• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Rippthrough

[misc_work] Still Nothing To Do With 205's...

dcc

that guy just appeard from nowhere!

Rippthrough

He's a swamp monster!

Two different runs, here's the not-fast-enough-and-landed-short picture to match the second!

bridge.jpg

And another run...

IMG_6544-1.jpg

Edited by Rippthrough

Rippthrough

2 days of racing this time around, lovely Sunday, absolutely pissed it down today - cars were struggling to get up the hill to get to service, n'mind out on the course!

Also, had a slight incident on the very first lap involving a concrete fence post...

Whoops!

Rippthrough

Well, this was Sunday morning....

Startline1.jpg

And it still looked shiny on Monday morning after a day of racing:

Startline2.jpg

One lap later it looked like this...

SundayMud.jpg

Rippthrough

Still having issues with the scanner so had to resort back to taking pictures of pictures again...hence the flare from the lights (and the cut off top on one, whoops!

I've only took a few of them, I'll get some more pictures up when the scanner is sorted out, the rest are more of the same - most of the wheels in the air as per usual :D

All from Walters or Waterbeach.

WaterbeachWoods2.jpg

WaterbeachOffRunway2.jpg

WaterbeachOffRunway1.jpg

WaterBeachMotox.jpg

Walters3.jpg

Walters2.jpg

Walters1.jpg

WaterbeachWoods3.jpg

Rippthrough

That busy posting video and pictures I forgot to list the results. 1st in class again (in fact the only 2wd that finished), 7th overall in the awdc results, and, because we've been fairly consistant in pace through the events, we're now 3rd overall in the championship. Long way to go yet but we're hoping if we can hold off on the big upgrades whilst winter (new front suspension in the works) and just concentrate on current suspension setup and reliability mods, then we might be able to hold station there and end up with a podium, with a lot of luck....

Rippthrough

Right, had the rear dampers apart and put in some more low speed rebound - to compensate for the friction lost with the new rear suspension - and also put some more compression damping in the range for landing over jumps, as it's a touch soft at the back at the minute. Sounds simple but it was a pain in the arse :lol:

See how it fairs this time out - probably tweak the fronts a bit to match but we'll see how it goes first.

Two new aluminium plates ordered for the sump and gearbox guards too as we've worn a hole in them...

And two new mudguards, give the hole in the rear one from firing a rock through it off the rear tyre, and the post incident with the front one!

Rippthrough

Terminal damage to the engine this weekend, managed to limp it back around a few more stages and secured 12th, but it might be season over.

Just got the bloody overall results through too - moved up to second in championship and only 3pts behind 1st, doh!

kyepan

WaterbeachWoods2.jpg

love that photo, sorry to hear about your engine

Rippthrough

Managed to get a bare engine block cheap and swap everything over, missed an event due to work however :(

Headed to SevenOaks this weekend though, few issues again, that's what you get when you've not got anywhere big enough to test it - car misfiring badly when it got warm, which meant we took a maximum penalty time early on for not completing a stage.

Think it was down to a couple of failing coils, however, we didn't have enough spare coils to replace them all and completely get rid of the issue, but we got it better and good enough to run around all day, albeit still with a misfire and about 40bhp down from a reduced rev limit to preserve the engine/coils.

Apart from that, it was an absolutely fantastic course, with something for everyone - some faster stuff through a couple of fields, plenty of lanes through forests, turning into tight tree-dodging sections (which the new suspension and fiddle brakes on our car were fantastic, I don't think there could have been anything much faster through them), and then some nice narrow flowing tarmac and gravel sections back through the forests again. Think it's up there for one of the best events we've been to. :)

It also gave a great proving ground for some alterations to the brakes and the suspension work, and they were flawless all day, so at least the rest of the car is about where it needs to be now, on pure laptimes we weren't all that far behind the podium guys even with the dicky engine, which was encouraging.

Pity about the engine as it's cost us any chance of regaining a podium this year, but that can be sorted and it's proven the rest of the upgrades anyway.

However, since the engine was playing silly buggers anyway, we spent half the day giving passenger rides, which judging by the grinning faces when they got out went well :lol:

Hopefully we can still hang on to some more points at the next event after sorting the engine, and make sure we get a single figure race number for next year :D

We did get the highest jump over a bump in the field though ;)

Rippthrough

Incar video from Rick here, great course

dcc

that looks bloody mental! poor ol' engine block didnt know what it was in for!

Rippthrough

:lol:

We were a touch quicker through the tight tree sections than that but obviously slower over the faster stuff, what with the engine problem and not having as much power as Rick's car anyway.

welshpug

any way to improve on the components in the engine management or are they inherent issues youre stuck with due to being a rotary?

Rippthrough

I'm eyeing up a conversion to some D585 ignitiion coils at the moment, which are still good for 10krpm and put out about 4 times the power of the Mazda ones, cope with more heat too, which I think is the issue we're having with the stock coils, underbonnet temperatures are immense on some courses if you start slogging up a muddy hill at full throttle for a minute or so.

Probably swap the 10" fan on one side of the rad for another 16" fan just to get more airflow over the engine block and components too.

Been playing with he injection angles in the DTA as well to try to get most of the fuel shot straight over the side seals as the port is closing, should keep them a bit cooler and get more of the 2-stroke oil there.

There's also the option of using peripheral exhaust ports as well as the side ports to direct more heat away from the side seal springs, might rebuild one of the engines like that and see how it goes.

Edited by Rippthrough

Rippthrough

Next event is at Minehead on the 25th of September, map here for any locals that fancy it:

http://awdc.co.uk/index.php?view=ven...list&Itemid=68

It's a tight a twisty course usually running up the side of the hill through the forest and then dropping back out into the field at the bottom for the finish/service area. Since we've no chance of a podium this year now we'll probably be doing passenger rides most of the day, provided we've fixed it!

Cameron

I can't believe I've only just discovered this! :lol:

Awesome thread and a really interesting read right from the start! When's the V10 gonna be ready? :P

Rippthrough

V10 is having some alterations to the chassis due to some new rulings the french have introduced, plus some cooling work for the engine/rear diff which, should be out at the Plaines et Vallees TT at the end of November.

Edited by Rippthrough

kyepan

love the video, utterly awesome.

Cameron

Have you got any pics of it? :D

Rippthrough

Have you got any pics of it? :D

Thought I'd posted some :huh:

Must be going senile:

GSR31stOct09013.jpg

iPhone035.jpg

maturin23

Drool :)

feb

Great work, you must have balls of steel driving it through the forest like this! It must be mental but good fun nonetheless!

A while ago a collegue showed me a similar video of his friend's 500 bhp Pajero that did 0-60 in around 5s IIRC.

Edit: now I see what you were not really impressed with the car with the completely independent suspension I posted a while ago...

Edited by feb

Rippthrough

Edit: now I see what you were not really impressed with the car with the completely independent suspension I posted a while ago...

:lol:

I do have a suspension fetish I'll admit...nothing particularly fancy on the V10 though, just simple and robust, had to be designed around using the same wishbones left/right and front to rear to allow carrying less spares in the event of walloping one on a rock.

Edited by Rippthrough

Cameron

Awesome! Wish I did this stuff for a living! :lol: