• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CaptainP

Head Gasket - Turbo Diesel

Jrod

It was the hand pump, took it apart and got it working, car is now running. :)

RossD

Excellent :)

pug309twin40s

yep 1 405 TD headgasket replaced and all working. :)

Jrod

Not quite all working now though...

When left for a time to restart it is a real bitch, i figured out now if i pump the primer a few times it starts alot easier. There is a small amount of fuel leaking out of one of the injectors, could this let air back in and let the fuel drain away when off causing these problems?

When running its sweet as, except it smells a bit diesely as the fuel leaking.

Also the heater is blowing out such little hot air that im worried its not bled properly, does anyone know ehre the bleed nipples are as we couldnt find any except the top of the rad? Is it hard to change the heater matrix as i think this might be dead/blocked.

Edited by Jrod

welshpug

sounds like the leakoff pipes are knackered, I couldn't get any the right size anywhere but Peugeot :) everywhere said they just do the one size for it, checked servicebox and its a tiny bit narrower.

try parking it pointing downhill, it'll probably start better ;)

there's a couple of bleed points, one in a small hose from the rad to the top corner of the thermostat housing, on the rad itself, and I'm sure somewhere else.

heater matrix on a 405, nearly as bad as the 306...

Jrod

The leak off pipes indeed ar slightly split, so this is likely to be causing it? I was going to replace them as soon as I got some hose. :)

Just had a quick look and the pipes are very wet, will try and replace tomorrow.

As for the bleed nipple on that hose, I can't see it for the life of me? it comes out the bottom of the rad then goes into a T, 1 bit off to the head and the other to the thermostat.

Edited by Jrod

welshpug

yep, they cause loads of trouble on these engines!

Jrod

Pipes replaced, waiting to see if it will start in a hour or 2... :)

pug_ham

This looks like fun, I'm part way through removing my old Lucas pump when I the thought wondering if it could be the headgasket was failing on my STDT popped through my head.

I checked the expansion tank & it was down on fluid but not empty. I've yet to decide if I'm going to do the head gasket as a safety measure while its apart. (saftey as in I can't be bothered to do parts the job twice).

When I've noticed a leak off pipe split on mine I've got the long piece of bleed off pipe that returns to the pump from #4 injector on the lucas pump & cut it to fit. Usually you can get two injector bleed off pipes fromthat one piece of pipe.

Graham.

Jrod

Well its still not sorted, I'm going to try replacing the injector seals and see if that helps as its still leaking from around its base, this is gonna be fun! :D

welshpug

you'll need a special injector socket, its a very deep 27mm one, draper do them.

th_PICT0266.jpg

Jrod

Will a 27mm spanner not do it?

Also its actual leaking between the injector and the bit in the head, not from the actual head itself. looking at service box there is a seal between them which I think may be knackered.

Edited by Jrod

pug_ham
Will a 27mm spanner not do it?

I used a 27mm spannr to remove them when I got the Bosch pump & injectors for my STDT last week so it will work, just you risk killing more bleed off pipes getting the ring end on.

Also its actual leaking between the injector and the bit in the head, not from the actual head itself. looking at service box there is a seal between them which I think may be knackered.

You are supposed to replace a couple of seals inside the injector hole if you removed them;

• 1981 02 04 INJECTOR SEAL DIAM 7,2X13,6-0,4
  • 1981 05 04 INJECTOR SEAL DIAM 15,6X21,2-2,2
  • 1982 04 INJECT PROTECTR DIAM 17,50

I need to see exactly what parts I need for fitting the injectors to my STDT but its only about £22 for all the parts listed above so nothing to worry about.

Graham.

Jrod

I bought a metre of it so have plenty spare! :D

I don't actually know if the injectors were removed, I guess they were but will have to check with Paul.

pug_ham

If it was checked for flatness or skimmed they'll have to have been removed imo to avoid damage or blockage from swarf.

Graham.

Jrod

It was indeed skimmed, quite heavily aswell becuase of corrosion!

pug309twin40s

injectors were left in while cyl head was skimmed.

Jrod

Hmm, that doesnt help me with why its leaking. O well I've ordered new seals from Peugeot so will see where that leads me, if not I think it might be something to do with the filter housing.

I will have to get some clear tube and try to investigate. B)

Tom Fenton
You are supposed to replace a couple of seals inside the injector hole if you removed them;
  • 1981 02 04 INJECTOR SEAL DIAM 7,2X13,6-0,4
  • 1981 05 04 INJECTOR SEAL DIAM 15,6X21,2-2,2
  • 1982 04 INJECT PROTECTR DIAM 17,50

I need to see exactly what parts I need for fitting the injectors to my STDT but its only about £22 for all the parts listed above so nothing to worry about.

I've 4 off 1982.04 here brand new unused in Peugeot bags, bought them for another car but never got around to it and my days of messing with XUD engines are over, if anyone wants them I'll accept 50% of whatever the servicebox price is plus postage to reclaim some of what I paid for them.

Jrod

Well I got my new seals yesterday but havn't fitted them yet.

I replaced some fuel hose today as it was split under the jubilee clip and after 3 hours it started first time... Will wait and see overnight before I get over excited. :)

Jrod

Bastard. :)

pug309twin40s

still no luck?

you replaced the seals on the injectors yet?

Jrod
still no luck?

you replaced the seals on the injectors yet?

Nope, planning to fit them this week.

Jrod

Final update, Injector seals fitted - car starts fine.

Sign in to follow this