• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Spiky

What Platform Front Suspension For 400-500?

Spiky

sorry tom, i meant from the bonnet to the strut nut

Bally
that looks beefy :) i've got a set of wishbones like that coming and I was wondering on making an extended pin to normalise the wishbone angle like your second pic, had any problems with it?

No problems and has been run like that forever, has now been transferred to my car.

So we have loads of travel and suspension in the correct geometry.

Where the top plates bolt on are also slotted lengthways so we can also adjust camber up there.

jackherer
No problems and has been run like that forever, has now been transferred to my car.

So we have loads of travel and suspension in the correct geometry.

Where the top plates bolt on are also slotted lengthways so we can also adjust camber up there.

Have you done anything to the position of the steering rack or the track rod ends?

tom_m
sorry tom, i meant from the bonnet to the strut nut

ah! plenty of room bonnet to strut nut, but i am going to have to grind a small amount of the bonnet rib away becuse it is fouling on the inside edge of the top mount its self.

i'll grab a pic tonight of it so i can to show you what i mean.

tom_m
Have you done anything to the position of the steering rack or the track rod ends?

you shouldn't need to should you? the position of the hubs hasn't changed relative to the steering rack. just the wishbone relative to the hub.

Bally

Steering Rack is fine, no bump steer at all.

Dj_mini

My gaz dampers are 330mm long (the body of the damper) is that of any help?

Are they both bilstien dampers in thoes pics?

Cheers Dan

Spiky
My gaz dampers are 330mm long (the body of the damper) is that of any help?

Are they both bilstien dampers in thoes pics?

Cheers Dan

thats a great help dude, thanks :D

Spiky

mine are 355mm so yours are smaller than mine

Matt Holley

You have me worried now as I run the same fronts, how did you measure how much damper you had left, I thought I had a fair bit as when I fitted the new springs it was sat really low and I must have raised it 20mm, I cant actually push mine down, it feels solid on 200lb springs, the bodys on mine are quite long, I will measure them at some point.

Spiky

to measure the travel left, i jack the car up on the wishbones until it came off the axle stands, then marked the insert and then dropped the suspension then i could see how much travel was left

matt, any chance i can have a chat?? on the phone now??? ring me and i'll ring you back if you prefer, as i not sure i still got ya number :D

jackherer
you shouldn't need to should you? the position of the hubs hasn't changed relative to the steering rack. just the wishbone relative to the hub.

Theoretically you should to correct bump steer but interestingly Bally says its not an issue...

tom_m

from the bottom of the top mount to the end of the strut is 520mm on my bilsteins. didn't think about measuring just the bodies, i'm afraid.

Spiky
from the bottom of the top mount to the end of the strut is 520mm on my bilsteins. didn't think about measuring just the bodies, i'm afraid.

bugger, the body length is what i'd like :lol:

Bally
Theoretically you should to correct bump steer but interestingly Bally says its not an issue...

Its not an issue, however I am in the process of replacing the steering ends and adding rose joints and a spacer just like the bottom arms.

Matt Holley
bugger, the body length is what i'd like :lol:

My bilstien bodys are 350cm and the insert is about 165cm to the bottom of the top mount so about the same over all as tom_m

Edited by matt holley

James_R

AST's - Awesome werid spring size 60mm, changed as I couldn't run Ecc top mounts with them (not designed to accept them)

Gaz Golds - Awesome, very robust, good adjustment, cheap, ecc's fit fine, readily available spring size 2.5", very short strut assembley, my car is on the would to the top and preloaded slightly and it's the same height as your car in he first post you made, and I have full damper travel.

Only reason I changed to the GAZ's was for the eccentric top mounts and I was that impressed with the set I have on my 306. I run challange tarmac rears.

Spiky

how much are a the gax golds?

have you a picture of them?

James_R

I think they were 175+VAT a side then 9 for top pans and 12 a spring something like that.

I'll take a pic when I'm next at the workshop, but they look like well a sus strut really :)

Spiky

thats a good price :)

can you measure the body too ;)

James_R

Body, piston and total do you??

I'll have a stab and dropping the whole assembley off tuesday and measure up, sure I can find and excuse to remove the suspension again :)

Spiky

yeah body diemensions

piston

and total

and with a given height you car is set to how much travel is left

thanks

much appreciated :)

TVH

Here's my Gaz Gold set:

Pic 1

Pic 2

This set is very good value for money. Notice the progressive rate bump stops on the rear dampers, these work like additional springs without the weight penalty of an additional spring! Damping is very well matched with 325lb front springs (supplied with the kit) and 23mm rear torsion bars. The car just feels 'right', controlled, stable and safe to drive on the limit. I don't find it crashy, just very stiff.

Bad suspension feels crashy because compression is over damped and rebound is not damped at all.

Spiky

yeah they looks nice, can you measure the bodies?

325, mine are 300, and fine them fine :) but i'm running std 309 rear ARB

Spiky
This setup use to work fine on my friends track car and has now been transferred to mine.

n1172200206_30161472_1762.jpg

i forgot to ask

what have you done to the bonnet to accept these mods???

Sign in to follow this