• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Spiky

Radiator Wiring

Spiky

ok there is a low and high speed and i understand the resistor makes it low speed

so if i removed the resistor i have two high speed yeah?

so i remove the wire to the high speed will it work at ALL temperatures?

or does the high speed one kick in and shut off the slow speed one?

or does it need both for the high to work??

only asking as i want the rad to turn the fans on if hot (which it currenly does) but i also want to be able to turn them on from inside, so as going to use the second wire to send 12v to from the feed from the rad switch

so either me or the rad switch can turn the fans on :D

pug_ham

If you remove the resisitor you'd have either no fans or just one high speed at any temp which would switch it on.

As standard its a single fan so obviously the high speed over-rides the low speed, not as if a single fan can run at two speeds at once.

Don't know if it need the low working for the high to work but if you have a car wired up as standard its easy enough to check.

Graham.

Grim.Badger

Without the resistor it will run at high speed when it gets hot, just cut out the resistor and connect the two big fat wires iirc. If you need I can check my car as I don't run a resistor anymore.

Edit: Just checked my car and I can confirm that you can remove the resitor, just connect the thick white and thick blue wires and the fan will come on at high speed when it would normally come on at low speed, and stay on high speed.

Edited by Grim.Badger

Anthony

Easiest/best way of doing what you're trying to achieve in my opinion is to adapt a diesel relay'd fan setup for use with a single fan, and then it's very easy to have high-speed fan kicking in lower down and to have a manual override without having to wire high-current cabling/switch into the cabin.

Spiky
Easiest/best way of doing what you're trying to achieve in my opinion is to adapt a diesel relay'd fan setup for use with a single fan, and then it's very easy to have high-speed fan kicking in lower down and to have a manual override without having to wire high-current cabling/switch into the cabin.

i much prefer that idea

will i need a 205 diesel sensor? or any diesel sensor?

Anthony

The thermoswitches are the same as most non-aircon Peugeot and Citroen's - the only thing to be wary of is that the connector changed around 1990 or so. I personally use the purple-banded thermoswitch which switches the fan on just past halfway on the gauge (92 degrees if I recall).

Adapting the diesel relay setup (or building a relay'd fan loom from scratch) is pretty easy - if you get stuck, let me know and I'll do you a quick wiring diagram, or if you ask nicely I'll make one and post it for a couple of beers B)

Spiky

ok cheers, i'll go get a early fan switch then B)

as for the wiring, much appreciate the offer, but i should be ok with all that :)

Anthony
ok cheers, i'll go get a early fan switch then B)

If you're buying another switch and changing the fan wiring anyway, I'd swap to the later style switch - usually easier/cheaper to source as they're the same on 306's and the like, and they've got a proper clip on connector rather than the rubbish earlier style one. The thread/fitment into the radiator is exactly the same - it's just the wiring connector that differs.

Spiky

ah cool,

i have gti6 loom here thats been cut up, so i can use one of the plugs from that B)

nice little weekend job for me :)

welshpug

gti6 radiator wiring loom won't have the right plug for the fan switch, but you could use the rest of the loom to control the fans.

Spiky

no i meant, i have a gti engine loom, which must have a plug that fits B)

welshpug

Doh! Knock/Crank/Cam/speed sensors would be the ones to try then B)

Spiky
B)

Garry

I take it this is the low speed resistor?

So, all I need to do is joint the blue wire to the white wire and the resistor is then by passed, meaning full speed fans when needed.

th_121008104.jpg

jackherer

Follow the wiring back to check it goes to the fan, by the look of it I think thats the dim dip headlight resistor.

pug_ham

Garry, thats the cooling fan resistor so I'd guess the thick white & thick blue wire Hugh mentions are the ones at that plug.

Keiran, doesn't the dim-dip resistor have a small length of wire between the resistor to the brown plug?

Graham.

jackherer

You're right, that is the fan resistor. Nonetheless its very easy to check where it goes to be 100% sure.

Super Josh
doesn't the dim-dip resistor have a small length of wire between the resistor to the brown plug?

Yep :blush:

Josh

Garry

Thanks chaps.

I have another resistor just like the one in the picture, which is for the headlights instead.

Sign in to follow this