• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RobBBoi

Air Lock

RobBBoi

Alright guys. I have just swapped the gearbox on my 1.6 205 gti and got everything sorted apart from the coolant. There is a airlock some where and I can only find one bleed nipple, up by the bulk head. Can some one point some more out for me so I can finally get it back on the road or give me any pointers as to what else it could be. I can't see any plugs that should be attached anywhere so I'm guessing that the waterpump is still functioning. ;)

jord294

the tip with bleeding the coolant system is to make sure you keep the reservoir full while doing it

correct, there is one bleed valve on the top heater matrix pipe by the bulkhead, and you should have another bleed valve just to the top left of the cap which covers your thermostat.

if you have a plastic thermostat cap, there should be a cap on that, but if you have a metal cap, as said, the other bleed valve is to the top left, probably being hidden slightly by the plug lead bracket.

chances are though, the second bleed valve has broke off, but i hope your lucky and it hasn't ;)

RobBBoi

Thanks for the help. Looks like I'm not so lucky though, can't see another bleed nipple anywhere. It must have been broken off. ;) . Is there another way of bleeding the system? Ive just been out and drained the system and refilled it, but still can't get the dash warning light to go out! Are there any plugs or wires anywhere that I can check to make sure I havn't pulled any off? The only one I can see that looks like there should be a connector on there is on the back, slightly underneath the thermostat housing. There are 2 spade connectors, at the minute only one is connected, should there be another cable to connect to the other one? This is the very last thing that is stopping me driving the car. I don't want to go out with a air lock in the cooling system and overheat it!

jackherer

Standard GTIs practically bleed themselves in my experience, just run it with the expansion tank cap off and keep it topped up, maybe give the top rad hose a couple of squeezes, and wait for the fan to cut in a couple of times then put the cap on.

Richie-Van-GTi

The dash warning light relates to level in the expansion bottle and nothing else. Notoriously unreliable as it is. Check its correctly plugged in on the expansion tank, if it is and the tank is full then take the bulb out the dash ;)

ifcho
Standard GTIs practically bleed themselves in my experience, just run it with the expansion tank cap off and keep it topped up, maybe give the top rad hose a couple of squeezes, and wait for the fan to cut in a couple of times then put the cap on.

I second that

RobBBoi

Thanks for the info guys. Ill just let it run then and see what the score is. Hopefully will sort itself out. ;)

ifcho

If the car is completely empty, I usually undo the bleed nipples and fill the tank until water comes from the nipples. Then I close them and resume with the procedure described by hackjerer

Edited by ifcho

RobBBoi

Alll sorted now. Thanks guys. :) Onto the next problem..........

Sign in to follow this