• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CaptainP

Head Gasket - Turbo Diesel

CaptainP

The headgasket failed this week on the turbo diesel. Today we have taken the head off and removed the manifold. The position of the manifold bolts are a real b1tch to get at and it looks like you need to be a contortionist to put them back in place. Any advice from anyone that's done this? Or just scuff our knuckles and swear at it a whole load more while putting it back together.

Thanks

Edited by CaptainP

Jrod

Now you've had some practice you can come do mine? :):)

shalmaneser

I did this on a 306 Dturbo.

It's a whore. I hope I never have to do it again. Oh, also, it's quite possible they're not bolts, but are studs. That, too, is a whore.

That will be all.

Pleased to be of some help! :)

DamirGTI

Dunno the layout of the 306 TD engine :) but whenever i have problems fitting manifold bolts/nuts or any other bolts on awkward places where i can't see what aim doing where is tight with little space to work on with my hands and where the nut/bolt can fall out from my fingers i usually use socket of the same size as the bolt/nut and various extensions (longer , shorter , ductile etc.) so that i can reach the area and mount the bolt/nut back .. now to prevent the bolt/nut from falling out off the socket during the accessing and mounting it in the hole or on the stud , first i apply something sticky (clear silicone sealant) inside the socket , then i fit the bolt/nut in the socket coated with sealant and proceed with the job ... try this out :)

Rgs ! B)

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

welshpug

check out what the haynes manual says, I know that some of the bolts you don't have to remove only loosen, been a while since I took the head of a TD in situ, but of what I remember i was thinking it would be easier to take the engine out :) then thought how the hell would I do up the head bolts that tight...

Stu

Im afraid you have to grin and bear it fella, as they are a complete twat of a job. I did a turbo on one once, and i hope never to have to do another one. :)

Engine out for me next time!

jackherer
Im afraid you have to grin and bear it fella, as they are a complete twat of a job. I did a turbo on one once, and i hope never to have to do another one. :)

Engine out for me next time!

I did the turbo on a Xantia TD and I couldn't agree with you more, never again, you don't even have a fast car to look forward to when you're finished.

stuart.m

The answer is yes, you need to be a contortionist. Did a head gasket once on a 205 td and engine out is definetely easier.

Tom Fenton

As others have said, its simply a twat of a job, after having one myself and changing engines and other bits I will never ever do anything past cambelt changes on an XUD9TE engine ever again, horrible horrible thing to work on.

Jrod

Hide this thread from pug309twin40s as he's just agreed to do mine! :)

pug309twin40s
:blush: what have i let my self in for!!

Jrod

Maybe it's easier in a 405....

:blush:

Jrod

photo0001wy3.jpg

Now it just has to go back together.... :)

shalmaneser

lol, will you be offering to do another one FOC in the near future?

:)

Jrod

From what I saw Paul didn't have that hard a time, he said the worst bit was the turbo pipes down the back. Removing the studs from the head was a piece of piss and just let the head come off easily.

CaptainP

Jrod, did he remove the manifold and turbo while it was still on the head? Just interested if that maybe a better way of doing it, than pulling the whole lot of in one go.

Jrod

No,

Left that all in place and just undid the studs from the head, they came out very easily though which I was suprised at, but a nice suprise. :D

Jrod

Well so far so good in the re assembly process, exhaust manifold was a bit of a pain to get back on and one of the studs might of crossthreaded but it all did up so should be fine.

A few bits to do yet (alternator belt, some hoses, coolant etc) I'm left with a part which i've no iodea from where it came, just wondered if anyone has any idea?

photo0009sx0.jpg

photo0008bq5.jpg

welshpug

its an engine lifting bracket I think, off the nearside end of the head I would think.

Jrod

Cheers Meirion

Jrod

Fitted. :lol:

Jrod

Well the car is back together but I can't bleed the fuel system?

I've squeezed the little rubber thing forever but nothing seems to happen, doiesnt feel like its pumping anything but air, took the top off the fuel filter housing and its still bone dry...

RossD

The one way valve in the handpump may be shafted - Is the pump on the fuel filter assembly or a squeezy thing on the fuel hose? If (as I think it is from what you've written above) its the squeezy thing, remove it and see if the one way valve works! (Also did you remove it, or any of the fuel pipes?? It is on the correct way round??)

CaptainP

Undo one of the injector unions and crank away on. It took a while to get the fuel pumping properly.

welshpug

as mentioned, common for the one way valve in the priming bump to die, about £15 from Peugeot, they're Delphi branded now rather than Lucas as they had been for years so you may be able to source one elsewhere cheaper.

Which fuel pump is it? I think Lucas has a bleed point.

also check the condition of the leakoff pipes, they do have problems when these perish as they suck air back into the system.

Sign in to follow this