• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
timmsy19

Laserline 996 Alarm

timmsy19

right got a slight issue im hoping somone can help.

had a small issue with it for ages now when i arm the alarm it will go off every 10 mins but now i just disconect the battery till i get it looked into

bascily came home saturday night after a 200 mile round trip parked the car on the drive. left the battery connected and didnt lock the doors.

anyhow come out the next morning to start the car and get power on first and second click of the ignition. on the thrid click where it would normally start first time it decided just to cut all power to everything

the light was on but i disarmed the alarm again and all alarm lights went off

thing is there seems like no power to the starter motor. is this the imobaliser kicking in or is it a dead starter motor?

any help would be great seeing as its just passed its mot after being off the road the last 3 years drove it for 1 day and now its not working again

hengti

i had one of these in mine and it was endless trouble, although i don't remember it ever immobilising the engine

have you the half-moon reset key? and the instruction booklet with the fault codes in it?

ed. the problem you've got with the alarm triggering will likely be the ultrasonics - you can disable them and/or adjust their sensitivity iirc. mine was warranteed and it went for its annual health checks and, more often than not, i had the ultrasonics control unit renewed every year - it was that bad

ed2. it's all coming back to me like a bad dream! you can also reset things by holding down the lock/unlock button on the key fob for about 20 seconds - also worth a go

anyway, let me know what you've tried - might be able to help. probably still got the wretched instruction booklet somewhere, too - if you haven't

Edited by hengti

Tom Fenton

Could well be just a dead starter. All the lights on the dash do go out when you turn the key to "crank".

welshpug

I've got a 291i, which I think is a more recent version of the 996 that was taken out (which was installed back in 1992!!!)

All depends how its been wired in, mine just cuts fuel and ignition IIRC, doesnt cut the starter.

timmsy19

right i just tried the above and still nothing

i have the dash fob, 1 alarm fob and one alarm key. this is the only set of instructions i have:

http://www.laserlinedirect.com/public/docu..._USER_GUIDE.pdf

only thing is the alarm arms and disarms as it should still nothing from the third click of the ignition

thing is when i went to fill up with petrol the other day it did the same thing. took keys out, filled up, paid for petrol came back and same thing happened. disconnected battery waiting 10 seconds reconnected and off i went. also did it friday night.

im starting to think its the starter motor just got getting anything or totally dead?

Edited by timmsy19

GLPoomobile

Simple way to rule out immobiliser fault - put key in and turn to 2nd position, now use a length of wire to bridge the starter solenoid to the battery +. If it turns but won't even attempt to fire, you are immobilised. If it fires, you've got duff wiring to the solenoid. If it does nothing, then you've got a dead starter/duff solenoid.

I had a problem with my Avital going off as soon as I locked the car. Turned out the bonnet sensor was bent so was not breaking contact when I shut the bonnet, so kept seeing it as an intrusion.

hengti

have you checked the terminal's tight/clean at the starter?

mine would often not start but it would always fire the starter solenoid - problem being something to do with current drop over the immobiliser wiring which i did eventually have fixed

timmsy19
Could well be just a dead starter. All the lights on the dash do go out when you turn the key to "crank".

yep lights all go out on the dash bar the dash lumination if i have the lights on, also the fuel pump stops. (ive had to bypass the fuel pump from imobaliser already so always on when ignition on untill engine ticks over)

Edited by timmsy19

steve@cornwall

To be honest this sounds like a loose battery terminal connection - sure you tightened it up properly last time?

timmsy19

well it was a loose starter motor connection. the blade terminal was so old its worked its way loose so had to crimp it slightly for it to stay on

thanks for the help all.

on the other note. anyone know how i go about stopping the the bonnet sensor and adjusting the cabin ultra sonics to not be so sensitive?

GLPoomobile

Disabling sensors should be possible through the system (covered in the instructions?) but adjusting the ultrasonics may not be user adjustable.

But to disable my bonnet sensor (until I fit a new plunger) I just unplugged the wire and insulated the end with tape. It has to earth to set off the alarm, so isolate it from earth and it's done.

RonnieG

A lot of older alarm control units have small adjustable screws on them in order to adjust the sensitivity of the internal sensors.

Worth tracing the wires back to locate your control unit & see if it has adjustable sensitivity.

hengti

now i think on, i think mine was adjusted by the guys who fitted it - not to say you can't do that yourself somehow though.

it's worth ensuring that the air circulation system is closed whenever you leave the car, as differences in internal/external pressure can set it off. failing that, just disable the ultrasonics until you can fix it

hoping yours won't be as much of a problem as mine was!

timmsy19

well i know where the control box is and it has 6 small flip switches numbered 1-6

hengti do you have that instruction/instalation manual?

hengti

found it and had a quick scan - it doesn't detail adjusting the sensitivity of the ultrasonics; sorry

only had a quick look at that link you posted but it does seem to be similar info. you're welcome to this booklet, though, if you'd like it (just PM me your address)

good luck with it

Sign in to follow this