• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sss_205GTI

Standard Or Tweeked?

sss_205GTI

Where do you guys stand in the good old debate?

When i was younger my first car was lucky enough for it to be a 205 1600 gti, that my brother brought but couldnt insure :P. I was into the after market wheels (not a stupid size though, and ones that complimented the cars looks) and putting clear indicators on everything - even the red reflector boot panel (is that standered in CTis?) Saying that, it was all on the car when i brought it, but hey, i liked it that way and kept it that way.

Although now, alittle more grown up and alittle less money avalible to spend on me, i appriciate trying to keep a vehicle, such as the "classic" gti, standard LOOKING. Orange indicators and all :lol:

Ofcourse ill upgrade components such as suspension, that will benefit the handling and longevity of the car.

Does that mean im in the middle, do the purists think keeping a car standard, should mean 100%, or do you agree that older cars need upgrading and cars such as the gti, being a drivers car should be helpeddelivering in those stakes

jimistdt

Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder. Like you I generally like standard cars and always appreciate a concourse 205, exactly as it was intended when it left the factory, but in reality these cars get used, they get old they need bits replacing and sometimes it makes more sense to upgrade the worn parts. I think your probably like most on here, in the middle but leaning towards purism.

Jimi :P

damien

like everything in life theres room for improvement, as long as its tastful

shalmaneser

I would never dream of adding any external bits to my GTI. I really like the phase 1.5 looks anyway, before i bought it i was thinking about 'upgrading' to phase 2 spec, but now i love my orange indicators, and end up thinking phase 2's look a bit rubbish with their 'chavvy' clear lenses :lol:. Only thing i don't like is the exhaust, which makes it looks like a diesel IMO. 30mm drop also toughens it up too.

Only visual mod i would consider is 1.9 alloys, I really do think they look better and I also will deffo be running bigger brakes in the future, so the standard 1.6 wheels are out. I do love the look of the pepperpots as well though.

Mechanically however it's a free for all. The lines and style are classic, as is the interior (although I'd like to get a nice set of good condition half leathers...phase 1.5 red and black check, obviously) but mechanically its all go. already got 1.9 calis and uprated discs and pads, next on the list will be a K&N with proper DIY cold air feed, then an exhaust, then a manifold, then who knows? Can't decide on a turbo, MI or GTI6...uprated shocks and springs, bushes, the list goes on...

Rob Thomson

After previously owning a fairly well sorted 309 Mi16 and 106 Rallye stage rally car, my 1.6 GTi is very nearly completing its rebuild and will essentially be completely standard and that's how it will be staying.

In life everything's a compromise, but I've realised over the years that car manufacturers are very good at defining the right sort of balance between, say, handling and ride comfort, or road holding and progression approaching the limit. To me the standard 205 has a more or less perfect chassis for use on public roads. My 106 had 'all the right bits' suspension wise, but was absolutely horrible to drive on the road. Ok, that made it a better rally car but I only did half a dozen ralllies a year... the rest of the time it just sat on the drive unused because I hated driving it.

I'd love to be able to spend £30k or whatever on a perfect track/stage 205; proper beautifully prepared shell with Proflex suspension and all the rest. But that's never going to happen and if I can't have that I'd rather have standard.

And, looking back, I used to look like a right tit driving to Tesco in a 309 with a cage.

platty
And, looking back, I used to look like a right tit driving to Tesco in a 309 with a cage.

Thats concerning me also.

For a daily drive, I think standard, with sensible suspension/engine mods. But for a weekend toy, the sky's the limit, although I'd leave the cosmetic's well alone(well, maybe a Zender valence).

Moz_Goodwood

id never do anything inside or external to my motor (cosmetic) but performance, engine, suspension etc the skies the limit

Baz

Standard looks for me, any mods under the skin. :lol:

kilauea

Deffo standard looks - it's such a pert little car I can't see anything improving it. Mines lowered but only around 30mm.

I've set about replacing interior trim to get it as close to perfect as I can. I replaced the plasticky ph1.5 steering wheel with a later leather one, but other than that its standard.

I think mine would ride very well as a road car, but for the grp N top mounts and solid rear mounts. It's still not bad at all, but a little more compliancy and reduced noise would make it perfect for the road. Given its going be out on track, I am happy to compromise a bit.

GLPoomobile

I'm sort of in the middle. I certainly prefer the OE look compared to bodykitted things though (some look good, but not many).

My problem is that I find it hard to resist the concept of improving something over it's original design. I keep thinking how nice it would be to have a totally standard, just as Pug intended, 1.6 GTI one day. But then I start thinking it would be nicer without the archaic Jetronic management, so that has to go, but everything else would be standard. But then I do like solid rear beam mounts. So modern engine management and solid beams mounts, but everything else OE. Oh, but what about braided brake lines? And then I know that the original suspension is probably best for B roads, but I can't bare the tractor ride height, and surely some really pricey kit like Ohlins or something must be able to improve on the OE standard? And on and on the train of thought goes until my fantasy, factory standard 1.6 GTI ends up being nothing like Pug intended :D

It's a similar thing with the looks. Again I like them best when standard, but I also like PTS stripes, auto bonnets, and black speedlines (on some colours). I really like orange front and side indicators on red GTIs, and to a lesser extent on black ones, but can't stand them on the other colours, particularly white. I hate grey trim, and I'm not keen on Ph1/1.5 tailights. So I'd really like a Ph1.5 red GTI with orange front indicators, black trim, and Ph2 tail lights, but I know that it's not a combination for the purists. Part of me would feel a bit silly for driving a Heinz 57 type creation, yet it's no different to any other modifications we make so why should one feel silly about not keeping to the correct phase spec? You soon start getting in to the JDM anally obsessive territory then (and what the hell does JDM Yo! mean anyway? :blush: ).

welshpug

JapaneseDomesticMarket, usually the special stuff the EU doesn't get, like the 4 door Civic type R, several Subaru Impreza and Legacy special editions etc.

GLPoomobile

I know what JDM means, you fud! :D

What's all this JDM Yo! bulls*it about that has been going around for the last few years?

Peetypug

for me i dont think there's anything nicer than a completely standard looking 205 gti.

There's just something about them that i love the look of more than any other car.

If i won the lottery tomorrow i'd have one fully stripped and rebuilt in standard form

I'm putting the orange indicators and standard rear lights back on mine.

Then it'll be lowered 30mm with my gti6 engine sat in the engine bay.

BERTMAN

i always do suspension, brakes and engine modifications first... then go for subtle modifications but i still like to make my car completly different to everyone elses... '1 of a kind', kind of thing, hence why i thought id put an S16 in an XS... its hardly been done :)... i only know of 1 or 2 others?

Edited by BERTMAN

notamondayfan

Am I the only one that loves a dimma?

To be honest the 205 is pretty nice car to look at in standard form, and I wouldnt change anything on the outside, but the speakers are a bit wank, the stereo probably needs changing and of courses theres the engine and suspension :)

shalmaneser

^ not a fan of the dimma, still looks too wideboy if you ask me. Anyway, I reckon that the chances of someone else beating Pinifarina at the styling game will be fairly slim.

I always though the 'JDM, Yo!' Think was just a pisstake american thing? As in 'It's got JDM spec bumpers, yo!'

Hmm, that makes no sense now i read it back...

Personally I just like using it to wind people up on Pistonheads....

GLPoomobile
^ not a fan of the dimma, still looks too wideboy if you ask me. Anyway, I reckon that the chances of someone else beating Pinifarina at the styling game will be fairly slim.

I always though the 'JDM, Yo!' Think was just a pisstake american thing? As in 'It's got JDM spec bumpers, yo!'

Hmm, that makes no sense now i read it back...

Personally I just like using it to wind people up on Pistonheads....

The 205 was not designed by Pininfarina, only the CTI was. Your explanation of JDM Yo! does make sense to me ;) And it does seem to be mainly an American thing, but has spread over here in the last year or too.

I didn't used to like Dimmas either, but they are really grwoing on me now. Would rather have a Maxi though :)

pete1986

Dimmas dont get my vote, they look too boy racer-ish. 309 dimmas on the other hand... :)

I am a big fan of keeping 205s styling standard, but i dont see a problem with upgrading to later spec lights, dashboard, 1.9 wheels, etc as they are still parts that Peugeot intended for 205s. If a phase 1 205 had been converted to look like a phase 2, i would still call it standard. However, i have made one small change that isnt standard, i have colour coded the spoiler, i think it is a nice subtle touch. I know alot of people like to colour code the mirrors as well.

I while ago some started complementing my 205, but as soon as i mentioned the mi16 engine he moaned "ahh, you've ruined it....". I do not think that is the case at all. If anything i think the mi16 highly complements the 205 as it is a very raw and fun engine to drive. I agree with what has been said alot here; the sky's the limit with engine/brake/suspension upgrades.

shalmaneser

Hmm, always thought that Pininfarina designed the whole car, but wiki agrees with you - apparently not.

why on earth did they design the softtop? surely it's a matter of lopping the roof off and engineering some rollover protection and a folding fabric roof? What is there to 'style'? Very odd...

Always thought the CTI looked rubbish compaired to the hardtop anyway :lol:

jackherer

Pininfarina manufactured the CTIs as well as designing them. Also they do have significant chassis strengthening etc, its a proper engineering job.

weejp

I'm in the middle leaning towards Purism. The 1.6 I have has the 1.9 alloys and the correct period half leather in it, apart from that it will stay as true to Peugeot's original design. I just prefer the 1.9 wheels and my original cloth interior was totally goosed and thought the only sensible option would be to upgrade it to the same style but in half leather - very happy with the results.

Many people like to upgrade, you can see why, it all personal. My opinion keep it looking period, and you won't go wrong. Just need to get my original Clarion stereo working now......... :lol:

johnsimister

I've always thought the Phase 2 rear lights look horrible. They were designed as a way of updating the 205 with an attempt at a 405-style angled bar across the lens, but the 205's lenses are too small to carry it off and there's no other angled line on the tail for the one on the lens to relate to. It's an unnecessary bit of overstyling. We should be wary of saying 'upgrade' when all we mean is 'change', and IMO the Ph2 lights are a downgrade.

But then I also prefer the original Ph1 dashboard, because that was how Peugeot's original design ideas for the 205 intended it to be. It looks less plasticky and bulky, it has more storage space especially in the glovebox, and you can have the heater fan on with air recirculating which IIRC you can't with the later dash. The Ph1.5/Ph2 rear spoiler is a big improvement over the squashy Ph1 rubber thing, though.

John

jackherer

If you're going down that route I believe the very earliest 205 GTIs had firmer suspension which was softened following customer feedback!

I'm not sure what this involved, I suppose it could be variations in dampers, springs and/or torsion bars, bush materials or anti roll bars. I don't know if the change affected the front or rear or both either.

Jrod
I've always thought the Phase 2 rear lights look horrible. They were designed as a way of updating the 205 with an attempt at a 405-style angled bar across the lens, but the 205's lenses are too small to carry it off and there's no other angled line on the tail for the one on the lens to relate to. It's an unnecessary bit of overstyling. We should be wary of saying 'upgrade' when all we mean is 'change', and IMO the Ph2 lights are a downgrade.

Phase 1 lights are gash! :angry:

Sign in to follow this