prepping it up before putting it back in, made it nice and easy to replace and clean unlike the previous engine.

ver, will change the leak off pipes tomorrow, took another look today, and it looks likeeither the filter assembly is letting air in to let the fuel post filter/pre pump to drain back on the gradient or it could be the leak off pipes like you say

Dave G

Done the leak of pipes today and checked all injectors with brake pipe spanner etc.

alos had the seats up and put new clips on the hoses on the tank pick up and the on under the car just to be sure.

going to try isolating the fuel heater after ive seen if what ive already done has cured it just incase befoe i rebuild the primer

Dave G

thanks for that mate very interesting,

Dave G

Quick update.

Ordered up new leak of pipes from local stealership and went to collect today only to be handed a bag full of coolant hoses, so I will try again next week, Can only see one slight weap on the injector to return from pump but will do them anyway.

So i got the car in the air at work and noticed that the larger fitting on the fuel heater is loose. Wasnt able to by pass it as the two pipes had different internal diameters but i will be looking at this on monday(any one had this or what have people used to by pass the heater etc)

Dave G

Done leak of pipes, injector to pump was weaping at the injector and the one from 2 to 3 injector under the intake pipe from the air box was cracked badly.

Also bypassed the fuel heater. fabricated a section with lips on the end as the pipes are of different gauage that come out fo the fuel heater and go in to the fuel heater.

So far so good, tried it in places that it previously had fail to start so fingers crossed.

And it seems to pick up alot better aswell which is a bonus, thanks again guys

Sign in to follow this