• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mad_dome

205 Gti6 0-60?

mad_dome

Hi everyone tryed doing a search but no joy! i am just wundering what is the 0-60 and 0-100 of the gti6 engine in a 205 and does the gearbox hav much to do with this??? for example 1.6 gearbox? 1.9 gearbox??? and the gti6 gearbox whats peoples times??

cheers

GTI6BOY

Bout 5 1/2 - 6 secs for a standard 205 6, dependant on box

mad_dome

what box is best then? as i am going for the gti6 gearbox hope this is the right choice!!

Bakes100

Have the 6 speed box on mine which has great ratios, the only disadvantage is the lack of lock which takes a while to get used to, but once you worked it out you will love it.

Get 6.1 seconds to 60 in mine, thats with ditchfinders on the front and also some mechanical sympathy.

Baz

Not again... :lol:

NeilGTi85

I've got a 1.6 box on mine with lsd and my 60ft times were 2.5 which is quite good :lol: 1/4 - 14.7 sec's

But to be honest For a road car its not so good, Im thinking or getting a MI/VTS box or just replacing the 5th.

Neil

platty
Not again... :lol:

:lol:

Although, I was interested :)

mad_dome

sounds cool guys i think il go with the 6 speed!! im just woundering weather or not its worth changeing the inlet cam?? anybody shed sum light on this? what sort of effect this will have on the 0-60 times cheers again!

Alastairh

Probably the same effect as laying the rear seats flat...

mad_dome

ha ha i ent got any rear seats so it might help ha

GTI6BOY

we fitted a 6 box on a mates car and 2 weeks later had to change it as he hated the turning circle (or lack of)

mad_dome

yea so how bad is the lock then? which way does it effect the turning lock????

yea so how bad is the lock then? which way does it effect the turning lock????

DanteICE

just learn handbrake turns, job done!

mad_dome

realy that bad? qwestion is??? is it worth haveing the 6 speed? and does it effect the drive of the car or just when parking e.t e.t???

DanteICE

It's really just the parking in my opinion, you never do full turns when driving normally and it's only one way (is it turning right, can't remember). Its because the gearbox is slightly longer and sticks out a bit into the arch way of the nearside wheel.

The 6-Speed Box in my opinion is a very good box with perfect ratios, the 1.6 box when used in the wet or a slight incline will spin very easily imo (don't shout at me people), infact read this:

http://www.205gti.com/techgearboxUK.htm

Edited by DanteICE

mad_dome

i think i can live with that then!! cheers guys!

DanteICE

Edited my above post^

You will need to alter your steering rack so that it stops before the wheel hits the gearbox.

I'm sure i've heard someone say jubilee clip works or something, don't quote me on that!

GTI6BOY

You will not be able to do a u turn round a mini roundabout, it will be a 3 point turn

Edited by GTI6BOY

Bakes100

My right lock gets over 3/4 of a turn on standard 1.9 alloys with 309 bones (if they make any difference)

jackherer

Turning right is the problem, the leading edge of the left wheel hits the end of the box. Personally I really like the ratios and think they more than make up for the steering loss, its one of those things that are down to personal preference. I have NEVER had a problem with a mini roundabout, apart from parking the only issue I have had was getting out of a tight car park entrance once but the next time I went there I just approached it a bit differently and got round in one go.

mojo1997

I have both a standard 205 Gti 1.9 and a 306 GTI-6, and understand what people are saying regarding the steering lock with a Gti-6 g/box. The ratio's are spot on for the 6 engine but the steering lock does get on my tits when parking/turning in tight spots (does may you look like you can't drive when your have to shuffle in and out of tight space's).

As previously stated its all down to personnal preference, I mostly do town driving so it can become quite annoying. But on the other hand if the car was a track weapon the lack of steering lock wouldn't be a problem.

pete1986

I remember reading about a way around this steering lock problem. Was it by using 309 front setup or maybe just using 1.6 hubs? Surely with a wider track it will delay the front wheel hitting the gearbox thus giving more steering lock...

taylorspug

1.6 hubs do help yes.

mad_dome

my 205 will be my main driveing car once it is up and running because me jeep is just purely for fun on those boaring rainy days. so il b mainly driveing round the town but think the lack of steering sounds worth it so il stick with the 6 speed!!! Also when ur shimmying backwords and forwords and people are looking at u most will say look at that classic car!!!..................shame he cant drive it ha ha :D

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this